The Student Room Group

Is it too late for me to do what I want?

Basically long story short, used to get A*'s in high school, got depression, schizophrenia and ended up doing bad in subjects I liked (B's/A's in Science) but the worse was I had a C in Maths, 2 marks off a B when I was predicted an A.

Originally I wanted to do Physics, Maths, Computing and Chemistry.
I'm now doing Computing, Electronics, Psychology and I'm doing self-taught Maths while revising for my resit which is in a month. (My schizophrenia isn't as bad so I shouldn't do to bad anymore.)

What I'm trying to say however is, is it too late for me to go and do my subjects as they require a B in Maths? I was planning on resitting the Maths and doing the AS-Level Exam. If I do good in GCSE B - A* I'll probably do Physics, Maths and Further Maths next year but would it look stupid for me to stay on in college until I'm 19?
Original post by dpsaaa
Basically long story short, used to get A*'s in high school, got depression, schizophrenia and ended up doing bad in subjects I liked (B's/A's in Science) but the worse was I had a C in Maths, 2 marks off a B when I was predicted an A.

Originally I wanted to do Physics, Maths, Computing and Chemistry.
I'm now doing Computing, Electronics, Psychology and I'm doing self-taught Maths while revising for my resit which is in a month. (My schizophrenia isn't as bad so I shouldn't do to bad anymore.)

What I'm trying to say however is, is it too late for me to go and do my subjects as they require a B in Maths? I was planning on resitting the Maths and doing the AS-Level Exam. If I do good in GCSE B - A* I'll probably do Physics, Maths and Further Maths next year but would it look stupid for me to stay on in college until I'm 19?

If I was in your position, I would follow my passion, which is for you physics maths and further maths. I currently study those subjects and like you, I love them and enjoy them and I wouldn't want to do others. If you really want to do the physics and maths, don't let anything stop you! Your age is just a number and ultimately it doesn't matter what age you are as long as you are on the right path. Being slightly older than other people at college is a small price to pay for happiness in the future when you enjoy your job and wake up excited to go and do it. People may winder why you are older than them but you know why and whether you want to share or not, nobody is going to care that much if they are focussed on their own studies. It is never too late to do anything and when you go on to uni, it will become clearer to you that this is true since there is such an age variety on most courses. I am sorry that you went through this and hope that eventually, things will get a lot better for you. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest