The Student Room Group

University of plymouth students union bans newpapers they disagree with...

Scroll to see replies

Truth be told, I can't complain about the Daily Mail and Sun being banned, also, in order for them to be newspapers, they would need to contain news. :colonhash: I think we can start complaining when they ban actual newspapers like the Telegraph or something.
Original post by Drewski
And they will remain so, but in the real world - outside of the parroting echo chamber of dullard, single IQ student politics - everybody ignores the **** out of them and they have no effect on the world.

That's why it's not worrying: they can't do anything.

Exactly

Original post by paul514
Pretty much

Please remind me, is this ban over their:

support for the apartheid regime in South Africa

opposition to the miners' strike

response to the Hillsborough tragedy

featuring pictures of semi-naked women

attitude to foreigners

It is awfully difficult to keep track of all these bans.

THIS YEAR PLEASE SUPPORT THE CRISIS AT CHRISTMAS FUND FOR DESTITUTE NEWSPAPER PROPRIETORS
Remember a press baron is for life, not just for Christmas.
Original post by douglas merritte
The SU are saying that the views of Daily Mail, Sun and Daily Express are hate-speech. Pretty strong.

So, they haven't merely stopped the campus shop from stocking these papers, they have blanket-judged readers of those papers too. Quite intolerant. Typically "progressive" behaviour to want to shut down and demonise those with different views.

I like to read The Sun sometimes. Doesn't make me a racist, a sexist, or any other label. It just makes me more open-minded than someone who doesn't.

They do promote it though.
They can stock what they like.
They arent stopping you reading it.
lol@ more open minded.
Original post by douglas merritte
The SU are saying that the views of Daily Mail, Sun and Daily Express are hate-speech. Pretty strong.

So, they haven't merely stopped the campus shop from stocking these papers, they have blanket-judged readers of those papers too. Quite intolerant. Typically "progressive" behaviour to want to shut down and demonise those with different views.

I like to read The Sun sometimes. Doesn't make me a racist, a sexist, or any other label. It just makes me more open-minded than someone who doesn't.

The world is not a safe space, people shouldn't need to delicately tip toe around to avoid judging the political sensitivities of others. As for being "shut down", anyone so weak minded that they chose to self-censor after being called something they don't like really need to seek professional counselling to overcome their self-esteem issues.
Original post by SomeGuyHere
The university of Plymouth has just banned three right wing newspapers from being sold. Now well I can’t defend those papers (I honestly dislike them) I do think this is a perfect example of why universities, or more specifically their “unions” are becoming jokes.

Freedom of the press is a fundamental part of democracy. If you disagree with a viewpoint you convince others that you are correct you don’t ban them from reading things you don’t agree with.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/plymouth-students-vote-to-ban-hate-filled-tabloids/story-29947153-detail/story.html

This is a worrying trend and Plymouth seems to be getting worse… as do a large number of universities.

Seems a bit extreme to say the least. Yes, those newspapers are pathetic but most people with common sense understand that.

There's no need to go banning them. Just leave them in the campus shop, and those who want to buy them can and those who don't can just laugh at the headlines.
Original post by Drewski
And they will remain so, but in the real world - outside of the parroting echo chamber of dullard, single IQ student politics - everybody ignores the **** out of them and they have no effect on the world.

That's why it's not worrying: they can't do anything.

Because you're ignoring the **** out of them, aren't you?

If these students are the hopeless nonentities you claim them to be why do you feel the need to make numerous comments about them on a forum? 😉
Original post by Lh030396
Because you're ignoring the **** out of them, aren't you?

If these students are the hopeless nonentities you claim them to be why do you feel the need to make numerous comments about them on a forum? 😉

I am, yes.
I'm having nothing to do with the SUs in question. I'm not directing any comments towards them. I'm not engaging with them in any way.

I am, however, communicating to others that while numpties like this exist on campus, they don't do anything in the real world.

Informing other people who might be worried about what effect this may have that it will have little to no effect whatsoever is not a waste of time. Alas, the same cannot be said of the sarcasm you're attempting to employ.
Original post by Drewski
I am, yes.
I'm having nothing to do with the SUs in question. I'm not directing any comments towards them. I'm not engaging with them in any way.

I am, however, communicating to others that while numpties like this exist on campus, they don't do anything in the real world.

Informing other people who might be worried about what effect this may have that it will have little to no effect whatsoever is not a waste of time. Alas, the same cannot be said of the sarcasm you're attempting to employ.

Dealing with them indirectly on an internet forum isn't ignoring them. If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't feel the need to comment about them.

Oh, and your other argument is weak. The vast majority of people on here KNOW that these students have no power whatsoever. I hardly think they require YOU to state the obvious...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending