The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Oh, thanks, but I don't think it applies, as I would be paying overseas fees anyway.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
flaneur28
Oh, thanks, but I don't think it applies, as I would be paying overseas fees anyway.

You're correct - your fees will be the same. The fees could be found here http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/studentfunding/fees/feerates/nextyear/pgt%20new%2010-11%20v4.pdf for Oxford.
Reply 782
I've just had a really lame response to a query I put forward to the Cambridge postgrad people regarding the course I should apply for. Because of the inter-disciplinary nature of my proposed dissertation, I was asking whether I should apply to do the History or English MA. The rather unhelpful response was that they do not 'pre-screen' applications and that I would therefore have to submit my application online, 'following procedures (as all other applicants do)'. They didn't even spell my name right. Other universities have answered my question satisfactorily.
Reply 783
stickpin
I've just had a really lame response to a query I put forward to the Cambridge postgrad people regarding the course I should apply for. Because of the inter-disciplinary nature of my proposed dissertation, I was asking whether I should apply to do the History or English MA. The rather unhelpful response was that they do not 'pre-screen' applications and that I would therefore have to submit my application online, 'following procedures (as all other applicants do)'. They didn't even spell my name right. Other universities have answered my question satisfactorily.

It's a legal/liability issue that a university should avoid. If other universities gave you a 'satisfactory' response, that's their prerogative.
Reply 784
stickpin

General admissions are probably not the best people to ask such a question. Try contacting whoever deals with popstgrad admissions in relevent departments and you should get much more informed responses.
Reply 785
Apply for both courses. It's more work, sure, but at least then any doubt on your part is absolved.
How important is work experience?
synvilla
How important is work experience?

For what? Admissions? Funding? Life in general?
apotoftea
For what? Admissions? Funding? Life in general?

Sorry for being vague. I meant for getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate study. The actual admission process. How much higher value, if any, will my application have with relevant work experience?
synvilla
Sorry for being vague. I meant for getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate study. The actual admission process. How much higher value, if any, will my application have with relevant work experience?

Hard to say but if you've got relevant work experience then I can't see it harming your application :smile:
apotoftea
Hard to say but if you've got relevant work experience then I can't see it harming your application :smile:

But you don't reckon it will make much of a difference? Not a major one, at least?
synvilla
But you don't reckon it will make much of a difference? Not a major one, at least?

No idea :smile: For admission to the MBA, of course it will. Working in a publishing house for an English MSt/DPhil, maybe, but probably less so compared to references, academic record/potential, proposal, written work etc.
Reply 792
Depends on the course, of course.
Angelil
Depends on the course, of course.

I'm mostly interested in comparative politics.
Reply 794
I forget where I picked up this bit of information (and am not sure how subjective it is): i.e a 2.2 plus MA is considered equivalent to a 2.1. Is this convention? Also, would a 2.1 plus an MSc be considered a 1.1 on applications? I realize that this may be a futile question as I have sent off my application, but the (extended) wait has got me wondering...Any thoughts?
flaneur28
I forget where I picked up this bit of information (and am not sure how subjective it is): i.e a 2.2 plus MA is considered equivalent to a 2.1. Is this convention? Also, would a 2.1 plus an MSc be considered a 1.1 on applications? I realize that this may be a futile question as I have sent off my application, but the (extended) wait has got me wondering...Any thoughts?

What academic profile did you apply with? I.e what's your academic background etc
Reply 796
flaneur28

I doubt that it really works like that; it sounds far too simplistic to me...:erm: I mean, obviously a 2.2 followed by a decent MA performance will look better than a 2.2 followed by nothing at all, and as the work you did on your MA is usually more closely related to what you'll be doing in your PhD, universities might weight it a bit more, but an MA won't somehow transform 2.2s into 2.1s and 2.1s into firsts. Not to mention that it doesn't really make a lot of sense to convert postgraduate results into undergraduate 'equivalents' when quite often you can't actually apply for PhDs with just an undergraduate degree.*

*Yes, scientists can, but they're pretty much the only ones.
hobnob
I doubt that it really works like that; it sounds far too simplistic to me...:erm: I mean, obviously a 2.2 followed by a decent MA performance will look better than a 2.2 followed by nothing at all, and as the work you did on your MA is usually more closely related to what you'll be doing in your PhD, universities might weight it a bit more, but an MA won't somehow transform 2.2s into 2.1s and 2.1s into firsts. Not to mention that it doesn't really make a lot of sense to convert postgraduate results into undergraduate 'equivalents' when quite often you can't actually apply for PhDs with just an undergraduate degree.*

*Yes, scientists can, but they're pretty much the only ones.

From what I understood from her, she's applying for a second masters at Oxford after finishing a first masters from LSE, so I definitely think that her first masters will be beneficial for the application, even though her equivalence of 2.1 in her BA won't magically turn into a first according the admission people.
Reply 798
For postgraduate study cambridge requires a first from a decent university. What exactly to they class as a decent university? I am considering applying to hull(as insurance) for history and politics. It is good for the subjects but probably not 'decent' overall. Could someone please tell me which universites are considered to be decent and which are not as I plan to study at oxbridge postgraduate.
Where do Cambridge use the word 'decent' or the phrase 'decent university' in their literature? The academic requirements for postgrad study vary by degree course and on the departments judgement of the academic ability of the applicant. Take a look at some departmental staff lists and look at the range of universities staff have studied at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending