The Student Room Group

Do universities look at the subject dropped at AS?

Hi! I'm stuck on whether to take sociology or classical civilisation as my fourth subject.
Currently I'm doing
History
English literature
Classical civilisation
Philosophy and ethics

I'm just really stuck because I've been thinking of changing classical civilisation to sociology. I love and enjoy both subjects but I'm worried that sociology is less respected than classical civilisation and I don't want to do something that's not respected. However sociology or classical civilisation, whichever one I choose will be the subject that I drop at AS. My question is, do universities care about the subject done for AS only or just the grade you got in it. I honestly think I could get a better AS grade in sociology but class civ is more respected. I want to go to Cambridge for a law degree. Should I do the AS I might do worse in but is more respected or the AS I'll do better in but is less respected?

Do universities even care about what you did for AS? Or do they just care about the a levels?
Reply 1
Original post by Kaneki_
Hi! I'm stuck on whether to take sociology or classical civilisation as my fourth subject.
Currently I'm doing
History
English literature
Classical civilisation
Philosophy and ethics

I'm just really stuck because I've been thinking of changing classical civilisation to sociology. I love and enjoy both subjects but I'm worried that sociology is less respected than classical civilisation and I don't want to do something that's not respected. However sociology or classical civilisation, whichever one I choose will be the subject that I drop at AS. My question is, do universities care about the subject done for AS only or just the grade you got in it. I honestly think I could get a better AS grade in sociology but class civ is more respected. I want to go to Cambridge for a law degree. Should I do the AS I might do worse in but is more respected or the AS I'll do better in but is less respected?

Do universities even care about what you did for AS? Or do they just care about the a levels?

Unis only care if you have 2 (or more) of the less respected subjects. So since your other subjects are fine, it really doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest