The Student Room Group

Racist BBC launches #WhiteHeroes campaign. Part of 'White British' season.

It's part of its 'White British' season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/pxVr6vWtglcQz0v1DsfMl1/about-the-season

Snippets pulled from the article:

"Headlining the season is historian David Olusoga’s four-part series for BBC Two, White and British: A Forgotten History."

"Also on BBC Two is White is the new White, which features some of our most influential and talented white Britons expressing to the camera just what it is like to be white and British today."

"A major digital campaign, #whitebritishhero, will be running across the BBC’s social media accounts this autumn, with celebrities, high-profile talent and major institutions nominating their white heroes via short films and images, and encouraging you to do the same."

It seems it's more than The BBC, too:

"The White and British season has been produced in collaboration with a range of partners: the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic England, The National Archives, White Cultural Archives and the BFI. All are participating in the BBC’s White British Hero social media campaign as well as running their own complementary campaigns."

Is this the outcome of a world under President-Elect Trump?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zeus007
Flag shagging, patriotic/nationalist, right wing nonces will always exist. It's scary because this other white dude i was talking to was very afraid of the white race becoming a minority, i was truly shocked people think and care about it in this day and age? Racism is on the rise.

Clearly - the worst part is even The BBC is complicit.
Not being funny but how is this racist?
BBC? The one that refuses to recruit people based on merit but instead uses minority quotas for positive discrimination and expanding their PC agenda?

Ooooh! I see what you did there. :biggrin:

It's disgusting where tax money land these days…
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Be a White British hero!

Marry outside your race

Support open door immigration
It's time we close down the BBC. I am ashamed that my hard earned money is going towards funding this regressive, biased, anti-British institution.
Reply 6
How about a British Asian season? Don't leave us out. Where "brown/olive skinned/few white" is the new "brown/olive skinned/few white", if the BBC is so focused on colour.

We also need a Polish and continental European season, revealing the contributions of Poles and Europeans to Britain.

and in light of the refugee crisis, perhaps also a middle eastern/Arab season, revealing the contributions of Arabs to Britain, it'll help die down racism, xenophobia and Islamophobia that's so rife in this country.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's late, I'm knackered, and I have no idea what this is all about. Can someone explain?
Original post by Dodgypirate
It's late, I'm knackered, and I have no idea what this is all about. Can someone explain?

It's about reading comprehension, or lack thereof. That and moral relativism.
So it's perfectly fine to celebrate the achievements of black people and other minorities, but as soon as anyone says anything good about white people it's suddenly racist? Sorry, I don't buy.

And the result of the US election would have had no effect on whether the BBC does this or not, it's all planned months in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
This post is very clever.
Original post by Tommy59375
So it's perfectly fine to celebrate the achievements of black people and other minorities, but as soon as anyone says anything good about white people it's suddenly racist? Sorry, I don't buy.

And the result of the US election would have had no effect on whether the BBC does this or not, it's all planned months in advance.

Wow. Does anyone on TSR other than @Life_peer read any more? It's almost like everyone is on permanent broadcast mode. I blame social media.
Original post by The Last Citizen
Wow. Does anyone on TSR other than @Life_peer read any more? It's almost like everyone is on permanent broadcast mode. I blame social media.

Balls. Should have clicked the link... I thought that was rather Non-BBC...
Original post by The Last Citizen
It's about reading comprehension, or lack thereof. That and moral relativism.

Ok, ok, I see what you've done.

Sorry, I'm a bit slow at the moment. :colondollar:
Ha, I see what you've done. Not enough people are clicking the link.

lol.
To be honest most white media is racist, and it's only because they make money from it. It's pretty horrible when you think about it.
Original post by Life_peer
BBC? The one that refuses to recruit people based on merit but instead uses minority quotas for positive discrimination and expanding their PC agenda?

Ooooh! I see what you did there. :biggrin:

It's disgusting where tax money land these days…

Positive discrimination in no way means that a person is not selected based on merit. Positive discrimination occurs when two candidates score the same criteria in application and interview, and then the one candidate is favoured based on a characteristic such as a disability.

Please tell me where that makes you believe a candidate isn't recruited based on merit. If the disabled or minority individual scores less, they won't be recruited. But if they score the same, they have a higher chance.
Original post by Dandaman1
Ha, I see what you've done. Not enough people are clicking the link.

lol.

I didn't have to click on the link to know what the OP did. It was very predictable.
Original post by XO_Megan_XO
To be honest most white media is racist, and it's only because they make money from it. It's pretty horrible when you think about it.

I think you've fallen into the same trap I did.
I think it's good to allow minorities to have some focus on their achievement within British society. It's helps them form a stronger British identity for themselves and feel more integrated and attached to Britain. Which is only beneficial for us all.

(It would help if you all actually read what's in the link)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending