The Student Room Group

Does anyone else think safe space and trigger warning culture is moronic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Athconsec

needed but generally not the the idiotc extend some people enforce it to be
If we're talking about safe spaces and trigger warnings at University, no, they're not needed.

When attending University you accept that you'll be exposed to opinions and comments you won't necessarily agree with and might offend. If you don't want to have any part in that you can **** off.

I think I'll probably have some really strong opinions this but you need to explain exactly what you mean and why you think it's moronic...
Reply 4
regressive far left SJW rhetoric that does nothing but impede progress. The kind of people that think university is not an intellectual space, but a place to which they go for the sole purpose of 'feeling comfortable'.
Reply 5
you really think it is needed.......
Trigger warnings should begin and end with reasonable things like epilepsy warnings or disturbing content warnings on news channels etc.

But safe spaces and trigger warnings at Universities and places of learning? Babies need to grow up.
Safe spaces are a very dangerous idea.
I'm indifferent to it. I find threads moaning about it more irritating tbh.
Whatever happened to encouraging people to develop thick skin and just deal with bs they don't like to hear?
Reply 10
you are part of the problem.
Every anti-PC student I have met has been a sperg so I am fully supportive of putting them in a safe space.
Reply 12
Original post by Orbital Rising
Every anti-PC student I have met has been a sperg so I am fully supportive of putting them in a safe space.

your use of the word 'sperg' is very telling.
your use of the word 'sperg' is very telling.

It's a technical descriptor. I don't feel the need to say it in real life to deliberately upset their feelings or write a blog complaining about my life because I have to interact with them. I am polite to people because that is a positive character trait.
Yeah. I mean, trigger warnings should include and be limited to reasonable things like drug use, sexual references, and any disturbing content on news channels (i.e. someone who has been in the military and suffers from PTSD may benefit from being warned that there is a child who suffers from disturbing injuries about to appear on TV). But not like "Trigger warning - eyes", "Trigger warning - opinion" or "Trigger warning - able-bodied person" now that is ridiculous.

Safe spaces, well I haven't thought about those much. I've heard about safe spaces for, say, young people who are out in a city late on a night and perhaps that could be a good thing - so that they have a place to go to call home or get help without having to stand around a dark corner. Although you can just as easily go to a supermarket or fast-food restaurant where there are bound to be reasonable people working late. I think for the most part the safe space culture is a bit silly. At the end of the day it's segregating one type of person from another. A safe-space user might grow increasingly cautious of others who breach their safe-space expectations, and that is bound to be destructive.

Unless it is something that is reasonable (i.e. trigger warning for rape just in case a rape victim is watching, or trigger warning for adult content so children can be kept away approprately) I think that it is stupid. If something offends you, get over it. I hate the sight of dead animals but I won't police people about it, I just keep away from dead animal pictures.
Someone's just discovered Milo.
Wait, what is all this about?
Reply 17
Original post by Mnemosyne.
Someone's just discovered Milo.

Dont dig yourself a hole.
Reply 18
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Yeah. I mean, trigger warnings should include and be limited to reasonable things like drug use, sexual references, and any disturbing content on news channels (i.e. someone who has been in the military and suffers from PTSD may benefit from being warned that there is a child who suffers from disturbing injuries about to appear on TV). But not like "Trigger warning - eyes", "Trigger warning - opinion" or "Trigger warning - able-bodied person" now that is ridiculous.

Safe spaces, well I haven't thought about those much. I've heard about safe spaces for, say, young people who are out in a city late on a night and perhaps that could be a good thing - so that they have a place to go to call home or get help without having to stand around a dark corner. Although you can just as easily go to a supermarket or fast-food restaurant where there are bound to be reasonable people working late. I think for the most part the safe space culture is a bit silly. At the end of the day it's segregating one type of person from another. A safe-space user might grow increasingly cautious of others who breach their safe-space expectations, and that is bound to be destructive.

Unless it is something that is reasonable (i.e. trigger warning for rape just in case a rape victim is watching, or trigger warning for adult content so children can be kept away approprately) I think that it is stupid. If something offends you, get over it. I hate the sight of dead animals but I won't police people about it, I just keep away from dead animal pictures.

finally some sense. appropriate profile picture.
finally some sense. appropriate profile picture.

Why thank-you :holmes: :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending