The Student Room Group

"Double offer" from the same uni AMA

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4394898#primary_content
After a failure of me to chicken out and decide to apply for a Bsc instead of an Mmath

I got this through meh mail

Dear will'o'wisp
Thank you for your application for the above course.

After reviewing your application, we can see that you are very well qualified to study at the University of Portsmouth and we are very happy to make you a conditional offer on the course you applied for, however we would like to let you know about the following course which may interest you:

MMath Mathematics

Please take a look at the course profile page which has information about the course as well as potential career paths and other opportunities.

As you have a strong academic profile we are confident that you will meet the higher entry requirements of this course, however, if you do not do as well as expected in your exams we will be happy to offer you your original choice instead (as long as you meet our standard entry requirements).

If you would like to be offered a conditional place on this new choice, please let us know by reply email and we will send you your offer as soon as possible - there is no need for you to update UCAS at this time. If we do not hear from you, we will continue to process your application for your original choice.

If you have any questions about your application, please email us at [email protected] or telephone us at +44 (0)23 9284 5566.

With best wishes
The Admissions Team
University Admissions Centre

So this means that they'll gimme an offer for Mmath if i ask for it and even if i do apply for the Mmath and i don't get the requirements they'll still lemme in for the Bsc(if ic an get those grades) right?
Original post by will'o'wisp

So this means that they'll gimme an offer for Mmath if i ask for it and even if i do apply for the Mmath and i don't get the requirements they'll still lemme in for the Bsc(if ic an get those grades) right?

Yes, but don't feel too smug about it. They simply want to tie in an extra year's revenue.
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
Yes, but don't feel too smug about it. They simply want to tie in an extra year's revenue.

:O they got them tricks >.>
:O they got them tricks >.>

Indeed.
Reply 4
Indeed.

So imma still goin for Mmath then? :biggrin:
So imma still goin for Mmath then? :biggrin:

If all of the obvious decision-making criteria suit you (institution, subject, location, course length, cost etc) then I can''t see why you wouldn't.
Reply 6
If all of the obvious decision-making criteria suit you (institution, subject, location, course length, cost etc) then I can''t see why you wouldn't.

ok imma apply for this then
Reply 7
Idgi, why would you apply for a BsC if you were eligible for a masters in the same subject?
Original post by Inexorably
Idgi, why would you apply for a BsC if you were eligible for a masters in the same subject?

Not everyone wants to do an extra year, especially if they don't need a masters for their career path.

The extra year incurs an extra debt and loses a year's salary. The difference may be as much as £40,000 and is unlikely to be less than £24,000. That sort of money may never be made up if the chosen career does not require the masters degree.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Not everyone wants to do an extra year, especially if they don't need a masters for their career path.

The extra year incurs an extra debt and loses a year's salary. The difference may be as much as £40,000 and is unlikely to be less than £24,000. That sort of money may never be made up if the chosen career does not require the masters degree.

Ahhh right I didn't realise it was one year longer, I thought we were just taking about a 3 yr Bsc vs a 1 year Mmath. Thanks for the explanation guys :}
Ahhh right I didn't realise it was one year longer, I thought we were just taking about a 3 yr Bsc vs a 1 year Mmath. Thanks for the explanation guys :}

The clue you missed is that anyone applying for an undergraduate bachelor's degree is extremely unlikely to hold the qualifications necessary to study a one year postgraduate masters degree.
The clue you missed is that anyone applying for an undergraduate bachelor's degree is extremely unlikely to hold the qualifications necessary to study a one year postgraduate masters degree.

Yeah thats why I was very confused ;-)

That's standard practice for all universities/courses offering an undergraduate masters route.

From a student finance point of view you should ALWAYS try for the longer course - swapping from a longer course to a shorter course doesn't cause any finance problems, going the other way can sometimes cause issues (especially if you restart your degree at a new university or have to repeat a year due to personal reasons).
Original post by PQ
That's standard practice for all universities/courses offering an undergraduate masters route.

From a student finance point of view you should ALWAYS try for the longer course - swapping from a longer course to a shorter course doesn't cause any finance problems, going the other way can sometimes cause issues (especially if you restart your degree at a new university or have to repeat a year due to personal reasons).

So i'll get on this MMath then :smile:
Would you take it up the ass?

I didn't know if they'd give me one, see it was a toss up since my predicted were AAC if i chose to go for a MMath then it's be AAA-ABB and it's a risk
Another reason is to complete the "pattern"
I have these 5 choices
AAA
AAB
ABB
BBB
BBC

Original post by Pinkberry_y
Would you take it up the ass?

I'm not into butt stuff, i wouldn't put it up anyone's cheeks neither would i let anyone stick it up my cheeks, if they did then i'd snap it

Quick Reply

Latest