The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It really depends on what you get in your A Levels.
Reply 2
"A university" or a specific university?
Unless you're planning on going to Cambridge or Oxford...then yes, it does matter...
Anywhere else...not as much.
Reply 4
I am not planning to go to Oxford or Cambridge...i suppose they arent good enough!

But yeah not a specific university...
ccccc is good enough for uni
Reply 6
It's more to do with your A levels. I only needed C in Maths and English along with my A levels, but like somebody has already said... it depends which university you're planning on going to.
In the end it just depends where you intend to apply to. I heard that Oxbridge, Durham and LSE dwell a lot on GCSEs when deciding between candidates that probably have similar A-Level predictions.
However, if you're not intending to apply to any of these your GCSE grades should be good enough. Your maths and English are at least at grade C, which is the minimum entry requirement for most universities.
So it really just depends what you get in your A-Levels now.
Reply 8
Id just like to add that it also depends on your uni course eg for law some unis want an A in english; maths and mathematically related degrees want an A in maths ect.
Reply 9
As people have mentioned already it really depends on your A level grades. But I'd say you'll be fine with the grades you have. I've only got a D in Maths and am still going to Uni in September.
In the majority of cases, your GCSEs will be fine. It's only the top unis and the most competitive courses that really place a lot of emphasis on them. I'd rethink taking 5 AS levels plus an extra ICT qualification though. AS levels are a lot more work than GCSEs and a lot harder. With 5 subjects, you most likely won't have any frees, so you'll have lots of work to do in the evenings and at weekends, and obviously lots of revision and exams at the end. Even the top unis in the country only expect 3 A-levels and a 4th AS, and it would be far more impressive to take 4 subjects and get BBBB than to take 5 and get CCCCC, for example. I'd also say you don't need to resit science unless you're planning on doing a related course at uni, which from your A-level choices it doesn't look like you are. I'm a bit confused as to what you actually got in music because first you say you got an A and then that you got a C but will resit to get an A :s-smilie: But if you got a C, the same thing applies. Don't bother resitting GCSE, just concentrate on doing as well as possible at A-level because those are much more important.

Latest

Trending

Trending