The Student Room Group

EPQ Ideas for a Prospective English Literature Student?

Hello all
I'm in the early stages of my EPQ: Picking a topic.
I did the HPQ at GCSE, and based it on how social media affects the communication and education of a teenager, which I found really interesting. However, it was a lot more English-language based than literature based. I want to prove through my EPQ to universities that I have an interest in literature away from the classroom and other than wider reading, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it. My ideas so far are as follows (roughly):
-Are books 'dying out'? Why is this?
-Has language and our use of it changed since the introduction of the internet/social media? How much? How so?
-How big actually is the gender gap? Why? Is it changing?
-How have attitudes towards literature changed over time?

At the moment, I'm definitely leaning towards the second option, but, again, I fear I may be leaning to far towards linguistics. But we're supposed to study something we're interested in, right? Perhaps I could twist it to make it more literature based?
What do you guys think is the best course of action?
Thanks in advance for advice, and constructive criticism is more than welcome.

(Just FYI, I am currently studying in Y12: English literature, English language, Geography, and Spanish)
Maybe, given your interests, you should be studying Linguistics. I'm a final year RG linguist and will be studying an MSc in Neurolinguisics at UCL next year, so AMA! :-)
I think that you may be leaning too far towards linguistics in your ideas. Personally I would not conflate language/linguistics with literature at all. If you're wanting to do apurely English literature based project then I would say pick a book you enjoy and analyse it. For example, 'How are *insert themes* demonstarted in *book of your choice*'. However, I understand that this is a very traditional approach and you may want to do something more comtemporary. I've seen some different examples such as 'why is *insert book* such a great novel?' This kind of steers aways from pure analysis. I think that your ideas are interesting but they are too broad. The EPQ has to be a narrow focus in order to plan and evaluate your project effectively. If you really want to do a language/linguistics based project then go for it! I'm applying for English Language & Literature and I'm only doing a literature based EPQ so I made the conscious effort of showing my interest in language in my personal statement.
Hope this helps & good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Maybe, given your interests, you should be studying Linguistics. I'm a final year RG linguist and will be studying an MSc in Neurolinguisics at UCL next year, so AMA! :-)

That's awesome!
I do find linguistics interesting, but not to the extent that I would study it at university. I am, for example, more interested in the social side of it than the science side of it, and there are so many things I just can't get my head around!
In short, I'm definitely loyal to English Literature, and I have dreamed of studying it at uni since I was like, 12. Thus, I'm looking for a topic that will help me prove this love but, you know, complete mind blank at the most important times! :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by existential
I think that you may be leaning too far towards linguistics in your ideas. Personally I would not conflate language/linguistics with literature at all. If you're wanting to do apurely English literature based project then I would say pick a book you enjoy and analyse it. For example, 'How are *insert themes* demonstarted in *book of your choice*'. However, I understand that this is a very traditional approach and you may want to do something more comtemporary. I've seen some different examples such as 'why is *insert book* such a great novel?' This kind of steers aways from pure analysis. I think that your ideas are interesting but they are too broad. The EPQ has to be a narrow focus in order to plan and evaluate your project effectively. If you really want to do a language/linguistics based project then go for it! I'm applying for English Language & Literature and I'm only doing a literature based EPQ so I made the conscious effort of showing my interest in language in my personal statement.
Hope this helps & good luck! :smile:

I guess my main problem is making my project original, and stand out, like you said. I don't want to restrict myself to reading 1 text and talking about it, because a) that's very similar to what we do in lesson, and b) I am too indecisive to pick just one text. At the moment, I'm leaning towards researching how our language has changed over time, but exploring it through published works, like essays from 30 years ago vs. essays from 5 years ago etc.
I definitely know what you mean about the broad thing - I did the HPQ and did so much narrowing down! I'm in the early stages at the moment, so I probably won't do anything like what I'm saying in the end!
If you don't mind me asking, what did you settle on for your EPQ?
Original post by Liviamily
That's awesome!
I do find linguistics interesting, but not to the extent that I would study it at university. I am, for example, more interested in the social side of it than the science side of it, and there are so many things I just can't get my head around!
In short, I'm definitely loyal to English Literature, and I have dreamed of studying it at uni since I was like, 12. Thus, I'm looking for a topic that will help me prove this love but, you know, complete mind blank at the most important times! :redface:

A lot of university courses focus heavily on sociolinguistics/applied linguistics. Or do a combined course - QMUL and Westminster do English Literature and Linguistics off the top of my head :-) Take a look!
Reply 6
Original post by Liviamily
Hello all
I'm in the early stages of my EPQ: Picking a topic.
I did the HPQ at GCSE, and based it on how social media affects the communication and education of a teenager, which I found really interesting. However, it was a lot more English-language based than literature based. I want to prove through my EPQ to universities that I have an interest in literature away from the classroom and other than wider reading, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it. My ideas so far are as follows (roughly):
-Are books 'dying out'? Why is this?
-Has language and our use of it changed since the introduction of the internet/social media? How much? How so?
-How big actually is the gender gap? Why? Is it changing?
-How have attitudes towards literature changed over time?

At the moment, I'm definitely leaning towards the second option, but, again, I fear I may be leaning to far towards linguistics. But we're supposed to study something we're interested in, right? Perhaps I could twist it to make it more literature based?
What do you guys think is the best course of action?
Thanks in advance for advice, and constructive criticism is more than welcome.

(Just FYI, I am currently studying in Y12: English literature, English language, Geography, and Spanish)

I am also taking EPQ and have decided to do an investigation on Shakespeare so relates to English Literature. I have found myself stuck also as I keep changing my idea and I recently changed from a completely different topic of cultural appropriation. I really like the idea of the 2nd and 4th one as they mention English Language/Literature in the title so if a university or anyone was looking at it they would be able to work out the subject from first glance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending