The Student Room Group

Do you think the A level reforms are unfair?

Scroll to see replies

At first I thought WHYYYYY??? Honestly, I felt like dolly the sheep!
But after receiving my AS grades, I can tell you now - they are GREAT! it's like a second chance although your predictions have to be high to get where you want :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by oni176
I'm not sure the affect on a level reform exams on other subjects, but for Science related subjects it is not just acceptable.

Science, especially Biology, has a lot of content to cover. As I sat the AS exams this year, I didn't like the way the exams were structured. They are putting so many irrelevant stuff such as putting a huge emphasis on mathematical calculations and application questions and not actually covering the whole specification. Obviously exams cannot cover everything, but they should at least occupy the vast majority of useful information being taught. In addition, the practicals will be assessed, but it does not contribute to the overall mark. Finally there is a 'Unified' paper for all Science subjects where anything could possibly come up from Years 12 and 13.

Some of the mathematical calculations for instance that used to be 3 marks in past exams could also possibly come up as being worth 1 mark in the multiple choice question that has been recently introduced for example.

Unfortunately, examiners are being too specific on one section of the module and do not cover all areas well.
In addition, teachers are not certain how to test individuals. They just give us past papers from the legacy qualification. However, sitting an exam this year, I found out that those past papers are not beneficial, as the mark schemes are made more rigorous.

The reform may be a good idea but the expectations has been increased massively. I would have adviced them to slow down the process so that students are fully confident and the teachers know these expectations so that they are able to teach students.

Everyone has access the same resources from the exam board. You are ranked against the other people that took the exams. It's fair.

Having strong mathematical skills is probably the most important thing for a scientist, so it makes sense you will be heavily tested with maths questions.
Idk the reforms are good and bad
Good in that if we flunk AS we don't have to do a million resits
Bad in that we have to remember last year's content
And its a new spec so no real past papers (of course old spec ones are fine to use ) and nobody has done them before us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by alow
Everyone has access the same resources from the exam board. You are ranked against the other people that took the exams. It's fair.

Having strong mathematical skills is probably the most important thing for a scientist, so it makes sense you will be heavily tested with maths questions.

It is not simply preferable because it will basically be a luck game where the questions that you don't fully remember or not fully confident at answering may result from poor grades. There are no re-sit opportunities for January exams either. On the other hand, the legacy qualification tested your ability on everything that coud possibly come up.
Reply 64
Original post by valbrechts
In my school (somewhere in Wales), u just tell the teachers what grades u need to apply for uni and they give it to u. lmao

Really??? What did you ask your teachers for and what did you get at AS?
Original post by APersonYo
Really??? What did you ask your teachers for and what did you get at AS?

In Wales, AS grades still count for the overall A-Level but only 40%

For AS I had AAB (biol economics chemistry) so I didnt have to ask my teachers to 'boost' my grades so A2 predicitons are AAA by logic. The only people Ive seen asking for higher grades are the ones who were supposed to do well (ie. A* GCSE keds) but got Bs Cs and Ds instead

For my AS mocks I had: C - economics, E - biol, U - chemistry (AND I REVISED!!). Mocks arent everything so dw
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 66
In Wales, AS grades still count for the overall A-Level but only 40%

For AS I had AAB (biol economics chemistry) so I didnt have to ask my teachers to 'boost' my grades so A2 predicitons are AAA by logic. The only people Ive seen asking for higher grades are the ones who were supposed to do well (ie. A* GCSE keds) but got Bs Cs and Ds instead

For my AS mocks I had: C - economics, E - biol, U - chemistry (AND I REVISED!!). Mocks arent everything so dw

I also have AAB and they want to predict me A*AB even though Im so close to the A boundary. so annoying.
I also have AAB and they want to predict me A*AB even though Im so close to the A boundary. so annoying.

That sucks. It doesnt really matter though since AAA is equivalent to A*AB in some unis like Bath. What are u applying for and where? I think that you get higher offers too if you have higher predicated grades so it could be in ur advantage.But thats just my conspiracy theory lmaoooo
Reply 68
That sucks. It doesnt really matter though since AAA is equivalent to A*AB in some unis like Bath. What are u applying for and where? I think that you get higher offers too if you have higher predicated grades so it could be in ur advantage.But thats just my conspiracy theory lmaoooo

Wait what? Bath considers A*ab THE SAME AS AAA? I want to apply there!
Wait what? Bath considers A*ab THE SAME AS AAA? I want to apply there!

Thats the case for Biochemistry. Deffos worth having a look at Bath anyway :biggrin:
Reply 70
Thats the case for Biochemistry. Deffos worth having a look at Bath anyway :biggrin:

How do you know??
How do you know??

Been to the open day + its on website
Reply 72
Been to the open day + its on website

Can you show me please?
Yep, I'm struggling with getting my A prediction in biology;whereas my cousin has got it due to an easier mock.

It's not your cousin's fault you flopped bio. You doing well in your exams is independent of whether or not he sat real AS exams or mocks!
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Very, very unfair in my school. The reforms have meant that if we take four A Levels, then we can't drop anything at the end of Year 12, plus four A Levels are compulsory for FM students.

What this means is that I can't take AS German, even though I really, really, really want to. :sigh:

Why? I took 4 and just sat an AS in Latin which I dropped at the end of year 12, obtaining the AS qualification
Original post by 04MR17
So the style of question has changed, but you decide to revise all of the old style question...
As well as questions from a textbook...

The new spec papers were a nightmare, even the specimen papers were poor preparation for the actual exam. You could know the specification inside out and still do reasonably bad.
Reply 76
Original post by teenhorrorstory
The new spec papers were a nightmare, even the specimen papers were poor preparation for the actual exam. You could know the specification inside out and still do reasonably bad.

YEP. I also didn't flop my bio AS exam :L
A level reforms are hell. I got AAA averaging 94% this would have meant I had 3 guaranteed A's next year (I'd need a low-to-mid C to get an A over both years), however only 1 of them actually counted meaning next year will be twice as hard as the year above had it, although at least one actually counted! some people have none I guess.
YEP. I also didn't flop my bio AS exam :L

Apologies
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Predictions are a load of piss.

A-level changes are not unfair.

What is unfair is the differences between the postgraduate loans for students from NI compared to loans for English students.

Definitely this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest