The Student Room Group

Looking to apply to GEM - A-levels in 3 years?

Hi everyone,

In the last couple of years I've developed a strong desire to become a doctor, because I feel it would be such a worthwhile career, whilst it also makes good use of some of my traits - attention to detail, tenacity and resilience, as well as a desire to make a difference! An interest in anatomy and the body from a very young age also goes without saying.

Anyway, I had little motivation to work hard in my first year of A-levels, which I deeply regret; this meant I had to complete my a-levels in 3 years as opposed to 2, coming out with BBB. Assuming I got a very good UKCAT/GAMSAT score and a high 2:1 or a first in my present degree (Biochemistry), with lots of patient-centred work experience, would the 3 years at A-level put me at a major disadvantage with medical schools who look at these grades?

Thanks
Are u in uni right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Student7866
Are u in uni right now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, 1st year
Reply 4
Original post by HazzaCrawf
Hi everyone,

In the last couple of years I've developed a strong desire to become a doctor, because I feel it would be such a worthwhile career, whilst it also makes good use of some of my traits - attention to detail, tenacity and resilience, as well as a desire to make a difference! An interest in anatomy and the body from a very young age also goes without saying.

Anyway, I had little motivation to work hard in my first year of A-levels, which I deeply regret; this meant I had to complete my a-levels in 3 years as opposed to 2, coming out with BBB. Assuming I got a very good UKCAT/GAMSAT score and a high 2:1 or a first in my present degree (Biochemistry), with lots of patient-centred work experience, would the 3 years at A-level put me at a major disadvantage with medical schools who look at these grades?

Thanks

Hardly any GEM programmes consider anything prior to your degree. There are a few and their A-level requirements are quite detailed. I am afraid it will just be a case of checking where you wish to apply and seeing how they deal with A-levels, but most places do not consider them.
Original post by Marathi
Hardly any GEM programmes consider anything prior to your degree. There are a few and their A-level requirements are quite detailed. I am afraid it will just be a case of checking where you wish to apply and seeing how they deal with A-levels, but most places do not consider them.

Unfortunately this is incorrect. I would say those that just look at your degree and those that look at stuff prior to uni are 50:50. Although they have much lower A level requirements than normal A100 courses, they still have them and so I would advise looking at their requirements individually.
Reply 6
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
Unfortunately this is incorrect. I would say those that just look at your degree and those that look at stuff prior to uni are 50:50. Although they have much lower A level requirements than normal A100 courses, they still have them and so I would advise looking at their requirements individually.

Apologies. I didn't realise how prevalent A-levels were for GEM. Most of the course I can apply to don't look at them, however it seems the ones I am excluded from do!
Reply 7
Original post by MedSchoolHope4

So back to my original question:

If I got a lot of work experience, a good score in BMAT/GAMSAT/UKCAT & managed to get a very high 2:1 or even a first in my current degree, would my 3 years of A-levels disadvantage me in any way, in your opinion? I am of course talking about those unis whose requirements for A-levels I would meet (ie BBB)
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Depending on where you want to apply, you will have to be careful with their entry requirements to avoid straight rejections.
So back to my original question:

If I got a lot of work experience, a good score in BMAT/GAMSAT/UKCAT & managed to get a very high 2:1 or even a first in my current degree, would my 3 years of A-levels disadvantage me in any way, in your opinion? I am of course talking about those unis whose requirements for A-levels I would meet (ie BBB)

Many are ABB but with a first predicted and a good entrance exam score, it won't disadvantage you, no. A level requirement is more of a box tick than a ranking as such but still important to meet it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending