The Student Room Group

How to talk about research/reading that you have done?

There is a research study that I would like to talk about in my personal statement but I am not sure how to do so...
Could someone give me a template and/or some sentence starters that I could use?

Also, how are you supposed to explain why you find something interesting?
(edited 7 years ago)
if you're applying for a less popular degree, chances are, admissions teams won't even look at your personal statement (and only consider your grades)
Original post by shawn_o1
if you're applying for a less popular degree, chances are, admissions teams won't even look at your personal statement (and only consider your grades)

I'm applying for psychology which is competitive pretty much everywhere.
Well then, since you'll be writing lots in psychology you can afford to reserve about 400 words in your PS talking about this research (if it's not research "you" conducted, cite the researchers and explain why you found this study interesting).
Original post by jessyjellytot14
There is a research study that I would like to talk about in my personal statement but I am not sure how to do so...
Could someone give me a template and/or some sentence starters that I could use?

Also, how are you supposed to explain why you find something interesting?

What you talk about depends on what you got from the study in question....

Imagine you're explaining the research study to your mum - what would you emphasise?
Does it agree or disagree with other studies?
Did you find it easy to understand?
Do you want to get involved in follow up studies that would investigate this further?
Did it confirm your expectations or surprise you?
Did it motivate you to find out more or look into different studies on the same topic?

In an ideal world when you're reading these things/watching lectures etc you'd keep a little journal of notes to yourself about what interested/surprised you, what you want to find out more about based on what you just read etc etc
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1

this isn't true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending