The Student Room Group

What was the last film you watched Mk. III

Scroll to see replies

Creed - 8.5/10

Second time seeing it, great film, as someone who's only seen the first Rocky film and thought it was good but not amazing I thought this was an excellent film.
Three weeks ago: Office Christmas party.

Quite funny, the film made my day on that evening in the cinema. 7/10

Would love to watch it next christmas on DVD again. :smile:
Gladiator

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED
Rogue One - 9/10

Probably my favourite Star Wars movie (Apart from Empire) The third act is absolutely the best thing about this movie. I just wish there was a bit more character development :smile:

However, I can't wait for it to come out on DVD and Blu-ray
Dangal (bollywood) - 9/10, Passengers - 8/10, Edge of Seventeen - 8/10
10 Cloverfield Lane: 8/10 I hate horror films normally and I guess this technically isn't one, but I really enjoyed it even though I don't like the genre so an 8 for me.

Man Up: 7/10 it was funny enough and not too cheesy.
Assassin's Creed - 4/10
Yet another disappointing video game-film adaptation.
Keeping Up With The Joneses - 3/10

Only watched this film because I wanted something light to put on that I didn't need to pay that much attention to and because Gal Gadot was in it, but not even she could save this film. In fact she was pretty poor in it, but mostly down to the horrible writing and story.
The films are arranged from the latest to oldest.
Kodi (tamil movie) - 7/10
Translation : Flag

Aashiqui 2 (bollywood movie) - 9/10
Translation : Love 2

The transporter: refuelled - 2/10
I didn't like it that much. Ugh, hated it almost.
(edited 7 years ago)
Let the Right One In: 8/10 (Swedish original). Great film.
Watched one of my favourite movies of all time on Netflix yesterday. But I can't talk about it. The first rule of it is that I don't talk about it!
Sing Street - 8/10
Whiplash - 7/10, the performances were really good, but the problem was with the characters, I disliked every single one of them, the teacher was an ******* and the drummer was a dick for

Spoiler

and the story was a bit too predictable, however the score was amazing especially the end scene, I'll be listening to it a number of times. The acting was good also and I found it kinda funny at the start because of the teachers cursing, I just wish there was more substance.
The girl with all the gifts.

Watched it because I generally really like the zombie genre. I thought it was a good take on it, and while there were some things that seemed a bit silly...but then again with zombies you kind of have to suspend your belief a little bit because in most zombie genres they're not logical. It was overall enjoyable. 6.5/10 for me.
Original post by NotNotBatman
but the problem was with the characters, I disliked every single one of them, the teacher was an ******* and the drummer

I think that is absolutely intentional, it's a film about ruthlessly ambitious personalities in a ruthlessly competitive environment. At no point watching Whiplash did I feel I was at all being invited to like or even sympathise with the leads, and I feel it was very well handled in this regard.
I'd agree that it was intentional, but I find it hard to enjoy a film with no characters that are likeable unless there is an underlying reason for it and that's what they tried to go for in Whiplash, because the teacher gave a speech about being harsh on his students, when he was in the jazz club; they were trying to make the audience sympathise with a teacher who seems very aggressive, but has his students in his best interests, but it seemed forced to me.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I'd agree that it was intentional, but I find it hard to enjoy a film with no characters that are likeable unless there is an underlying reason for it and that's what they tried to go for in Whiplash, because the teacher gave a speech about being harsh on his students, when he was in the jazz club; they were trying to make the audience sympathise with a teacher who seems very aggressive, but has his students in his best interests, but it seemed forced to me.

Again, I didn't interpret that speech as an attempt to generate sympathy, but rather another illustration of how warped the perception of that character is....

And, as we find out later in the film, he was completely lying to gain Teller's character's trust anyway.

With that said, if you feel you need a character you can sympathise with or root for in a movie to enjoy it, then that's fair enough. I personally find it a really interesting angle if it's executed properly and can result in some of my favourite books and films. Nightcrawler is another excellent recent example of a film with a protagonist who has almost zero likeable qualities beyond raw ambition, and a similarly unlikeable supporting cast (with a single exception).
I actually agree with that, now that I think about it.
I watched Nightcrawler again about a week ago. Excellent film

But yeah Whiplash is my 2nd favourite film. Love it. However I can understand the thing about wanting a likeable character, it's the same reason I don't like Ferris Buellers Day Off. I think that is a film where you definitely should have a likeable main character but I couldn't stand Ferris
Assasins Creed, 7.5/10.
Films adapted from games are often dodgy in my opinion. Assasins Creed was actually better than expected.
Micheal Fassbender was really good (and hOt), he portrayed his characters anger really well.
Action was better than the stroy, which wasn't explained all that well and left the audience a bit confused especially if you hadn't played the game.

Quick Reply

Latest