The Student Room Group

School Report

Got my school report today. I am very underwhelmed by it.
I want to get A*A*A* and go to Cambridge so i have been working my ass off
For context im doing:
English Language
Sociology
History
GCSE results were: BBBBBACCCCCC

We get statistical target (based on GCSE)
Attitude to learning: - pretty self explanatory (G is good O is outstanding)
teacher predicated grade: - pretty self explanatory "This is the teacher predicted result we expect the student to achieve at the end of the course, based on all
of their work so far this term, and if the student continues at their current rate of progress."

Untitled.png

As you can see from above that was my report.
Now here what i need help with:

In all classes i fully interact with the class and answer questions. And i make sure to get my work checked so i can improve. Im doing 15hrs a week extra studying. i do all class work in good quality and finish anything unfishied at home.

In English Language we had a test i was only one in class with full marks. but understandably my essays were L2 and L3 (ranges from L1 - L5 but everyone in class is same level as me on essays) so that would pull my teacher predicated grade down. However i have been doing practice essays and extra work in my free time as well as extra homework to get to L5 ASAP.

In history im the one of the few in class who gets the work done well and in time, we haven't had any formal tests but i know all the answers and get leeched off most of my time.

In sociology we did exam practice i got 26/26 (only one) and im way ahead of the rest of the class, im one of the few who complete homework.

From this it really made me mad. Im targeted D,C and B when i have got full marks on any exams, im out performing the class and im doing extra work. I just dont understand how my targets can be so low. how am i supose to improve from a D to A* when im doing all that.

Im not sure how to resolve this, i dont want to go to a teacher and be all bratty that i dont like my report but i think this is a whole load of bs.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You'l need to talk to your teachers personally and plead your case. Just tell her you ambitions and that you understand the work required to get there but her predicted grades don't cut it. Good luck.
I'm gonna be honest no way with your GCSEs. None.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Failingstudent98
I'm gonna be honest no way with your GCSEs. None.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thats a rather bold assumption to make. And im going to disagree with you, did you even read what i wrote?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ThomasSean
thats a rather bold assumption to make. And im going to disagree with you

Cambridge are very GCSE heavy, considering A-levels are now reformed the only official grade they will have to go on is your AS grade if you drop one and your GCSE's. Cambridge can afford to turn away people that achieve 10A*'s they aren't going to look at people with grades like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cambridge are very GCSE heavy, considering A-levels are now reformed the only official grade they will have to go on is your AS grade if you drop one and your GCSE's. Cambridge can afford to turn away people that achieve 10A*'s they aren't going to look at people with grades like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Admissions tests.
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont want to start an argument as it will achieve nothing, but... from what i have seen, read and been told (by a Cambridge admission person) that "A levels can make up for a less that stellar GCSE performance"
Got my school report today. I am very underwhelmed by it.
I want to get A*A*A* and go to Cambridge so i have been working my ass off
For context im doing:
English Language
Sociology
History
GCSE results were: BBBBBACCCCCC

We get statistical target (based on GCSE)
Attitude to learning: - pretty self explanatory (G is good O is outstanding)
teacher predicated grade: - pretty self explanatory "This is the teacher predicted result we expect the student to achieve at the end of the course, based on all
of their work so far this term, and if the student continues at their current rate of progress."

Untitled.png

As you can see from above that was my report.
Now here what i need help with:

In all classes i fully interact with the class and answer questions. And i make sure to get my work checked so i can improve. Im doing 15hrs a week extra studying. i do all class work in good quality and finish anything unfishied at home.

In English Language we had a test i was only one in class with full marks. but understandably my essays were L2 and L3 (ranges from L1 - L5 but everyone in class is same level as me on essays) so that would pull my teacher predicated grade down. However i have been doing practice essays and extra work in my free time as well as extra homework to get to L5 ASAP.

In history im the one of the few in class who gets the work done well and in time, we haven't had any formal tests but i know all the answers and get leeched off most of my time.

In sociology we did exam practice i got 26/26 (only one) and im way ahead of the rest of the class, im one of the few who complete homework.

From this it really made me mad. Im targeted D,C and B when i have got full marks on any exams, im out performing the class and im doing extra work. I just dont understand how my targets can be so low. how am i supose to improve from a D to A* when im doing all that.

Im not sure how to resolve this, i dont want to go to a teacher and be all bratty that i dont like my report but i think this is a whole load of bs.

Interesting post and well explained.
I cna understand your disappointment and suggest you talk to the teachers. Its admirable you are doing extra work, but if you are only hitting L2 and L3, then you really need to eb at level 4 hitting level 5 very soon.

Are you in y12 or Y13? You need to do more than get homework done and in on time. What the rest of your class do is irrelevant unless they have been given higher marks than you.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Interesting post and well explained.
I cna understand your disappointment and suggest you talk to the teachers. Its admirable you are doing extra work, but if you are only hitting L2 and L3, then you really need to eb at level 4 hitting level 5 very soon.

Are you in y12 or Y13? You need to do more than get homework done and in on time. What the rest of your class do is irrelevant unless they have been given higher marks than you.
YR12 and i am certality doing more than getting homework done, im doing preliminary research, testing myself and writing essays (not homework ones) in my free time.
Cambridge is unlikely due to your GCSE grades as most their applicants have around 6A* minimum.

As for reports, schools do them in a way that is logical for themselves. They'll predict you low to begin with and increase predictions to seem as their teaching and system has improved your work ethic and ability.
Posted from TSR Mobile
YR12 and i am certality doing more than getting homework done, im doing preliminary research, testing myself and writing essays (not homework ones) in my free time.

They have the experience. Ask them what they are basing it on, but how do you know you are hitting A* levels?

The real thing is get your 4A* and then apply with results in hand, they are only predicteds anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Cambridge is unlikely due to your GCSE grades as most their applicants have around 6A* minimum.

As for reports, schools do them in a way that is logical for themselves. They'll predict you low to begin with and increase predictions to seem as their teaching and system has improved your work ethic and ability.
Posted from TSR Mobile
i agree my chances are obviously lower than an applicant with way more GCSE A and A* grades.

However im not pushover and as such i am compensating for poor GCSE with a good personal statement (doing loads of extra curriculum stuff) and by getting best grades i can.
Reply 12
They have the experience. Ask them what they are basing it on, but how do you know you are hitting A* levels?

The real thing is get your 4A* and then apply with results in hand, they are only predicteds anyway.

ill do that.
And for english and history i dont know as their could be many factors, howver even so considering the work ive been doing (and the praise i got for it) i would imagine i would get a better grade.

As for sociology, the only real thing we have to be judged on is out test and undisputed 26/26 is highest level it can be.

Its just insulting when you are doing well (or it seems that way) then get slapped with a D and C target
(edited 7 years ago)
ill do that.
And for english and history i dont know as their could be many factors, howver even so considering the work ive been doing (and the praise i got for it) i would imagine i would get a better grade.

As for sociology, the only real thing we have to be judged on is out test and undisputed 26/26 is highest level it can be.

You have to trust the fact they are experienced and have been teaching you for a year. Did you expect A and A*?
Reply 14
You have to trust the fact they are experienced and have been teaching you for a year. Did you expect A and A*?

teaching only for 6 weeks (just started 1st year of 6th form). Not been a year yet. (there is only limited things we were tested on, as such im surprised to see such low grades)

At i was expecting A or A* i dint know if they were going to put A* as predicted grade because of the 90% thing.
teaching only for 6 weeks (just started 1st year of 6th form). Not been a year yet. (there is only limited things we were tested on, as such im surprised to see such low grades)

At i was expecting A or A* i dint know if they were going to put A* as predicted grade because of the 90% thing.

Apologies. Not concerntrating. its only 6 weeks, which means your predicted grades arent till next year? Plenty of time to catch up.

Have a word with each teacher, tell tem of your ambition and ask what you need to do to improve.
Reply 16
Apologies. Not concerntrating. its only 6 weeks, which means your predicted grades arent till next year? Plenty of time to catch up.

Have a word with each teacher, tell tem of your ambition and ask what you need to do to improve.
Yes, our UCAS predictions are not till next year, but my issue is i feel that the work i have done, results i achieved and effort i put in have not been recognised despite my apparent achievements in tests.

And i feel that with the mind set of teachers been im going to get D, C and B isnt going to work out well when i need good predicted grades for my UCAS form. There is no way without direct proof (i was under the impression i gave that with my test scores ) a teacher will believe a C grade predicted student will get any A*
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, out UCAS predictions are not till next year, but my issue is i feel that the work i have done, results i achieved and effort i put in have not been recognised despite my apparent achievements in tests.

And i feel that with the mind set of teachers been im going to get D, C and B isnt going to work out well when i need good predicted grades for my UCAS form

Overthinking it and wrong attitude imo. Take it on the chin and get on with things.
Reply 18
Yes, our UCAS predictions are not till next year, but my issue is i feel that the work i have done, results i achieved and effort i put in have not been recognised despite my apparent achievements in tests.

And i feel that with the mind set of teachers been im going to get D, C and B isnt going to work out well when i need good predicted grades for my UCAS form. There is no way without direct proof (i was under the impression i gave that with my test scores ) a teacher will believe a C grade predicted student will get any A*

Just ignore predicted grades (as in these reports) they mean nothing and you have to understand its october, they can't definitively say "this person will get an A" just because they've had a good start to the term. A lot of people start off year 12 the same as yourself and are very motivated but most lost it by the end of the year. You shouldn't be worried about being recognised for the tests or whatever, just do your thing and prove them wrong when its actually important.
Cambridge are NOT GCSE heavy, in fact the complete opposite. Although I do have my doubts about going from your GCSE grades to achieving that target at a level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest