The Student Room Group

Have you ever watched a women's football match?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Major Zero
Women's football is absolute shite.

Any reason you think this? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Forgive it being related to Aston Villa but I feel this was really inspirational especially for women playing footbal, at the end there is even a clip of me in the crowd
[video="youtube;1jOPyfNAhFA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jOPyfNAhFA&sns=fb[/video]
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's bloody discrimination. Why can't Eni Aluko get £300,000 per week?

Because she doesn't bring in the ad and broadcast rights revenue. Do you think it's a coincidence that the PL pays the highest wages and gets the most broadcasting fees?

It has very little to do with discrimination.

If anything quite the opposite, in Germany Bayern and Wolfsburg have in recent years heavily invested in women's football because they had money and are consequently good teams now. It used to just be Frankfurt and Potsdam. Hoffenheim, too, is in the women's Bundesliga something their men's team only achieved not too long ago. I don't know England that well, but I am sure Arsenal and Chelsea have done so, too.
Women's football would benefit greatly if the goals were made slightly smaller, the pitch were smaller and they played 5 minutes less each half.

At many other sports, men compete for longer or harder courses. Take tennis, I am sure women could play best of five, but the quality would be less, as they would have to conserve their energy more.

I am all for equality and whatnot, but one has to accept that there physical differences between the sexes, and there is no shame admitting that and adapting to them.
Reply 45
I am a season ticket holder for Chelsea FC Women and have been for 4 years now. Best quality football ever and a very friendly atmosphere :smile:

(Also seen a few Lionesses matches)
Original post by CFCW
I am a season ticket holder for Chelsea FC Women and have been for 4 years now. Best quality football ever and a very friendly atmosphere :smile:

Well it's not the best quality football is it lol
I often watch England when they're on.
Original post by CFCW

Lol, best quality football. Guess you've only watched local lads play in sunday league
Going to watch England Ladies play at the end of May
I did indeed. Sometimes when a world cup is aired in TV, I watched just out of curiosity. Despite this my preference is men's football, because it is more athletic and faster at pro level.
Original post by CFCW

Gotta love the Lionesses! :love:
I caught a glimpse of it once, but had to switch away. The commentators sounded sooo bored, so I had to switch away. Sorry, but if the commentators can't make it interesting, then nothing can.
I've never been, although we've only set up our women's team this season! Manchester United should win their league and get promoted, so at least one of our teams is having a good year.

I might go out of curiosity at some point.
Original post by ClubNeon
I caught a glimpse of it once, but had to switch away. The commentators sounded sooo bored, so I had to switch away. Sorry, but if the commentators can't make it interesting, then nothing can.

I very often turn games to mute so commentators can't ruin the game.for me, they usually.spot completely.uninteresting nonsense or do little more.than describe what just happened and call.it 'analysis'. Football.is much more enjoyable.towatch with commentary off. Not to mention you start seeing tacticsmore clearly.
Thongs.you n3ver saw with commentators.constantly telling you where.to look.

I watched the USA vs England game in the She beliv3s cup a couple of weeks ago,.quality.i guess was fine, there's.probably.plenty of female.playees.who could get into league 1 and championship sides.

That said I think the biggest difference was the roll of the full backs.in the men's game the FB is.arguable the most important and physical demanding.role. What I noticed in watching womens games was that the full backs generally play made.deeper and conservatively.

Personally, I love s full back who shows almost regard for.defending and an eye.More on the attacking and transitional passes of the.game. It also seems.that the Women's game.is play f.tactical catch up with the men's game.i other areas, where the men's game has moved on from mid eighties sturgidness and seem posed.to.move again, the Women's game.sometimes feels a.little.bejind the times.eith double.DMs and.a focus on counter attacking

I think I'm going to try and get tickets for the Women's.eorld.cup this summer, sounds like.it might end.up being reasonably good and.if.nothing else.i it'll almost certainly cheaper and less.competitive to get tickets than.the.mens.variants.

On women's.football.more.broadly though, I think.it had.the chance.to really bring.back a lot.of.dissafected. fans of the.mens game but the corporate sponsorship, agent fees.Etc, etc has shown.to me that the people.running this.side.of.the game.are just going to see.it.another cash cow and copy.all.tbe mistakes.they already made.

Sorry for long and rambling rant btw I am.high.as.****.right now
I tried to watch it once. Got bored after 2 minutes and changed the channel.
I’d rather be decapitated than sit through a football match of whatever description.
I have watched it a couple of times on the TV. It is different to the men's football it has a different atmosphere I find and tends to be slower pace. Women's football tends to be the equivalent to the men's division level up to championship level. They don't go down like in the men's football and skills are used more maybe, some of the goals are really good. It should be promoted more I think as some of the games are good to watch.

Quick Reply

Latest