The Student Room Group

LivToBe a star

WELCOME!!!

Aims for this blog:

Encourage me to be consistent with my revision and not slack off

Keep an account of things I've done through out the year so that I can be able to see which methods were most effective

And obviously to help me get the grades I want in my A-levels

Background:
GCSE:
A*-maths
A*- further maths
A- core science [in year 10]
A- additional science
A- further additional science
A- history
A- English lit
A- English lang. [I resat this in January]
B- French
B- drama

AS results:
A- Chemistry
B- Maths
B- Physics
C- Biology

Present:
Predicted grades:
A- Chemistry
A- Maths
A- Physics
( Gladly dropped Bio :biggrin:)

Mock Results:
A- Maths
C- Chemistry
D- Physics

Comments on Mocks:

As my maths result was on target, I will continue to do what I am currently doing but I could be answering more past paper questions (and also questions that would challenge me).

For Chemistry, my main downfall was in the practicals as I hadn't approached those questions before. This signifies that I need to check what was in the new vs. old spec and make sure that I review the new spec. content.

Tbh, I don't really know how to approach Physics. My main problem was the A2 content therefore I think I need to be paying better attention in class, making sure I understand the concepts and also practising a lot more exam-style/past paper questions.

I hope to achieve 3A's but I would like an A* in one of my subjects (in Chemistry or Maths-hoping for an A in physics is even reaching my limits but I will try).

Uni applications (All for Chemical Engineering BEng):
Standard offer My offer
University of Manchester (AAA) Invitation to interview (8/03/17)
University of Nottingham (AAA) AAB
Loughborough University (AAB) Invitation to interview (15/02/17)
University of Surrey (AAB) AAB
University College London (AAA) Acknowledged
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nice pun in the title there :biggrin:

Great grades and some top choice unis there too! Can't wait to see more in the coming months! Any idea what your last uni choice is going to be?

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
The main reason why I haven't been posting for this week is because I had half-term assessment this week (I'll post the results next week) and I really wanted to finish my UCAS application this week- and I have!!! I was going to put Lancaster as my fifth choice but my mum really wanted to me put UCL and as it is my fifth choice I didn't think it was that deep.
Reply 3
Summary of the weekend: Majority of my work was done on Saturday. I was able to makes notes on pH and the acid dissociation constant (Chemistry) and notes on gravitational potential and orbits and gravity (Physics). For both subjects I used the CGP book as it contains a condensed information on what I need to know for my exams. Howeve, I do remember in class for physics that we did a lot of on polar satellities but the book doesn't contain much information on it and the AQA specification is not very detailed. I think I am going to add info on polar satellities to my notes as it's better safe than sorry!!! I was also able to review the C3 Trigonometry that I have done so far and add the tips and tricks that I should remember.

On Sunday, I mainly rested which I have mixed feelings with as I was really tired but I know I could have done more work. Anysway, it wasn't a waste as I was able to finsih my homework for the week. I think next week I'll use this day for planning and organisation, as well as, reviewing work for the week or maybe I could use it for AS revision.
Reply 4
Monday: I didn't really do much as I didn't get a good night's sleep and it really impacted me in the afternoon. Note to self: Get at least 6 hours of sleep.
Reply 5
Week Review (21/11/16-27/11/16)

For last week, my plan was to study a subject a day so that it would be easier to keep track of how much work I did. So my week plan turned out to be...

Monday- A2 Maths (Trigonometry)
Tuesday- AS Physics (Electricity I)
Wednesday- A2 Physics- (Magnetic fields,the beginnings of the topic)
Thursday- A2 Chemistry (Lattice enthalpy ,the beginnings of the topic)
Friday- AS Maths (C2 Trigonometry) and AS Chemistry (Physical chemistry)

For Friday, I put two subjects instead of one as I wanted to keep Saturday for reviewing work and on Friday I have more frees than any other day and I can go to bed later.

WWW:

I was able to clearly see how much I done each day for when it came to review which was helpful in prioritising which subjects to review.

There was no confusion on what I was doing for a particular day or what to revise.

The effort that I put to each of my subjects was fairly equal.

EBI:

By efficiency was very low as the work I did in a day could have been done in an hour !!!

I wasn't able to fit some subjects onto the plan (such as C1 and D1) as there was not enough days.

For subjects that I spent on pre-reading, I was not able to document much as too much time was spent into understanding the topic first.

Overall rating:
2.5/5 :redface: (Not too god, not too bad)
Reply 6
For this following week I have decided to put each sub-subject (e.g C3 for Maths) into a 1-hour slot and as I would be able to fit all the subjects into the 5-day week with room to spare!! I am having trouble uploading the timetable that I made on Google Sheets so I will upload it later. I hope this week goes well !!!! :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 7
Monday 28th Ocotober 2016- Daily Review

Maths C3 Study Session
I was not able to have this study session as I came back home too late. I have put this session onto my catch-up session on Tuesday.
Rating:0/5 :frown:

Chemistry A2 Organic Study Session
I kept it simple today and just made notes on Chirality as my study session was cut short today. However, I have only gotten up to Chirality in lessons anyway which makes this session good review of work but as my teacher says that we are revising from now on until the January mocks I didn't want to do any pre-reading.
Rating: 2.5/5 :redface:

Physics A2 Teacher 1 Study session
I made notes on Thermal Energy Transfer and the Gas Laws from the CGP book. It wasn't too hard as it was just making notes from a book but I do think I could improve o next time by answering some questions.
Rating: 3/5 :smile:

Overall comments:
As this is the first day of this new system, I am not fully adapted to it as it means that I have to know exatctly what I am doing for the hour and I am still ammending the timetable to my schedule therefore I was not able to have all the sessions I wanted. I also think that I need to improve the pace I work out so that I can go onto do other things in the study session (i.e. answer questions, make flashcard etc.)
Reply 8
Ok, so I have been posting lately (kinda skipped the month of November)... umm don't really have a good reason (it was a mixture forgetting to post and when I did remember, I didn't really think the work I done that day was worthwhile).

Anyways, today is a new week and the much-anticipated CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS has begun!!! :biggrin::biggrin::dancing::holly2::jebus:
Reply 9
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS
DAY 1- Monday 19th December 2016

Tbh, I haven't really done much today as I had a lot of errands to do and when I decided to organise my folders it took A LOT LONGER than I thought it would. I created a plan for the holidays but it wasn't really good as it's not really practical so I'm going to make a new plan tomorrow.

Overall: 1/5 :frown: (At least I got organised)
Reply 10
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS
DAY 2- Tuesday 20th December 2016

Today, didn't really start of good as I woke up in the afternoon. Personally, I really hate when it happens because I always feel like I have wasted a day and it reduces my productivity so I need to start going to bed on time (I went to bed at 3 in the morning). In terms of work, I didn't really do much as I still had some errands to do plus I was still trying to create a plan for the holidays. I have had to come to terms with the fact that I can't do all the past papers I wanted and that a timetable based on time wouldn't really work for the holidays. Instead, I have decided to make a checklist of all the things I want to get done this holiday and I'll upload it tomorrow.

Overall: 0/5 :mad:
Reply 11
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS
DAY 3- Wednesday 21st December 2016

Today has been better than other days as I have actually started my revision (eventhough it was not much albeit a start at last). I mainly made summaries for my Gravitational Fields notes and made further annotations and corrections from reading other notes and resources. Tomorrow, I think I will focus more on answering questions and addressing the one question I had. I also hope to do some C3 revision and A2 Chemistry revision.

Overall: 2.5/5 :redface:
Reply 12
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS
DAY 4- Thursday 22nd December 2016

I was able to do questions from the CGP book and multiple choice questions (I got 21/25 which is quite good ) on the topic of Gravitational Field. In the evening, I sat down to do a C3 paper but I really struggled with it so I decided that I would revise the topics individually.

Overall: 2/5
Hey good luck! I've got a thread too and if you've any tips for me (because of our similar subjects) I'd love to hear them https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4233122.

Have a good Christmas! x :smile:
Reply 14
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS
DAY 8- Monday 26th December 2016

Today has been a lot better than other days. I was able to make summaries on my periodic motion notes and answer some questions. I was also able to make notes on matching for D1 and answer some questions. For chemistry, I started to make posters for the old Unit 2 but stopped as I didn't feel it was right so next time I'm just going to do a test paper. And for Maths, I marked the Trigonometry questions from a pack of past paper questions that I did earlier in the year.

Overall:3.5/5:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by brainzistheword
Hey good luck! I've got a thread too and if you've any tips for me (because of our similar subjects) I'd love to hear them https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4233122.

Have a good Christmas! x :smile:

Ok thanks, I'll take a look!
Reply 16
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS
DAY 9- Tuesday 27th December 2016

Today, I went shopping and I also had to attend an event so I time was limited. I was able to make notes on Prims' algorithm and I was able to make summaries for my Carbonyl compound notes and answer a couple questions.

P.S. I think I am going to hide my phone during the day as it becoming a distraction.

Overall: 2.5/5 :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Spring term: Week 1
2nd-8th January 2017

I wasn't able to post daily this week as I had my mock week this week and it was really intense (due to having the exams in just 3 days!!). So I mainly spent my time revising for tests.

I will post the results when I am given them but I don't think I did well in Physics so I really need to work on that and I'm unsure about Chemistry and Maths.

Overall: Unsure? :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Spring term: Week 2
Day 1 (6)- Monday 9th January 2017

Tbh, it was quite a disappointing day as I didn't do much considering I didn't attend school today. I was able to do a C3 test in which I got a B (I'm not sure because it's the June 2005 paper and the grade boundaries aren't really clear). I was also able to do a Physics Unit 4 paper which I did not come round to marking. I hope I make more use of my time tomorrow.

Overall: 2/5 :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck! :biggrin: :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending