The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Craghyrax
Oi! None of that! I'm determined to match you in this pessimism competition :hmmm:

I doubt you could match me. Pessimism is currently my middle name :ninja:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 381
Craghyrax
But generally - good! I'll be very lucky if I get onto the Masters I want to, because I seem to be incapable of good exam performance, no matter how well my written work is. And coursework here is very limited :sad:

PS: How did you get 90!? :eyeball:

Only got marks like 90s for EMQs (which unfortunately were first year only) http://archive.student.bmj.com/search/pdf/02/11/sbmj406.pdf

I feel for the pessimism that strikes at this time of year...and would definitely say that networking/tutors knowing you and writing good refs can be instrumental in getting a Masters place (as I know someone a couple of years ago who got a high 2:2 and still got on an MSc straight from BSc).
swiftuk

I feel for the pessimism that strikes at this time of year...and would definitely say that networking/tutors knowing you and writing good refs can be instrumental in getting a Masters place (as I know someone a couple of years ago who got a high 2:2 and still got on an MSc straight from BSc).

That's my plan. Am hoping that by having a referee who's a big, respected name in the field that I'm hoping to go into, that the departments I apply to may consider me anyway. Plus by reapplying to Oxford for postgraduate study, I'm effectively applying to study with him (no one else fits my area of music), so hopefully if I work hard and impress him now with my dissertation, that'll help :smile:
Reply 383
The_Lonely_Goatherd
That's my plan. Am hoping that by having a referee who's a big, respected name in the field that I'm hoping to go into, that the departments I apply to may consider me anyway. Plus by reapplying to Oxford for postgraduate study, I'm effectively applying to study with him (no one else fits my area of music), so hopefully if I work hard and impress him now with my dissertation, that'll help :smile:

This certainly seems to be something that academics themselves believe in too - I asked my Latin teacher to be my referee for my Oxford Linguistics course and he said that he would but that as a part-time, non-PhD-holding member of staff it may be better for him to team up with my personal tutor (PhD holder who now actually works as a tutor as Corpus Christi, Oxford) as he felt the reference would have a bit more clout with his name on it. It obviously worked (for one reason or another!) *points at sig* so I would definitely go with that strategy if I were you :smile:
swiftuk
Only got marks like 90s for EMQs (which unfortunately were first year only) http://archive.student.bmj.com/search/pdf/02/11/sbmj406.pdf

Well done anyway.
swiftuk

Yeh, that won't be a problem I'm hoping, but again I'd have my hands tied without any funding.
Reply 385
Craghyrax
Yeh, that won't be a problem I'm hoping, but again I'd have my hands tied without any funding.

Yes...postgrad work is different, so it may be you could get a department award? (not that I know much about the non-project specific awards).
swiftuk
Yes...postgrad work is different, so it may be you could get a department award? (not that I know much about the non-project specific awards).

Is that something that gets awarded to good undergrads, or to people about to start postgraduate courses? :confused:
Reply 387
Craghyrax
Is that something that gets awarded to good undergrads, or to people about to start postgraduate courses? :confused:

People about to start postgrad courses, although admittedly if you are considering starting in '09-'10, you haven't really got a chance for the research council awards (they give doctoral funding accounts to some unis, although I'm not that hot on humanities funding).

Might be worth starting up a separate thread? (not sure how much a CDL would cover, although I did CDL and grants for my MSc).
swiftuk
People about to start postgrad courses, although admittedly if you are considering starting in '09-'10, you haven't really got a chance for the research council awards (they give doctoral funding accounts to some unis, although I'm not that hot on humanities funding).

No, I'd be starting 2010-2011. I'm only beginning the process now because I think the Cambridge application deadline is January or something, and I've heard its really involved, and that finding referees can take ages so should be seen to sooner rather than later.
swiftuk

Might be worth starting up a separate thread? (not sure how much a CDL would cover, although I did CDL and grants for my MSc).

No, don't worry about it. Its a bit premature. I'll just read up on everything first before asking questions that have been answered a hundred times over.
Reply 389
Hi,
does anyone possibly know if it will help my application to oxbridge if I take some international subject tests like the GRE test (this is required by many american unis)? Or is there another test more recognised by UK unis (i.e. oxbridge)?

Or will these tests not help me at all?

thanks in advance
Depends on what you're applying for and how good they are. For my course the GRE was compulsory, for other courses it "may help your application" for others the really don't care.
Reply 391
I am going to apply for masters mathematics (oxbridge). So do you think GRE is appropriate for me?

And if I decided to do the GRE, should I do
the general test or would the subject test be enough?
Or both?
I would personally prefer only the subject one, but I have no idea what the admissions people appreciate more.

And does the general GRE actually tell them anything at all about how good you are going to be in the area you are will be studying?

(sorry for all the questions :o: and thanks for help)
Reply 392
Does anyone how much relevant work experience accounts for in your application?

I am on an internship right now which is related to my degree (Economics) and am tentatively thinking about doing postgrad.
For Maths I will ask my housemate as he is doing part III so might know.
I really don't think you should bother if it's not a required criteria, you'd be better off doing something more useful. I think people over here have barely even heard of the GRE subject tests.

RE Economics and WE, it's not necessary, I'm doing MPhil Econ and I had no work experience, however having a good internship might look nice. It's only useful in terms of showing your interest in your course though and probably won't be a crucial deciding factor. At the end of the day academics is what matters for oxbridge admissions.
Reply 394
^^ Don't you mean criteriON, since you only refer to one?
Angelil

pedant linguist :p:
Reply 396
Both actually :tongue:
Angelil

I'm not going to even say anything in my defence, yes I did mean criterion.
Reply 398
roxy potter
For Maths I will ask my housemate as he is doing part III so might know.

that would be really great if you could :smile:

The reason why I am considering doing the GRE is that I need something of "international meaning" that will give them an idea of how I perform compared to some international standards. I study outside the UK and I doubt they have ever heard of the uni I study at. (ok, probably they have, but only very broadly). So even if I have best possible marks here, I don't see how can they assess how much weight these carry compared to, for example, getting top marks at oxbridge.
I get what you mean about international standards, that's the reason my course asked for a GRE in the first place, but I don't know how useful that will be if they can't compare you to everyone else in your class, unless you max it, which is (almost) impossible in the verbal, not that that would matter for maths, everyone in Maths III would (more than likely) be expected to max the quant so that wouldn't be very impressive. (Okay that sentence is way to long)

Having done the GRE and gotten a decent score I can safely say that it is completely useless and it isn't a measure of intelligence, it's expensive (between paying to sit it and get materials) and it takes up time that would be better spent doing other things.

My advice:redface:nly do it if you have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending