The Student Room Group

LLB essential reading vs additional reading.

So my reading list is split into 2 sections - essential reading and additional reading. There are 2 essential books that are recommended to us for buying, which Im fine completely fine with. However, the additional reading has 5 more books!!

How much should I be reading for a high 2.1? Lecturers do say the more you read, the better grade you get, but its easier said than done really. How much does everyone else read?

Note: Im doing 3 modules in first semester which would be reading more than 20 books for all 3. Yep...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I wouldn't recommend buying any of the additional reading books - if you really want them you can go to the library, but my experience was that the online databases are much better. Best piece of advice I would give about reading extra pieces is to find a couple of journals/articles, skim over the introduction & conclusion and get the gist of what the author's argument is, and then pick a quote or two that shows that and learn that. Referring to journals/academics in exams is going to really give your marks a boost.

In terms of reading, I did nowhere near all of the essential reading, never mind all of the additional reading. You quickly learn how to read in a smart way and not just read endless amounts of rubbish on the pretence that reading more has to be a good thing.*
Reply 2
Original post by Dewsy
I wouldn't recommend buying any of the additional reading books - if you really want them you can go to the library, but my experience was that the online databases are much better. Best piece of advice I would give about reading extra pieces is to find a couple of journals/articles, skim over the introduction & conclusion and get the gist of what the author's argument is, and then pick a quote or two that shows that and learn that. Referring to journals/academics in exams is going to really give your marks a boost.

In terms of reading, I did nowhere near all of the essential reading, never mind all of the additional reading. You quickly learn how to read in a smart way and not just read endless amounts of rubbish on the pretence that reading more has to be a good thing.*

Thank you for replying! This really puts me at ease. Do you mind if I ask what grade you received in 1st year?
Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to go above and beyond the minimum (grade) then I'd say any and every reading above and beyond the minimum required is essential reading!

High 2.1's and first's rely on the originality of your argument, as well as other things, and you'll develop a well rounded, balanced and original argument as you read around
Reply 4
Original post by ACz09
Thank you for replying! This really puts me at ease. Do you mind if I ask what grade you received in 1st year?
Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Went to Durham - Got 66 in first year, 68 in second and just edged over 70 overall after 3rd year.
Reply 5
Original post by Dewsy
Went to Durham - Got 66 in first year, 68 in second and just edged over 70 overall after 3rd year.

Wow those grades are amazing, especially your first, congratulations!. Thanks for the advice, I will try and do what you said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you are going to be given a lot of essential reading this year- try and do all of it. don't pay so much attention to the additional reading, make sure you get all the core stuff done and then if you have the chance try to do some additional reading. last year I didn't do all the essential reading and I regret it. get it out of the way it will pay off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending