The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Dionysus
This discussion about Media Studies misses the point. It may or may not be easy, I don't know. I do know that it's certainly easier than Maths/Physics/History/English etc but that's fairly obvious. The truth is that nobody takes it seriously, either way. As for doubting your A Levels, I wouldn't worry too much. Except for Media Studies, they're all pretty solid subjects. Business is seen as a fairly 'soft' subject, but that's ok. Law is fine for any Uni course except Law, where it's only really any good as a third subject, with two proper ones. But your combination gives you a few options. If you want to do Business Management at Uni, you won't have any trouble with those.

Lots of people take it seriously. Anyone apart from the narrow-minded. The OP will do fine with A-Level Media, as well as the other A-Levels.
Reply 21
cpj1987
Lots of people take it seriously. Anyone apart from the narrow-minded. The OP will do fine with A-Level Media, as well as the other A-Levels.

Like who?!?! I'd love to say that Media studies is an automatic ticket to a place at Oxford, but it just isn't true. Nobody except lesser Unis will like it, and even then only as a third subject.

Quote from Wikipedia:
In 2000, England's Chief Schools Inspector, Chris Woodhead suggested that media studies is a "one way ticket to the dole queue." There is, he says, a "profound scepticism as to whether these courses teach students the skills and understanding they want"

I'm not saying that's necessarily a fair assessment of the subject, but it is the assessment made by the vast majority of admissions tutors.
Reply 22
Dionysus
Like who?!?! I'd love to say that Media studies is an automatic ticket to a place at Oxford, but it just isn't true. Nobody except lesser Unis will like it, and even then only as a third subject.

Quote from Wikipedia:
In 2000, England's Chief Schools Inspector, Chris Woodhead suggested that media studies is a "one way ticket to the dole queue." There is, he says, a "profound scepticism as to whether these courses teach students the skills and understanding they want"

I'm not saying that's necessarily a fair assessment of the subject, but it is the assessment made by the vast majority of admissions tutors.

No subject is a one-way ticket to a place at Oxford, but then, I wasn't mentioning Oxford at all, I just said it's a respected subject, does it really matter WHERE?
And yes, a lot of people are academic snobs, but not everyone; so as I said before, LOTS of people value Media Studies.
Reply 23
strawberry_wise
There is as big a difference between GCSE Media Studies and A-level Media Studies as there is between GCSE Maths and A-level Maths.

I know. I simply cannot imagine what it is to study either at A-level and I'm basing my opinion, obviously, on the basis of having done the two at GCSE level. I know that my opinion is hardly valid in terms of expressing a 'true' view of which is harder but, like I say, it is my opinion that maths is harder than MS. My opinion may or may not reflect what is 'true'. Either way, I shall have to stop now before people start trouting me :wink:
Reply 24
thesard
I know. I simply cannot imagine what it is to study either at A-level and I'm basing my opinion, obviously, on the basis of having done the two at GCSE level. I know that my opinion is hardly valid in terms of expressing a 'true' view of which is harder but, like I say, it is my opinion that maths is harder than MS. My opinion may or may not reflect what is 'true'. Either way, I shall have to stop now before people start trouting me :wink:

Well explained. +rep coming your way cuz it's refreshing to see someone who holds an opinion that one subject's easier than another, but understands that they can't judge without the relevant experience. :smile: I love fair debates where people explain their view instead of automatically insulting others.
Reply 25
cpj1987
No subject is a one-way ticket to a place at Oxford, but then, I wasn't mentioning Oxford at all, I just said it's a respected subject, does it really matter WHERE?
And yes, a lot of people are academic snobs, but not everyone; so as I said before, LOTS of people value Media Studies.

Oxford was an example. Let's ignore Oxford, and look at middling Unis. None of those are going to consider it a respected subject either! Some might take it as a third subject, but if I said it was ever going to be 'respected', I'd be lying. It is only likely to be taken really seriously by one or two rock-bottom ex-polys. But it really isn't a problem since his other three subjects are fine for the course he wants to do.
Drop Media for a safe bet.
Reply 27
cpj1987
Well explained. +rep coming your way cuz it's refreshing to see someone who holds an opinion that one subject's easier than another, but understands that they can't judge without the relevant experience. :smile: I love fair debates where people explain their view instead of automatically insulting others.

Ah fanx! :p:
Reply 28
Maybe you should learn to spell before taking those big scary A-levels :hugs:.
Reply 29
lea164
Thats very true. I hate it when people (who usually have never studied media studies) say its an easy a-level. Apparently its harder to get an A in media than it is to get an A in maths.

My housemate is studying media at university and it seems very wishy washy, for example she will complete a piece of work the night before, submit it and still get an A or B with very little effort and although I don't think she's stupid I hardly think she's a child genius. Where as I work on an assignment for atleast a month and put my heart and soul into it and get lower pass grades with more trivial criticisms.
I've also heard from alot of media grad students that to get a job with a media degree is very difficult.
Reply 30
Only people who enjoy and usually have skill within mathematics choose it at a level.

EVERYONE chooses media. Seriously, so many people do media studies it's untrue.

It follows that maths students will be of a higher calibre (in regards to their subject) and thus will be more likely to gain an A, whilst media takes a more general intake and sloppy students, so the overall % gaining an A will be lower.

Of course, I don't expect media students to 'get it' (dude!).

j/k!11!:wink:
Reply 31
happy cola
Only people who enjoy and usually have skill within mathematics choose it at a level.

EVERYONE chooses media. Seriously, so many people do media studies it's untrue.

It follows that maths students will be of a higher calibre (in regards to their subject) and thus will be more likely to gain an A, whilst media takes a more general intake and sloppy students, so the overall % gaining an A wil be lower.

Of course, I don't expect media students to 'get it' (dude!).

j/k!11!:wink:

Yeah, but the overall calibre of students doesn't reflect the degree, just that a lot of people go into it expecting it to be easy.
Reply 32
The One and Only Lady Jennington
My housemate is studying media at university and it seems very wishy washy, for example she will complete a piece of work the night before, submit it and still get an A or B with very little effort and although I don't think she's stupid I hardly think she's a child genius. Where as I work on an assignment for atleast a month and put my heart and soul into it and get lower pass grades with more trivial criticisms.
I've also heard from alot of media grad students that to get a job with a media degree is very difficult.

Yep, getting a job within the media IS very difficult, but that's not a reflection of the degree difficulty. :smile:
Reply 33
cpj1987
Yeah, but the overall calibre of students doesn't reflect the degree, just that a lot of people go into it expecting it to be easy.

Sorry - I was referring to the "media is harder to get an A in than maths" *******s, I should've quoted!
Reply 34
happy cola
Sorry - I was referring to the "media is harder to get an A in than maths" *******s, I should've quoted!

Haha no sorry, you did make that clear. I take that point back then, I was blending it with another point and confused myself there! :rolleyes:
Reply 35
cpj1987
Yep, getting a job within the media IS very difficult, but that's not a reflection of the degree difficulty. :smile:

But my friend clearly works ALOT less than I have to or indeed many other people I know on various courses and yet still gets high grades. How is this possible when I know she is not a future einstein if the degree is not perhaps easier?
Reply 36
But my friend clearly works ALOT less than I have to or indeed many other people I know on various courses and yet still gets high grades. How is this possible when I know she is not a future einstein if the degree is not perhaps easier?

Ah, well I can't explain that unless it's a natural talent in that subject. Maybe it's that the course at your university isn't as good, but no reason to generalise to all Media courses.
I do see your point though! :smile:
Reply 37
lol I know it's not a natural talent either, I can't think of a polite way of saying that my friend has a bit of her brain that is made out of fluff and often has her head in the clouds
Reply 38
lol I know it's not a natural talent either, I can't think of a polite way of saying that my friend has a bit of her brain that is made out of fluff and often has her head in the clouds

Haha aww, harsh!
:p:
But yeah, I can see your point there - that's one course though, so generalising isn't neccessary. :smile:
Reply 39
strawberry wise
There is as big a difference between GCSE Media Studies and A-level Media Studies as there is between GCSE Maths and A-level Maths.

You have got to be kidding me....Media studies is easiest subject in A-levels if you look at stats atm with something else cant remember.

Maths has bigger difference than that.
Dont make me laugh!

Latest

Trending

Trending