The Student Room Group

I work for the ambulance service, ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Where are you located?
what is the difference between you(your job role) and a paramedic
Do you get emotionally involved with your patients? Or do you detach yourself from them so you can carry out your job efficiently?

Have you ever heard back from a patient that you'd treated/attended? Did anyone ever get in contact again?

I think what you do is brilliant. Thank you! It seems awful that paramedics/emergency technicians get paid so little, and treated so poorly at times, yet they do so much for us...
I am just wondering what the chances are of completing a post grad in critical care are whilst working relief shifts as part of LAS work roster? Would you recommend doing a post grad immediately or waiting a year or so?
Original post by thenewguy1001
I am just wondering what the chances are of completing a post grad in critical care are whilst working relief shifts as part of LAS work roster? Would you recommend doing a post grad immediately or waiting a year or so?

I have no idea why you think I might know this.

Original post by DaisyDragon
Do you get emotionally involved with your patients? Or do you detach yourself from them so you can carry out your job efficiently?

Have you ever heard back from a patient that you'd treated/attended? Did anyone ever get in contact again?

I think what you do is brilliant. Thank you! It seems awful that paramedics/emergency technicians get paid so little, and treated so poorly at times, yet they do so much for us...

Because you don't find out what happens and you're only with each patient a short period of time, I find I don't really get attached. And the job turnaround is fairly quick, so as soon as you're finished with one person you're on to the next. Add in the fact that it's generally 12 hour shifts, and we work nights etc, and it can just turn into a blur. Sometimes, I have days where I genuinely can't remember anything about the patients I saw that day.

But it's not really a process of consciously deciding to detach or not get involved.

I did hear back from one patient who said thank you because they'd gone on to make a full recovery. We also do get some regular callers, and so occasionally we do see the same patient a few times, or sometimes we might see them at hospital when we're with the next patient. There can be long queues at hospital, so it's possible you'll see a patient from earlier that day (you might walk past them walking to the toilet or something).

Original post by Blackstarr
what is the difference between you(your job role) and a paramedic

Paramedics now need a degree (although there are still some paramedics who qualified when you didn't need this) and officially my job only requires GCSEs. The selection process is more around other qualities, rather than being strictly focussed on academic requirements.
Tecnicians do a 20 week classroom based course, a 4 week supernumary placement, and then a supervised qualifying year. Paramedics do a 3 year degree, which is a mix of classroom training and operational placements.
Paramedics can place cannulas.
Paramedics have a wider range of drugs they can use. They have things like morphone for pain relief, and diazepam for fitting. Techicians have some drugs such as GTN and atrovent.
Paramedics get paid more.
In some trusts, paramedics can use different airway adjuncts (for when patients aren't breathing, eg cardiac arrest). The different ambulance services across the UK have different rules on this, though, so it's not a set rule. Some trusts allow intubation, and this is always a paramedic only requirement.
Paramedics can use something called an EZIO, which I'm not going to explain because it sounds really gruesome.
Paramedics are registered with the HCPC, which means if they do something inappropriate they can get struck off the register and can't work as a paramedic in the UK again. There's no register for technicians.

There isn't actually a huge difference. The Daily Mail ran a story recently that was really inaccurate. They said that technicians don't do ECGs, but we both perform them and interpret them. We can make diagnoses. Patients generally can't tell the difference, because for most jobs we go to there isn't a difference.
Original post by BlueLightDriver

I thought the question would come under the 'ask me anything' topic you have here. More to do with the time management but thanks anyways.

Because you don't find out what happens and you're only with each patient a short period of time, I find I don't really get attached. And the job turnaround is fairly quick, so as soon as you're finished with one person you're on to the next. Add in the fact that it's generally 12 hour shifts, and we work nights etc, and it can just turn into a blur. Sometimes, I have days where I genuinely can't remember anything about the patients I saw that day.

But it's not really a process of consciously deciding to detach or not get involved.

I did hear back from one patient who said thank you because they'd gone on to make a full recovery. We also do get some regular callers, and so occasionally we do see the same patient a few times, or sometimes we might see them at hospital when we're with the next patient. There can be long queues at hospital, so it's possible you'll see a patient from earlier that day (you might walk past them walking to the toilet or something).

Paramedics now need a degree (although there are still some paramedics who qualified when you didn't need this) and officially my job only requires GCSEs. The selection process is more around other qualities, rather than being strictly focussed on academic requirements.
Tecnicians do a 20 week classroom based course, a 4 week supernumary placement, and then a supervised qualifying year. Paramedics do a 3 year degree, which is a mix of classroom training and operational placements.
Paramedics can place cannulas.
Paramedics have a wider range of drugs they can use. They have things like morphone for pain relief, and diazepam for fitting. Techicians have some drugs such as GTN and atrovent.
Paramedics get paid more.
In some trusts, paramedics can use different airway adjuncts (for when patients aren't breathing, eg cardiac arrest). The different ambulance services across the UK have different rules on this, though, so it's not a set rule. Some trusts allow intubation, and this is always a paramedic only requirement.
Paramedics can use something called an EZIO, which I'm not going to explain because it sounds really gruesome.
Paramedics are registered with the HCPC, which means if they do something inappropriate they can get struck off the register and can't work as a paramedic in the UK again. There's no register for technicians.

There isn't actually a huge difference. The Daily Mail ran a story recently that was really inaccurate. They said that technicians don't do ECGs, but we both perform them and interpret them. We can make diagnoses. Patients generally can't tell the difference, because for most jobs we go to there isn't a difference.

A wealth of information here, thnaks for replying :smile:
what does it mean when an ambulance pulls up with no lights. there was no light but pulled up at someones house
Original post by angel shaw
what does it mean when an ambulance pulls up with no lights. there was no light but pulled up at someones house

Non emergency maybe?
Original post by angel shaw

The main reason is because they're not needed on. If you live up a quiet side road, or there's not much traffic, we might turn the lights off early. The earlier part of the journey (along the main roads with more traffic) would have been done with lights. This is more commonly done if it's dark.

Lights can also be turned off early if it sounds like the situation is a bit panicky. An ambulance arriving with lights on can make people panic more. So if it sounds like there's a panicking relative there, we might turn the lights off to try to calm things down.

It might have been a non-emergency call. This is more common in people who are elderly or disabled, who can't get themselves to hospital without assistance. These calls can be things like someone having routine blood tests at the GP, and the results coming back showing that they need treatment. Something like a low potassium level needs treatment, but doesn't really need lights and sirens.

There are also other unpreditcable reasons. I've done it where we've been sent to a job that's very close, and so didn't really need to put the lights on to drive 0.2 miles. Or maybe the crew had a query about the job (eg are the police on scene, is the large dog restrained, is the patient violent) and so they stopped further up the road initially, then didn't turn the lights on for the last bit.
Hey, I’m currently applying to be a Emergency Ambulance Crew member, what’s the difference between that and a technician? I know it mentioned that you don’t have to have a medical background but do you think it helps? I only have customer service and Recruitment (both very interpersonal and fast paced) but I’m worried this won’t be enough.

I’m struggling with some of the application questions and how to make myself come across as keen an interested without a medical background.

Last question, what was the worst and best part of the 20-24 weeks training? You mentioned it was difficult and at times wanted to quit - how did you stay motivated? And where about did you get based? Lots of questions so thanks in advance, but also thanks for creating this thread. It’s been tonnes of help so far and if anything has made me want to apply even more!
Original post by LaurenJennifer
Hey, I’m currently applying to be a Emergency Ambulance Crew member, what’s the difference between that and a technician? I know it mentioned that you don’t have to have a medical background but do you think it helps? I only have customer service and Recruitment (both very interpersonal and fast paced) but I’m worried this won’t be enough.

I’m struggling with some of the application questions and how to make myself come across as keen an interested without a medical background.

Last question, what was the worst and best part of the 20-24 weeks training? You mentioned it was difficult and at times wanted to quit - how did you stay motivated? And where about did you get based? Lots of questions so thanks in advance, but also thanks for creating this thread. It’s been tonnes of help so far and if anything has made me want to apply even more!

Technician tends to be the older name for it, so the only difference is that usually technicians have more experience. The title "paramedic" is a registered profession, which means that you have to be able to meet certain criteria to use that job title. Technicians etc aren't registered, so ambulance services can use any job title they like. There are various other names too, like ambulance care assistance or associate ambulance practictioner.

The interpersonal skills are the most important, as they're the ones that can't be taught. Anyone can learn that a normal heart rate is between 60 and 100 beats per minute, and that faster is called tachycardia and slower is called bradycardia. The useful bit is then being able to take that knowledge and apply it to Doris - you can't say "rightio Doris, you're experiencing sinus tachycardia" because she won't have a clue. People who have called an ambulance are (generally) scared, confused, concerned etc and you need to be able to help with that. Sometimes you need to calm down the relatives before you can figure out what the hell is going on.
Once, I discussed The Apprentice with a patient who was having a heart attack because that was what he wanted to feel reassured. Once I sat with a pallative care patient and held his hand until his daughter arrived and he passed away peacefully. Patients don't always need medical assistance for successful treatment.

You need to figure out your why. Why do you want to do this job? That's a personal reason. Mine is a feeling that someone gave to me and I want to pass on. Your why is your motivation. If it's strong enough, that's your motivation.

The hardest part of the course is that it's so full on. You need to learn enough medical stuff to be able to deal with any medical situation - and you never know what that's going to be. On Christmas day, I had to tell someone that their husband of 70 years had died, and then told my next patient "congratulations, it's a boy". But you also need to know how to work the equipment, how to safely carry someone up and down stairs, how to drive on blue lights (which involves knowing the highway code word perfect) - you have to know everything and there's so much to learn. So it's not a bad course, but it gets overwhelming at times. I don't know what the best bit of the course was. Crawling under a train was pretty cool, but the rest was just a blur of learning and exams really.
I’m considering going into nursing any advice
Reply 53
Do you have a question you've always wanted to ask someone who works on a frontline emergency ambulance? Well, now's your chance! Ask anything about treating patients, driving on blue lights, working 12 hour shifts - i'll even tell you what colour my socks are! (black, unfortunately)

Are there ways into the service that don’t need a degree?
Do you smoker?
Original post by LRxS

Not my question but it depends solely on the profession in the sector you wish to endeavor. You do usually require a degree in paramedic science to become a paramedic (especially lately), however, as the OP has also stated, to be a technician, you do not.
Reply 56
Have you ever had to watch a patient die in front of you? If yes, how do you help cope with that feeling? I always believed that this would be the hardest job for anyone to have, so I have massive respect for public services, especially the ambulance.
Original post by LRxS

You need a degree to become a paramedic. But you can join the ambulance service as a technician (some services have different names for this) without a degree. Ambulance services then have their in internal pathways to train up to paramedic if you wish, but this can be very competitive.

There are some paramedics without degrees because the profession has only recently changed to offer degrees.

Original post by Little Popcorns
Do you smoker?

No, I never have.
Original post by farida0508
I’m considering going into nursing any advice

Try to get as much experience as possibble, so that you can see what the job is like. The role itself is very rewarding, but there are aspects that make it really demanding too. Most NHS roles require 12 hour shifts, and you might not get regular breaks if it's busy. You'll be working evenings and weekends, and you'll most likely get a shift pattern which means it can be difficult to plan things - you might not be able to do something every Tuesday, for example, as you'll be working some Tuesdays during the day and others during the night. This can mean it's difficult to have a social life, and I have no idea how people with small children manage it.

Don't get carried away and buy everything you see advertised. You'll find websites that sell things like pen holders and lanyards and revision posters - wait and see if you actually need it. You might have to use a specific service/uni issued lanyard, and you might not need your pens holding. A model skeleton might look cool, but you're probably not going to get much use out of it. And you really, really, really do not need a nursing tattoo.

Original post by Zaynnn
Have you ever had to watch a patient die in front of you? If yes, how do you help cope with that feeling? I always believed that this would be the hardest job for anyone to have, so I have massive respect for public services, especially the ambulance.

A lot of the time, we take patients to hospital. So they might die later from their injury/illness, but because we don't get much follow up we don't know this. As I've already explained, sometimes we can follow it up, and sometimes it's obvious someone isn't going to make it.

We do go to people who are already dead - this can either be an expected death (like a pallative care patient) or an unexpected death (whe someone has found a body). This is really just a paperwork exercise, as we verify the person is actually dead, and then pass it onto a doctor or the police. The hardest bit in these situations isn't really the fact that the person is dead, it's more seeing how the relatives react. Even if the death is expected it's still a shock for families, and it can be hard because there's no real way to make it better.

And with cardiac arrests, the patient is technically dead when we arrive as their heart has stopped. We're trying to resuscitate them. I still remember every one of my cardiac arrest patients who we couldn't save.

But I think I've only seen one patient who actually died in front of me, which was the pallative care patient I escribed earlier. I feel privileged that when he needed someone I got to be there.

Different people cope in different ways. For me, it's more about just carrying on. There's aways another call to go to and another patient to see.
Reply 59
Hi I want to know about the training, I heard it is an 18-24 week full on training and you can not have any days off. my question is what if you have a holiday booked but are about to start the training a month or 2 months prior, would you have to cancel your holiday?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending