The Student Room Group

Bad UKCAT score, I'm really disappointed and don't know what to do now!

Hi just took my UKCAT today and I'm really disappointed with my score, I want to know how much this will affect me getting into medical school. Will any universities take me with this score?

VR-580
QR-640 EDIT: would I be able to apply to Cardiff with these scores?
AR-600
SJ- band 2

I don't really know what happened to me in the exam, I just seemed to run out of time without even having done half the sections, I did well on the practise tests and prepared for about a month intensively. I'm really disappointed.

p.s I'm thinking of doing the BMAT as well

At GCSE I got 7A*s, 3As and 3Bs
At AS I got 4 As in, biology, chemistry, maths and geography.
I've also got plenty of work experience
EDIT NO.2: would you suggest I apply to three BMAT universities?
Thanks so much, I'm stressing
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
That isn't a 'Bad' UKCAT score, yes, it is below average, yes there are some universities that you'll have to avoid, but it isn't the end of the world.
Original post by Gogregg
That isn't a 'Bad' UKCAT score, yes, it is below average, yes there are some universities that you'll have to avoid, but it isn't the end of the world.

do you know which ones? And I think is it a bad UKCAT score I've been reading other threads and nobody has done as bad as me...:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by sunnyshine123
do you know which ones? And I think is it a bad UKCAT score I've been reading other threads and nobody has done as bad as me...:frown:

This is TSR. This website is not representative. Also, when people get their scores, they're more likely to post it if they've done well. Hence you only really see higher scores.

I said that your score is below average. It is not bad. Avoid Kings, Birmingham, Barts, Newcastle, Plymouth, Exeter, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee. I can't think of any others at the moment. It will definitely be worth taking the BMAT, and UEA could be a good choice, a bit of a risk since they do rank applicants on GCSEs and UKCAT score, but looking through past threads, people with lower scores and your sort of GCSEs have been invited to interview, so, while it would be risky, it could be worth applying there.

I can't see where else you should apply, it would be best if you do some further research for yourself, but if you ever have any more questions, there are some very good people on this forum :u:
Original post by Gogregg
This is TSR. This website is not representative. Also, when people get their scores, they're more likely to post it if they've done well. Hence you only really see higher scores.

I said that your score is below average. It is not bad. Avoid Kings, Birmingham, Barts, Newcastle, Plymouth, Exeter, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee. I can't think of any others at the moment. It will definitely be worth taking the BMAT, and UEA could be a good choice, a bit of a risk since they do rank applicants on GCSEs and UKCAT score, but looking through past threads, people with lower scores and your sort of GCSEs have been invited to interview, so, while it would be risky, it could be worth applying there.

I can't see where else you should apply, it would be best if you do some further research for yourself, but if you ever have any more questions, there are some very good people on this forum :u:

Thank so much!!
omg my ukcat was 800, 790 yours is so bad!! 😉

Quick Reply

Latest