The Student Room Group

What jobs will a mech engineering degree get as opposed just to having a HNC

Hi all,

I'm 20, got a HNC, finished a 4 year apprenticeship in mechanical engineering and have landed a well paying job as a design engineer.

I'm at a crossroads at the minute, i can't decide if to continue and pursue my studies by getting a degree, or focus my time on areas relevant to my job such as CAD, safety, and getting as much industrial experience as possible. I can climb the ladder so to speak at my current position, gain more responsibility and experience and ultimately increase my pay over time. However i just think with a degree, will it open more doors to work in other countries, take on more exciting jobs etc.... if so what kind of jobs? I'm a design engineer with a HNC currently, if you search for this type of job typically you need a degree! I could go full time uni. but think of how much knowledge ill have gained by just working full time! there are currently graduates in out office earning the same as me, and there like 24/25 with degree's I'm ambitious and i believe despite their degrees i have to potential to progress at the rates they are in terms of pay and responsibility

What do y'll thin?k? All opinions are welcome. Thanks

Dan
Throw out some applications, gauge response.

Just apply to other companies and see the response you get and see if you think it matters. Experience in engineering probably counts for more than your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending