The Student Room Group

Americans Applying to Postgrad Thread 2017/2018

Hey all,

Are there any other Americans applying to postgrad programs in the UK for a 2017 start? I didn't see a general thread for this, so I thought I'd start one.

I'll be applying to taught history masters programs with the intention of eventually going on to the PhD.

Anybody else?
Reply 1
Hi,

To my knowledge there is no dedicated thread for US applicants as they tend to apply to a wide range of subjects. Most US applicants tend to post on individual schools such as UCL/Oxbridge postgrad 2016.along with home applicants. For visa specific queries, there is a separate thread for all international students.

If you have questions on course and city, most home students are happy to help. This is a friendly forum.
Reply 2
Original post by Tcannon
Hi,

To my knowledge there is no dedicated thread for US applicants as they tend to apply to a wide range of subjects. Most US applicants tend to post on individual schools such as UCL/Oxbridge postgrad 2016.along with home applicants. For visa specific queries, there is a separate thread for all international students.

If you have questions on course and city, most home students are happy to help. This is a friendly forum.

Thanks! This forum was supremely helpful when I did my undergrad apps, by the way.

I'm still curious to connect with other US based applicants, however. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by etoile89
Hey all,

Are there any other Americans applying to postgrad programs in the UK for a 2017 start? I didn't see a general thread for this, so I thought I'd start one.

I'll be applying to taught history masters programs with the intention of eventually going on to the PhD.

Anybody else?

Hey! I'm a fellow American, looking to apply to postgraduate international relations programs in London for 2017.

Pretty nervous about moving to London since I know nobody there. What about you?
Reply 4
Great idea for a thread.

I am not sure I count as American as I grew up in Denmark for most of my life, but ever since I graduated from my exchange student visit for high hchool in Wisconsin, I decided to stick around for college also. I am graduating with a BSc in Business Admin in May and I have applied for a few Master's courses in the UK.

Kind of excited to move back to Europe - hopefully the UK will be to my liking.

I am not good at dealing with all this waiting around for an acceptance letter. How do you all cope with it? I have a 3.59 GPA so I am not sure if that will suffice for the top schools or if it is more so for the upper average. Only time will tell ..

I am based in Minnesota, by the way.

Would be fun to connect with you all once we start out programs.
Reply 5
Original post by Twooz
Great idea for a thread.

I am not sure I count as American as I grew up in Denmark for most of my life, but ever since I graduated from my exchange student visit for high hchool in Wisconsin, I decided to stick around for college also. I am graduating with a BSc in Business Admin in May and I have applied for a few Master's courses in the UK.

Kind of excited to move back to Europe - hopefully the UK will be to my liking.

I am not good at dealing with all this waiting around for an acceptance letter. How do you all cope with it? I have a 3.59 GPA so I am not sure if that will suffice for the top schools or if it is more so for the upper average. Only time will tell ..

I am based in Minnesota, by the way.

Would be fun to connect with you all once we start out programs.

Nice. I'm more curious to speak with individuals applying to UK programs while they are in the US / have US credentials -- less so than with only Americans. :P

Where did you apply? I haven't sent my applications off yet. I'm going to do it by November 15th.

Right now, I'm applying to a couple PhD programs in the US and a few MA programs in the UK: Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Durham, York, St. Andrews, and potentially Edinburgh.
Reply 6
I did my undergraduate in the US. Now I'm applying to Entrepreneurship MSc programs.

Already got accepted by City University, but waiting on UCL and Imperial which are my top choices.
I applied to the online Master's program in history at Edinburgh back at the end of October. Still waiting for a decision.
Original post by etoile89
Hey all,

Anybody else?

I'm also doing taught History. I'll be doing the History of Medicine MA at Newcastle! What about you?
Reply 9
Hi everyone!I'm also an American student (from Texas) and have accepted an offer for Newcastle this year in September. :smile: Quite chuffed about it. I'll be a postgrad. student in the Cross-Cultural Communication
So excited to see someone else going to Newcastle! We ought to meet up once we are both there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending