The Student Room Group

I work for the ambulance service, ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlueLightDriver
Iff it's for health reasons then possibly. I know of one paramedic that couldn't drive. But you'd have to be OK with heavy lifting, late finishes, long shifts, early morning/late night, not getting your break on time, walking...
Loads of things which make the job inaccessible for many disabilities.

You'd also need to consider whether you can actually get to work. You'll be working at different ambulance stations at least at first, and they're long shifts when potentially public transport isn't running.

You'd need to be a paramedic, not any of the lower clinical grades. You'd need to go the University route and not the Trust route. It would be best to speak to the uni before applying.

I can do everything else just no driving. I need to speak to DVLA/GP as it may have changed now as health is much better. I’m not epileptic but have suffered from seizures but medication keeps them controlled 99.9% of times. I’d be fine with transport just need to know if it’s an option to become a paramedic still as I thought NHS overall role was to be inclusive and not discriminative because of health conditions etc?
Original post by Layla267
I can do everything else just no driving. I need to speak to DVLA/GP as it may have changed now as health is much better. I’m not epileptic but have suffered from seizures but medication keeps them controlled 99.9% of times. I’d be fine with transport just need to know if it’s an option to become a paramedic still as I thought NHS overall role was to be inclusive and not discriminative because of health conditions etc?

I've just been made to leave because of a health condition. The problem is that the job is unpredictable so you never know what you're going to find, and therefore they don't like people who can't do all of the job.
If you want to become an ambulance technician, you need to do a classroom based course of around 22 weeks, a further 5 weeks supernumary placement, and then one year under supervision. So you would not be able to gain the qualification if you could only commit one year to it. The qualification probably won't matter in the long run if you complete the medicine degree and go on to become a doctor, but it might look a bit odd to employers if you change your mind and take a different path.

You'll also need your C1 driving licence, which means you have to have your car (B) licence and then take further tests to add the higher categories. I've explained a bit about the steps [url=
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4634260&p=77158934&page=6&highlight=#post77158934
]here
. It's quite expensive - you're looking at £50+ for the medical, theory test is £37 (£26 and £11 for the two parts), and then about £800 for the lessons with practical test included. This also takes quite a long time, and you can't start the job (not even the classroom bit) until you have your full licence.

There can be inflexibility about shifts. You can apply for holiday but you might not get the dates you want, and although it's possible to arrange a shift swap you might not be able to find someone who wants to. So if you're given a set date for an interview at short notice it might not be possible to attend.

But it is a great experience, and it will be something different that not many people will do. You'll get a lot of exposure in talking to patients, relatives and other HCPs. During your degree you may be able to stay on and do bank shifts which would be a much more interesting part time job than say retail. I would advise looking on the NHS Jobs website (all trusts will advertise there) as soon as possible, as there is a long time from application to start date.

Another job to consider might be as a 999 call handler, a 111 advisor, or a Non-emergency ambulance crew. These would all have shorter training, and the first 2 wouldn't need a C1 licence. But you'd still get experience talking to patients and relatives.

Hi could you give advice on the call handler job for London ambulance 111 - I have an interview and would like to know what it will be like , also would i be able to start at a later date if offered the job role?
Do you have a question you've always wanted to ask someone who works on a frontline emergency ambulance? Well, now's your chance! Ask anything about treating patients, driving on blue lights, working 12 hour shifts - i'll even tell you what colour my socks are! (black, unfortunately)

Is it scary?
Original post by Robin-a
Hi could you give advice on the call handler job for London ambulance 111 - I have an interview and would like to know what it will be like , also would i be able to start at a later date if offered the job role?

As an advisor for 111 you'll be following a script - pretty much like a flowchart. You don't make the clinical decisions, the software does that based on the answers you input. But you really need to use good communication skills to get the correct answers from the patient and ensure that they're willing to answer the questions. It will be varied - you'll get some people who have called 111 instead of an ambulance, some people who want a GP appointment or a prescription, and some that are tricky to work out. I don't know how the rotas are worked out but you will be working shifts which can include bank holidays and Christmas.

For these types of roles you need a lot of classroom training before they let you answer the phone, so they will start a number of you together. You might get some flexibility around start dates if there is another cohort starting soon afterwards but you'll have to wait for something else to be available.

Original post by Clark11
Is it scary?

It can be. You get some information about the situation but it isn't always accurate - and you don't get everything that is discussed on the phone, so sometimes you don't get all the information you'd like to know. Usually if someone has expressed over the phone that there's a weapon or possibility of violence the police will be sent, so they can actually be safer. I once went to a call that was given as someone choking but the patient turned out to have several very large knives hidden around the room so that was terrifying.
Hi, I’m looking at applying for the EMT apprenticeship course I’ve seen what the basic pay is I was just wondering if you could give me a rough estimate of how much the unsociable hours pay amounts to each month? I appreciate it varies from station to station; shift pattern to shift pattern but I was just after a rough idea/ amount? Thanks
Hi, I’m looking at applying for the EMT apprenticeship course, I’m aware of how much the basic pay is but was just wondering if you could give me a rough idea of how much the anti social hours shift allowance comes to each month? I appreciate it will vary depending on which station you are based at and the shift pattern but was just after a rough idea how much it comes to each month? Thanks
Original post by Steve1230_1
Hi, I’m looking at applying for the EMT apprenticeship course, I’m aware of how much the basic pay is but was just wondering if you could give me a rough idea of how much the anti social hours shift allowance comes to each month? I appreciate it will vary depending on which station you are based at and the shift pattern but was just after a rough idea how much it comes to each month? Thanks

There are so many different rotas that it's impossible to give any useful information. As an apprentice, there will be long periods of time where you're doing classroom based training and won't be eligible for unsociable hours anyway - and this could genuinely mean that they spread things out so that for the whole of the apprenticeship you won't be eligible at all. It's more likely that some months you'll be eligible for something and other months you won't, but I'd expect your first 3 months (at least) to be fully classroom based.

It used to be that everyone got 25% of their base pay so you could try that as a very rough guide. It shouldn't be more than that.
I called the ambulance services for a friend 2 days ago and am worried because I haved recieved any info in him.
I am driver for three year i need job
Do you have a question you've always wanted to ask someone who works on a frontline emergency ambulance? Well, now's your chance! Ask anything about treating patients, driving on blue lights, working 12 hour shifts - i'll even tell you what colour my socks are! (black, unfortunately)

I have epilepsy would I be able to be a paramedic (it’s my dream)
& do you have to be able to drive
Original post by Addyson.W
I have epilepsy would I be able to be a paramedic (it’s my dream)
& do you have to be able to drive

Generally, you do have to be able to drive and have a C1 licence (which is even more strict in terms of seizures than the standard car licence).

However, I do know of one paramedic who worked for the LAS and didn't have a C1 licence due to epilepsy. So I'm not sure if they will make allowances for health/disability reasons. But the person I know was an Australian paramedic who was working and driving in Australia as their epilepsy rules are different to ours. She was recruited on the LAS oversees scheme and didn't find out until she came over here and signed up to work for them that she wasn't allowed a licence. So I don't know if hers was a special case because of the circumstances.
If you are allowed, you would only be able to become a paramedic and not any of the lower clinical grades (eg technician). This is because if there's a really poorly paramedic the most senior clinician needs to be in the back with the patient, and the lower grade therefore needs to be able to drive. You'd need to go through university and do the degree route rather than going through any of the Trust routes like apprenticeship.

What is the hardest part of the job?
Original post by minecraftlover
What is the hardest part of the job?

In what way? Physically hardest is carrying patients down stairs. If you mean emotionally, that's different for everyone. I also really hate feet.
In what way? Physically hardest is carrying patients down stairs. If you mean emotionally, that's different for everyone. I also really hate feet.

Emotionally?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending