The Student Room Group

Advice on joining the army.

Does anyone have any advice on the army? Whether it be tips on general life or training.

Scroll to see replies

stay alive.
Yeh, don't join.
Reply 3
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
stay alive.

yeah you know might help
Original post by REforever
Does anyone have any advice on the army? Whether it be tips on general life or training.

Dont, go private better pay better treatment higher standards.
The Armed forces of the UK evidently has little to no respect for its manpower.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
well i'm still joining even though all of this is negative
Reply 7

Ignore the trolls who don't know what they're talking about. Probably the best advice.

Think about what your motivations for joining are. What are you looking to join as? Why the army? What options do you have? Etc
Reply 8
JUST GO FOR IT!
My brother joined it so I kinda know alot about it..
The life is really tough (All those schedules and training)
But the carrer ahead is superb (y)

Go nuts just have a back up you never know when the MoD will declare you a useless assest, leaving you with little support in getting a job in civvie street.
Pick a good regiment and do good on the BARB test.
Engineers, Armoured, Army Air Corps, pick a job that will give you a trade and skills to use on civvie street.

Original post by Drewski
Ignore the trolls who don't know what they're talking about. Probably the best advice.

Having a negative view does not make one a troll.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski

Think about what your motivations for joining are. What are you looking to join as? Why the army? What options do you have? Etc

I'm joining because it's what I've always wanted to do and the pride of being part of the services protecting your country and making a difference.
Reply 11
Original post by DeathGuardElite

Pick a good regiment and do good on the BARB test.
Engineers, Armoured, Army Air Corps, pick a job that will give you a trade and skills to use on civvie street.

I'm going to join the engineers so i get a trade behind me
I'm going to join the engineers so i get a trade behind me

Good idea, if you also want extra action you could go Parachute engineer, or another specialization.
I would advise if you're qualified enough to go in at Officer level.
Reply 13
Good idea, if you also want extra action you could go Parachute engineer, or another specialization.
I would advise if you're qualified enough to go in at Officer level.

i'm 17
i'm 17

Do you have any A levels?
Forgot to ask have you talked to your parents about it?
I'm joining because it's what I've always wanted to do and the pride of being part of the services protecting your country and making a difference.

I used to be like that, why have you always wanted to do it? Family? also were you an Army Cadet?
(edited 7 years ago)
Having a negative view does not make one a troll.

No, but unhelpful or irrelevant drivel does (not saying you were providing that).
But equally, saying "go private" is pretty vague and pointless. Private what? Join as a private? Private security? How could someone stand a realistic chance of joining private security - and earn the big money - without having experience of being in the army first?

The armed forces has pretty high respect for everyone who joins. The pay is good and 99% of the quals you earn can be used outside. The MoD and gov are different and yes, sometimes the funding is lacking, but that's a separate issue and one less likely to affect someone these days with reduced force sizes.

And frankly, if OP wants forces and better treatment then he could join the RAF instead...
Original post by Drewski
No, but unhelpful or irrelevant drivel does (not saying you were providing that).
But equally, saying "go private" is pretty vague and pointless. Private what? Join as a private? Private security? How could someone stand a realistic chance of joining private security - and earn the big money - without having experience of being in the army first?

The armed forces has pretty high respect for everyone who joins. The pay is good and 99% of the quals you earn can be used outside. The MoD and gov are different and yes, sometimes the funding is lacking, but that's a separate issue and one less likely to affect someone these days with reduced force sizes.

And frankly, if OP wants forces and better treatment then he could join the RAF instead...

Well he can go close protection and eventually get to the Private Security contractor jobs, but in all honesty he has to put the research in like i did i can point him in a direction but i wont hold his hand.

Pay is good? for a private in the infantry? you're joking right? i could get better pay in the foreign legion hell my father earns more money.
The MoD royally screwed up and ruined any respect i had for them if it wasn't for the massive cock ups in the government remember the MoD is part of the state, maybe i'd have joined the Army but i decided against it after spending 2 years of my life researching about it and getting the correct fitness level.
Reply 17
Do you have any A levels?
Forgot to ask have you talked to your parents about it?

I used to be like that, why have you always wanted to do it? Family? also were you an Army Cadet?

no i don't have any A-levels, my parents are fully supportive and nope i was not an army cadet
no i don't have any A-levels, my parents are fully supportive and nope i was not an army cadet

Awesome is your fitness level at the right point?
As far as i can tell you have a good plan just hope we dont decide to cause WW3 and for the next four years to be nice.

If you want to commit to the military then go and join the French Foreign Legion, best of what's out there. They'll treat you better than the UK Armed Forces, give you special forces training and at the end of your first tour offer you a French passport and/or a new identity. By then you'll also be fluent in French, have engineering skills etc.

Quick Reply

Latest