The Student Room Group

Women and the Armed Forces

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PTMalewski
Taks must be accomplished, no matter by who. Standards must be adjusted to tasks, not age or something else.

See my original post, this is exactly what happens. When a specific task requires a specific physical ability, that ability is fixed and is not age or gender specific.

Basic levels of background fitness are also fixed to a specific standard, but that standard is based on age and gender.
Original post by Drewski
You're just fulfilling your own edict. You say it's a false assumption, but then you provide feck all evidence to support that. And again, you said it: "soldier". Why not airman? Why not sailor? Why do you assume the only people in the military are in the Army?

I didn't know that airmen are not soldiers.

Original post by Drewski

And do you think the myriad of Army medics, lots of whom are female, who work directly on the front line with patrols shouldn't be there? Because even though they are strong and fit, they're not quite as fit as some guys? Fine, but you can tell her yourself.

Read again my previous post please. I said, that standards must be adjusted to tasks. If women can accomplish particular task, then I don't see any problem.

Original post by Drewski

This system has worked for decades.

Why do you think it'll suddenly stop working?

I shall repeat it again: a task must be accomplished. If this requires particular skills, physical strenght or mental strenght, everyone who are intended to execute this particular task, ought to fulfill particular requirements.

Don't tell me if the system works, because we don't know it. It turns out at war.
I didn't know that airmen are not soldiers.

Read again my previous post please. I said, that standards must be adjusted to tasks. If women can accomplish particular task, then I don't see any problem.

I shall repeat it again: a task must be accomplished. If this requires particular skills, physical strenght or mental strenght, everyone who are intended to execute this particular task, ought to fulfill particular requirements.

Don't tell me if the system works, because we don't know it. It turns out at war.

I get the feeling that you don't really know what you're talking about.
Original post by Drewski
I get the feeling that you don't really know what you're talking about.

I have read description of the system made by threeportdrift. There is nothing difficult to understand.

Certain organization exists to fulfill certain task. If it can it's fine, just remember that in case of army some parts of the organization cannot be tested when not at war. Not to mention that war period puts additional stress on entire organization, and edges of performance may be required from everyone. Even from those who work deep behind the lines. Imagine logistics in difficult terrain during a decisive battle. Supplies must arrive in time, no matter the obstacles.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have read description of the system made by threeportdrift. There is nothing difficult to understand.

Certain organization exists to fulfill certain task. If it can it's fine, just remember that in case of army some parts of the organization cannot be tested when not at war. Not to mention that war period puts additional stress on entire organization, and edges of performance may be required from everyone.

It's with bearing in mind that when you're talking to 3pd you're talking to someone with considerable experience of being in the armed forces. In a discussion of this kind it's worth shutting up and agreeing with her because otherwise you'll wind up looking like an idiot.

And for the record, I think the 15 years we were at war in Iraq and Afghanistan are a reasonable indicator that the system of testing we currently have works fine.
Original post by Drewski
It's with bearing in mind that when you're talking to 3pd you're talking to someone with considerable experience of being in the armed forces. In a discussion of this kind it's worth shutting up and agreeing with her because otherwise you'll wind up looking like an idiot.

Who is an idiot. The one who speaks basic logic, or the one who fails to understand it?
How many times am I to repeat that tasks matter, so you can understand that if they are accomplished then system works fine, and sex or age are irrelevant?
Who is an idiot.

Who is? The one who disagrees with himself, I'd say

Women usually prove mentally unreliable in combat, then why army performance would be worsened even more by lowering physical requirements?

Either you think different physical requirements are OK or not. You can't think they're both good and bad.
Original post by Drewski

Either you think different physical requirements are OK or not. You can't think they're both good and bad.

The question was, I believe, should physical requirements be lowered for women. The answer must be no. Requirements should be adjusted to tasks that are to be performed and it doesn't matter who passes. What matters is can intended tasks be accomplished by any person who fulfills requirements.

To support the previous statement, I take it that you do understand the language:
http://www.tvn24.pl/wiadomosci-ze-swiata,2/raport-izraelskiej-armii-kobiety-nie-nadaja-sie-do-czolgow,543430.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
Surely there's more than 1 in the RAF and at least 1 in the Navy...? Pilots, helicopter crew....

There are no separate fitness requirements other than the basic standards in the RN for aircrew.
The question was, I believe, should physical requirements be lowered for women. The answer must be no. Requirements should be adjusted to tasks that are to be performed and it doesn't matter who passes. What matters is can intended tasks be accomplished by any person who fulfills requirements.

Therein lies the issue. You are supporting equal testing without taking into account the differences between people.

Women already serving in the armed forces have a 'lower' standard to meet, but one that is proportional to their abilities. You are simultaneously saying this is wrong and correct.

To support the previous statement, I take it that you do understand the language:
http://www.tvn24.pl/wiadomosci-ze-swiata,2/raport-izraelskiej-armii-kobiety-nie-nadaja-sie-do-czolgow,543430.html

Mental fitness is a separate issue and one that cannot really be adequately tested for just yet. After all, plenty of men end up being unsuitable for action.
(edited 7 years ago)

Women usually prove mentally unreliable in combat, then why army performance would be worsened even more by lowering physical requirements?

If you think this is the case, then you need to inform the MoD. I ran policy for certain aspects of conduct after capture/resistance to interrogation training and I can tell you from first hand experience that this is most certainly NOT the case. In fact, the least resilient 'broad category' of people who crack first are highly successful WASP men (eg fast jet aircrew, SAS etc), for various reasons you might be able to work out.

You are eliding the ideas of statistics of a population level versus selected characteristics. There are all sorts of population averages (like the one I indicate above), that you can avoid if you go through a rigorous selection process. And it is worth going through that selection process for a number of reasons, but mostly because you need numbers of people, with a relatively rare selection of skills and aptitudes, and you can have tolerances such that, once a threshold of ability has been reached, (eg fit enough for combat) then you can leave the rest to luck.

Even all male teams there will be better thinkers than physical doers, there will be better planners than executers, there will be better medics than linguists, there will be better snipers, better endurance runners, better load carriers etc etc etc. But loyalty, determination, ability to endure pain etc - be careful presuming these are held to a higher level in men - the evidence does not bear that out in current MoD evidence. Being male or female just adds an extra dimension to this, but with a highly rigorous selection process, which the Armed Forces have had ever since conscription ended, gender just isn't an issue.
Original post by Drewski
Therein lies the issue. You are supporting equal testing without taking into account the differences between people.

How many times am I to repeat that TASK matters, not the one who does it!

Original post by Drewski

Women already serving in the armed forces have a 'lower' standard to meet, but one that is proportional to their abilities.

If this does not have negative effect on army's performance, it only means that requirements for women are at the level whic his necessary to accomplish intended task. There is no contradition.

Original post by threeportdrift
If you think this is the case, then you need to inform the MoD. I ran policy for certain aspects of conduct after capture/resistance to interrogation training and I can tell you from first hand experience that this is most certainly NOT the case. In fact, the least resilient 'broad category' of people who crack first are highly successful WASP men (eg fast jet aircrew, SAS etc), for various reasons you might be able to work out.

You are eliding the ideas of statistics of a population level versus selected characteristics. There are all sorts of population averages (like the one I indicate above), that you can avoid if you go through a rigorous selection process. And it is worth going through that selection process for a number of reasons, but mostly because you need numbers of people, with a relatively rare selection of skills and aptitudes, and you can have tolerances such that, once a threshold of ability has been reached, (eg fit enough for combat) then you can leave the rest to luck.

Even all male teams there will be better thinkers than physical doers, there will be better planners than executers, there will be better medics than linguists, there will be better snipers, better endurance runners, better load carriers etc etc etc. But loyalty, determination, ability to endure pain etc - be careful presuming these are held to a higher level in men - the evidence does not bear that out in current MoD evidence. Being male or female just adds an extra dimension to this, but with a highly rigorous selection process, which the Armed Forces have had ever since conscription ended, gender just isn't an issue.

Acknowledged.
(edited 7 years ago)
How many times am I to repeat that TASK matters, not the one who does it!

So then you admit that what you wrote below is incorrect?

The question was, I believe, should physical requirements be lowered for women. The answer must be no.
Original post by Harpoon
There are no separate fitness requirements other than the basic standards in the RN for aircrew.

In fairness, that comment was aimed at something I wrote that wasn't as clear as it should have been.
Original post by Drewski
So then you admit that what you wrote below is incorrect?

A nonsense conclusion. Requirements ought to be at level which guarantees that intended tasks will be accomplished, not at level which guarantees that there will be more women/men/LGBT/snowmen/unicorns in armed forces. Sex/gender is completely irrelevant and none of requirements should be adjusted to it. If I'm too weak to drive a tank, I should not be allowed to do it. If I'm strong enough to do something else in the army, I should pass a test for this something, because the task requires lower strenght, but sex/gender or age have nothing to with it.
(edited 7 years ago)
A nonsense conclusion. Requirements ought to be at level which guarantees that intended tasks will be accomplished, not at level which guarantees that there will be more women/men/LGBT/snowmen/unicorns in armed forces. Sex is completely irrelevant and none of requirements should be adjusted to it. If I'm too weak to drive a tank, I should not be allowed to do it. If I'm strong enough to do something else in the army, I should pass a test for this something, because the task requires lower strenght, but sex, age or gender have nothing to with it.

No matter what you say at this point, you're disagreeing with yourself in one way or another.

Like it or not age and sex do have an effect on people, which is why the scores required in physical tests (nb and only physical tests) reflect that.

Look it up for yourself, the British armed forces requires a different pass mark for their fitness tests if you are older and/or if you are female. An 18 year old man needs one score, a 40 year old man another score and a 20 year old woman another score (which is actually quite close to the 40 year old man's score).

That is the case. That will remain the case. It has been the case through wars. It works. So why are you saying it doesn't?
Original post by Drewski
No matter what you say at this point, you're disagreeing with yourself in one way or another.

No. You're just adding assumptions which are not in the text, so you see something different than is written, but this is typical for us, who learn how to understand aesopian language, but have no courses of basic logic at schools.

Original post by Drewski

Like it or not age and sex do have an effect on people, which is why the scores required in physical tests (nb and only physical tests) reflect that.

I didn't say it's different. I only said that ability to accomplish tasks is relevant. You won't send a 90 year old man for SAS mission for obvious reasons, as well as you won't send anyone who can't perform good enough, no matter is it a man or a woman.

Original post by Drewski

Look it up for yourself, the British armed forces requires a different pass mark for their fitness tests if you are older and/or if you are female. An 18 year old man needs one score, a 40 year old man another score and a 20 year old woman another score (which is actually quite close to the 40 year old man's score).

That is the case. That will remain the case. It has been the case through wars. It works.

Which only means that the lowest required score is enough to get the job done.

Original post by Drewski

So why are you saying it doesn't?

Where did I say so? I didn't and if you were not so quick to insult me, you would not be afraid to admit it. I keep telling you that requirements should fit to tasks, this is or should be obvious. The British Armed Forces may have double, triple or whatever number standards, but if it works, it only means that lowest requirements for each task are high enough, and taking sex/gender or age into account in this discussion is pointless, because the requirements are at first adjusted to tasks, and to sex/gender or age only after it, probably for completely different reasons than ability to accomplish.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Harpoon

Surprising. Do you think there should be?
Original post by cbreef
Surprising. Do you think there should be?

Why do you think it's surprising?
Where did I say so?

In your very first post.
If you can't acknowledge the fact that you said "fitness standards shouldn't be lowered for women" then quite frankly I don't know what the **** you're on about. I appreciate we're not conversing in your first language, but if you're going to engage in the subject, then you're going to be pulled in what you say and how you say things.

If you can't accept you said one thing and are now saying another I'm not going engage you further, it's just a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending