The Student Room Group

postgraduate loan hell!! Advice needed!!

I am seriously gutted!! I have wanted to do Physiotherapy for such a long time. I tried to apply for the MSc course this year, and there is no longer a bursary. I am aware there is a post graduate loan, but you can only get £10,000. My course is £10,950 per year! Where on earth am I meant to get the other £12,000 from? There must be a way around this!! I don't have that kind of money. I come from a working class background and would never be able to access that amount of money!!

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks
Original post by LeanneLdn
I am seriously gutted!! I have wanted to do Physiotherapy for such a long time. I tried to apply for the MSc course this year, and there is no longer a bursary. I am aware there is a post graduate loan, but you can only get £10,000. My course is £10,950 per year! Where on earth am I meant to get the other £12,000 from? There must be a way around this!! I don't have that kind of money. I come from a working class background and would never be able to access that amount of money!!

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks

Speak to the university offering the course and check that you have the fees correct - they might have funding or sponsorship available to cover some of the fees from the local NHS education/trusts or they might have their own bursary schemes in place to cover this.

Alternatively look into undergrad physio courses - the removal of the bursary has come with guarantees that people taking a second degree will get a tuition loan and maintenance loan for undergrad - it's an additional year if you can't negotiate accelerated entry/study based on your previous experience/qualifications, but that extra year is funded.
Reply 2
I have exactly the same problem with Dietetics. Beyond gutted! £10,800 per year for a two year course!

Some courses are still NHS funded for sept 2017 entry as a way of them weaning the new system in.

Unfortunately if you're not eligible for extra funding support from the university you'll have to finance the other part yourself... I'm going to have to take a year out and work full time to fund it if I don't get onto the last of the NHS funded courses >.<

I'm already in 45K worth of debt, what's another 21K! *laughs holding back the tears*
Your working-class background is irrelevant. You obtain the remaining £12,000 like most other students: winning a scholarship and/or taking a year or two out of academia to save up the funds and/or studying part-time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending