The Student Room Group

Feeling depressed after someone noticed my wig

I have to wear a wig as I lost my hair in January due to a health condition (not cancer)
Obviously this was a traumatic odeal, being a 19 year old girl in her first year at university and for a good month I felt very down indeed. But good friends got me through it and by April I even had a lovely boyfriend.

It sounds silly but by April I kind of forgot I wore a wig. I didn't really think about it and I just carried on my life as normal.

I felt so happy that I'd overcome something I thought I'd never face up to

All was well, until a few nights ago. I went to a fancy dress bar crawl at uni dressed as a bee and out of the blue someone said ' I like your wig!'. I broke down and started crying on the spot. No one had ever picked me up on it like that before! My friends then explained it wasn't actually part of the costume and the guy said he thought i had a black wig on to go with the bumble bee costume. I'm so upset over this ive come home from uni and I don't know when I'll be well enough to,come back

I like my wig and don't want to change it, I've never had any problems before but I feel like such a freak now.
Do what ever you want, don't let society see you differently. You're human like us! People shouldn't see you differently, however it may be a shock to them. Express your inner self
why? they gave you a compliment. they didn't know that you have no hair, just explain to them that it was not part of the costume.
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
why? they gave you a compliment. they didn't know that you have no hair, just explain to them that it was not part of the costume.

Well not really :s I don't want everyone knowing I wear a wig
Don't be sad. It's not a bad thing that they said. I know it must be traumatising to lose your hair but look how well you've dealt with it so far!!!! They didn't say a horrible thing, please don't be sad :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by lachachacha
I have to wear a wig as I lost my hair in January due to a health condition (not cancer)
Obviously this was a traumatic odeal, being a 19 year old girl in her first year at university and for a good month I felt very down indeed. But good friends got me through it and by April I even had a lovely boyfriend.

It sounds silly but by April I kind of forgot I wore a wig. I didn't really think about it and I just carried on my life as normal.

I felt so happy that I'd overcome something I thought I'd never face up to

All was well, until a few nights ago. I went to a fancy dress bar crawl at uni dressed as a bee and out of the blue someone said ' I like your wig!'. I broke down and started crying on the spot. No one had ever picked me up on it like that before! My friends then explained it wasn't actually part of the costume and the guy said he thought i had a black wig on to go with the bumble bee costume. I'm so upset over this ive come home from uni and I don't know when I'll be well enough to,come back

I like my wig and don't want to change it, I've never had any problems before but I feel like such a freak now.

It certainly puts my issues with when the hairdresser cuts my hair too short and then people comment about it into perspective. :colondollar:
buy a better quality wig that doesn't look like a wig
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Don't be sad. It's not a bad thing that they said. I know it must be traumatising to lose your hair but look how well you've dealt with it so far!!!! They didn't say a horrible thing, please don't be sad :frown:

But they made me feel different by calling me out on my wig :s I just want to look like everyone else
But they made me feel different by calling me out on my wig :s I just want to look like everyone else

Is your hair condition permanent?
Original post by sleepysnooze
buy a better quality wig that doesn't look like a wig

That's easier said than done and usually I feel comfortable in this wig as no one has called me out on it before, not even boyfriends
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Is your hair condition permanent?

Probably
Probably

It was probably because you had a costume on, not because you wear a wig daily.
It was probably because they just assumed it was a wig due to you wearing a costume. If nobody's mentioned it otherwise then they probably haven't noticed.
Original post by WoodyMKC
It was probably because they just assumed it was a wig due to you wearing a costume. If nobody's mentioned it otherwise then they probably haven't noticed.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending