The Student Room Group

Volunteering at a Charity Shop

Hi,

I've found a charity shop where I can volunteer (already got the place) and any sales are donated towards a hospice and I was wondering whether it would be worth to do it. I won't have any real patient experience and it's more like retail and now I'm not sure whether I should do it because I have been told that I should volunteer somewhere where I kinda work alongside doctors and nurses etc.. I'm just afraid that all my work might be pointless when it comes to applying to medicine.
Reply 1
Hi there!

I volunteered in a charity shop (also for a hospice) for nearly two years and I'm about to start a politics degree.

Yeah, it may not seem super relevant but it shows that you are a well-rounded person, especially as it is a combination of charity and a job. It shows you can learn new skills. It's not like it's the only thing you can do. In the holidays, you can volunteer at a hospital, you're not bound to the charity shop. Just work experience won't get you far.

Medicine is INCREDIBLY competitive (one of my best friends is about to start her medical degree). Thousands of others will have the grades needed, but universities look for a well rounded candidate. You need to have more interests than medicine. I loved working in the shop, especially since it was going towards a charity I truly care about.

Best of luck! Feel free to message me if you need any advice about working in a charity shop x
Volunteering experience is really important, and in a charity shop you'll meet lots of people, develop communication and team working skills etc., so it would be a worthwhile experience.*
However, if you're only going to do one volunteer thing, I'd try to get something with patient exposure as this will be better for medical applications. Have you considered volunteering in the hospice the charity shop fundraises for? Or in a hospital or nursing home instead?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending