The Student Room Group

A Level Confusion

Right ive just completed my gcses/igcses whatever you want to call them

Now the UNI's ive shortlisted require ATLEAST 5 gcses and 3 A Levels

What is my next step?

Is it A Levels or AS Levels and whats the diffrence.

Suppose I take "A Level" in 4 subjects then is "AS" Level the more advanced half of the course or something like that.

basically whats next...?

Im getting confused diffrent people telling me diffrent things
Reply 1
AS is the first year of an A-Level course (so, half an A-level), you then do A2, the second half, and those two halves together make up a full A-Level.
Reply 2
AS level is the first year of the course, then A2 level is the second year of the course, they combine to make an A Level.
Reply 3
Mr Ben
AS level is the first year of the course, then A2 level is the second year of the course, they combine to make an A Level.

Ah I see so when someone says they need 3 alevels they basically mean AS + A2?
Reply 4
Also what if a subject just says course time 1 year A Level is that 1 full alevel?
Reply 5
An A level means the AS + A2, yes

A one year course will do both parts in a year, which can be a lot of work

it might be worth checking the format - some colleges will put you in with the AS and A2 groups so that you start both halves together - this can be confusing if some of the A2 bits build on the AS stuff that you haven't done yet, so you may need to do extra work. Other 1 year courses basically teach the AS in just over a term and then do A2 in a similar time - at least then you're doing everything in a proper sequence
Most people will do 4 subjects at AS level, in the first year then drop one in the second year and carry on 3 to the A2 level.

Latest