University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by ianuam
Apparently the food is awful there.

Yeah that's the college's unfortunate reputation. It comes from people comparing Caius' £4 formals with the £13ish formals you get at other colleges - obviously they wouldn't be the same standard (still way better than anything I'd cook myself though :P ). But Caius has superhalls a couple of times per term, and those are really well done.

Also some people don't like having to go to hall 36 times a term as part of a minimum dining requirement. For fourth years it's only 25 times, and for external Part III's I imagine it'd be the same as grads, so either 16 or 8 depending on whether you live in or not. Not too bad.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by imcr
Yeah that's the college's unfortunate reputation. It comes from people comparing Caius' £4 formals with the £13ish formals you get at other colleges - obviously they wouldn't be the same standard (still way better than anything I'd cook myself though :P ). But Caius has superhalls a couple of times per term, and those are really well done.

Also some people don't like having to go to hall 36 times a term as part of a minimum dining requirement. For fourth years it's only 25 times, and for external Part III's I imagine it'd be the same as grads, so either 16 or 8 depending on whether you live in or not. Not too bad.

Some students have to go to hall 36 times per term?! :O What happens if they don't meet this minimum? I mean, that's a crazy number of evenings per term!
Reply 1982
Original post by llacerta
Some students have to go to hall 36 times per term?! :O What happens if they don't meet this minimum? I mean, that's a crazy number of evenings per term!

Yeah that's undergrads in first to third year. The only penalty is that you have to pay for 36 anyway, so if you don't go you're wasting money. It actually has a positive side, which is that it encourages people across the college to meet every couple of evenings for a meal. So it's a good meet-up time with friends (no guilt about skipping work), or you can see people you wouldn't get to see normally. They don't last very long either, only about 45 mins, so it doesn't take too much time out of the day.

...I should start a Caius hall marketing campaign or something.
Reply 1983
Caius is a beautiful college, and manages to be central without being overrun by tourists the way some others are.
Where do most postgraduate students live though ?
Reply 1984
Original post by sj27
Caius is a beautiful college, and manages to be central without being overrun by tourists the way some others are.
Where do most postgraduate students live though ?

I know PhD students who lived on Harvey Road and Gresham Road, down in the south of Cambridge. I think most Caius grad accommodation is in that area. It's about 20 mins' walk to college; cycling is popular.
Hi guys,

Sorry to trouble you with one of the most common types of posts, but i was wondering if i could have your opinion on my chances of being admitted into Oxbridge.

Applying for:
MSc Economic and Social History at Oxford
Mphil Economics at Oxford
Mphil Management at Cambridge

Studying: BSc Economics and Geography at QMUL ( with slight specialization in Eco)

Grades:
1st year -> 71 %
2nd year -> 74% with an award for the highest performance by a second year human geographer ( rank 1 of the department)

I have 3 academic referees, one of those is closely tied to my proposed dissertation title for the Oxford degrees. I am expecting that all three of my referees will produce fantastic letters.

Internships -> Deloitte Advisory, Grant Thornton Audit, Accounts department in a small scale comm bank of my country
Have also done voluntary work ( with certificate) for the last couple of years

Non-academic publication on the emergence and establishment of the BRIC(S) economies in a magazine.

I would also like to ask another - common - question : Does it matter when i submit my application to these institutions ? For example ,if i submit my apps right at the beginning of September will i have any advantage over an applicant who submits his/her app in January?

Lastly, do you have any tips that would prove to be useful when writing my PS?

Cheers

(Would also like to add that i am the events officer of my country's society at the university, and i am also a mentor for a group of first year students)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BruceWaynee
Hi guys,

Sorry to trouble you with one of the most common types of posts, but i was wondering if i could have your opinion on my chances of being admitted into Oxbridge.

Applying for:
MSc Economic and Social History at Oxford
Mphil Economics at Oxford
Mphil Management at Cambridge

Studying: BSc Economics and Geography at QMUL ( with slight specialization in Eco)

Grades:
1st year -> 71 %
2nd year -> 74% with an award for the highest performance by a second year human geographer ( rank 1 of the department)

I have 3 academic referees, one of those is closely tied to my proposed dissertation title for the Oxford degrees. I am expecting that all three of my referees will produce fantastic letters.

Internships -> Deloitte Advisory, Grant Thornton Audit, Accounts department in a small scale comm bank of my country
Have also done voluntary work ( with certificate) for the last couple of years

Non-academic publication on the emergence and establishment of the BRIC(S) economies in a magazine.

I would also like to ask another - common - question : Does it matter when i submit my application to these institutions ? For example ,if i submit my apps right at the beginning of September will i have any advantage over an applicant who submits his/her app in January?

Lastly, do you have any tips that would prove to be useful when writing my PS?

Cheers

(Would also like to add that i am the events officer of my country's society at the university, and i am also a mentor for a group of first year students)

You look competitive.
There's no 'best time' to submit applications.
I scraped a first at UG (+ got a strong distinction at MA fwiw) and got a funded phd offer from history at cambridge, so if you don't get in on the first go, have another shot.
Hi guys!

This is my first post :smile:

I am just wondering that the first year grades (UK Universities, undergraduate degree) are important while applying an ox-bridge postgraduate course?

Because only 2nd and 3rd year grades will be calculated for the overall degree grade.
Original post by covlondoner
Hi guys!

This is my first post :smile:

I am just wondering that the first year grades (UK Universities, undergraduate degree) are important while applying an ox-bridge postgraduate course?

Because only 2nd and 3rd year grades will be calculated for the overall degree grade.

If you're applying to a course before you've received your overall degree classification (i.e. during your third year) then the universities will use whatever academic information you give them, including your first and second year marks. That's not to say these marks have to be amazing; if there's a large improvement from first to second year, I imagine the latter results are given more weight. But as a rule of thumb everything you give to the university as part of an application is used in assessing whether you are suitable for the course.
Reply 1989
It certainly has some importance, hence them asking for full transcripts and not just final degree classification in your application. I agree with llacerta that an improvement over time can offset weaker first year grades, but if this is the case you'd ideally want to have your final degree classification before applying too I think (to prove that second year is not the anomaly), although an offer before you've graduated would obviously be conditional anyway. Also, for highly competitive courses they might prefer someone who has shown consistently strong grades.
Hi all!

I'm beginning my 3rd year/ last undergrad year this October, and I'm planning to apply for a Cambridge Master's. I've decided on the department that I'm interested in, the professors that I want to work with, and the area and section of research, but I'm not 100% set on what project I'd like to do. I have my last year undergrad project already decided on, and I want my Master's project to be something related, but not sure exactly what yet.

To my understanding, it's best to email professors before applying officially, but how common is for successful applicants not to know exactly what they want to do? Will this reflect badly on me for being undecided? Should I say that I'm interested in their work, but not sure what project I want? Should I not email the professors beforehand? Is it late seeing that the applications open next month? I was planning to talk to my undergrad supervisor before, but I wanted a one-on-one meeting which I won't be able to have before October when my year starts. I also checked their 'recommended projects' in the area, but none of them were in the section that I'm interested in,

How should I proceed? I'm applying only to this one Master's course, so I'm trying to make the best application I can.
Original post by lostkauze
Hi all!

I'm beginning my 3rd year/ last undergrad year this October, and I'm planning to apply for a Cambridge Master's. I've decided on the department that I'm interested in, the professors that I want to work with, and the area and section of research, but I'm not 100% set on what project I'd like to do. I have my last year undergrad project already decided on, and I want my Master's project to be something related, but not sure exactly what yet.

To my understanding, it's best to email professors before applying officially, but how common is for successful applicants not to know exactly what they want to do? Will this reflect badly on me for being undecided? Should I say that I'm interested in their work, but not sure what project I want? Should I not email the professors beforehand? Is it late seeing that the applications open next month? I was planning to talk to my undergrad supervisor before, but I wanted a one-on-one meeting which I won't be able to have before October when my year starts. I also checked their 'recommended projects' in the area, but none of them were in the section that I'm interested in,

How should I proceed? I'm applying only to this one Master's course, so I'm trying to make the best application I can.

The whole emailing the professors thing depends entirely on the department. Some departments specifically direct you to not to get in contact before applying for an MPhil. It's only at PhD where you always contact beforehand.
Original post by lostkauze

Firstly, don't panic about getting in an early application - the only important deadlines are those for funding (if you're applying for it) and for the course itself - as long as you apply before the deadline, it's better to take your time over it. Depending on your subject, it's likely that questions or areas for further exploration will arise from your undergrad project, so that will help you to formulate your Masters proposal in more depth - so the further you are through that, the better.

Having said that, some funding deadlines are horribly early, watch out for that.

Have you seen the GRADSAF (application form)? That will give you a good idea of the complexity of the process, and you have to consider departmental requirements on top of that.

http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.2016.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/online_application_guide_0.pdf

And don't get hung up on emailing professors, like ianuam says it might not even be necessary.
Original post by Jantaculum
Firstly, don't panic about getting in an early application - the only important deadlines are those for funding (if you're applying for it) and for the course itself - as long as you apply before the deadline, it's better to take your time over it. Depending on your subject, it's likely that questions or areas for further exploration will arise from your undergrad project, so that will help you to formulate your Masters proposal in more depth - so the further you are through that, the better.

Having said that, some funding deadlines are horribly early, watch out for that.

Have you seen the GRADSAF (application form)? That will give you a good idea of the complexity of the process, and you have to consider departmental requirements on top of that.

http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.2016.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/online_application_guide_0.pdf

And don't get hung up on emailing professors, like ianuam says it might not even be necessary.

oh god yeah, the funding... when i was applying for the phd I missed the AHRC form. Finally discovered I was supposed to submit it about 20 sodding days after it was due. After some frantic emailing, I submitted it and they accepted it, but i didn't get ahrc funding. I did get two other scholarships, so it didn't mean I didn't get to go, but don't assume everything's in an obvious place.
Original post by ianuam
oh god yeah, the funding... when i was applying for the phd I missed the AHRC form. Finally discovered I was supposed to submit it about 20 sodding days after it was due. After some frantic emailing, I submitted it and they accepted it, but i didn't get ahrc funding. I did get two other scholarships, so it didn't mean I didn't get to go, but don't assume everything's in an obvious place.

should we tell lostkauze that, comparatively, getting the place is the easy bit compared to getting funding - or do you think that'd put him/her off altogether?:eek:
Original post by Jantaculum
should we tell lostkauze that, comparatively, getting the place is the easy bit compared to getting funding - or do you think that'd put him/her off altogether?:eek:

hahaha well i think it's best that they don't get their hopes up when they get the acceptance email!
I have seen varying, even conflicting, information on this site about how much the 'prestige' of your undergraduate university affects your application with some posters saying it should have no effect at all and others saying if you go to a 'lower tier' university your application would have to be of a higher caliber. Firstly, does anyone else have any further insight on this? Secondly I was wondering how my university would be considered. I go to Sussex which sometimes gets a bad rep on this website 'for not being Russell group' but my understanding is it has a pretty good reputation amongst academics (obviously not seen in the league of Oxbridge, UCL, LSE etc. but along the lines of Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Nottingham, Glasgow etc.) and my department has consistently been ranked top 5 in the UK for 'research influence'. I would expect an applicant from Oxbridge to be treated more leniently than me but, other than that, how, if at all, do you think my application will be affected by my Sussex BA?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys! Bit worried and wondered if anyone could please help :frown:
I do Law at Reading and my first year results were all 2.1s, which I know they won't take into consideration. My second year results were 2.2s with a couple of exceptions (like two very high 2.1s) but I have been given extenuating circumstances from my university, given I had several family problems (mum was very ill and grandad diagnosed with terminal cancer) in my second year, which definitely impacted my grade.
I know I can do a lot better than my second year results, with the end goal coming out with a First or a very high 2.1; my tutor has predicted me the latter.
Just to give you a picture of the rest of my application, I know exactly what course I would love to do at Oxford, I have a proposal in mind and my final year dissertation is related to the course. I have relevant work experience from different sources, have been volunteering for several years, a part time job in administrative work and my a-level grades are A*A*A.
I just wondered if there is any point applying or if I should look elsewhere??
Thanks in advance for any advice :redface:
Reply 1998
Original post by jwallis95
I do Law at Reading and my first year results were all 2.1s, which I know they won't take into consideration. My second year results were 2.2s with a couple of exceptions (like two very high 2.1s) but I have been given extenuating circumstances from my university, given I had several family problems (mum was very ill and grandad diagnosed with terminal cancer) in my second year, which definitely impacted my grade.
I know I can do a lot better than my second year results, with the end goal coming out with a First or a very high 2.1; my tutor has predicted me the latter.
Just to give you a picture of the rest of my application, I know exactly what course I would love to do at Oxford, I have a proposal in mind and my final year dissertation is related to the course. I have relevant work experience from different sources, have been volunteering for several years, a part time job in administrative work and my a-level grades are A*A*A.

Your final year and dissertation are more important. Don't give up.
Reply 1999
Original post by jwallis95

Make sure your referees mention the extenuating circumstances. If you are unsuccessful and your final results are better than your predictions, then reapplying after you graduate is another option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending