The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think your average wage is a little high unless you arent talking about wage after graduating? I earn less than that average and if it wasnt for living on my own could live quite comfortably. I think with more money you just end up increasing outgoings and your lifestyle to still have little left!
Depends entirely on where you live.

Outside of London, probably at least 350 pounds a week (after tax etc). Inside London, at least 500.
Reply 3
Depends: how much do you spend a week on rent, food, going out, clothes, transport (your own vehicle or public transport)..also, where do you shop?

As the above poster said, it depends where you live
Reply 4
£476 p/w is the average? I think you're a little off there, tbh. I'm assuming that's net; is it inclusive of pension deductions?

Put it this way; I'm earning a little bit less than that and, living at home, I'd say I'm living "ok" - certainly not particularly well. And as for moving out? I think the fact I need to go half way with a mate, on a very cheap house - "in need of modernisation"! - says it all, really.

bornfishy.
Reply 5
bornfishy
£476 p/w is the average? I think you're a little off there, tbh. I'm assuming that's net; is it inclusive of pension deductions?

Put it this way; I'm earning a little bit less than that and, living at home, I'd say I'm living "ok" - certainly not particularly well. And as for moving out? I think the fact I need to go half way with a mate, on a very cheap house - "in need of modernisation"! - says it all, really.

bornfishy.

I think it does depend on the individual. And it is also very true that when your salary increases so do your tastes! Some people are good at making a little go a long way, whilst others... well it does not matter how much they earn they will burn through it!
Reply 6
Use this website: http://www.pru.co.uk/home/calculator/income_tax/

And then take into consideration:
- Mortgage
- TV License
- Water Rates
- Electric Bill
- Council Tax
- Gas
- Shopping

Maybe:
- Internet Bill
- Sky
- Car and car insurance
- Petrol
- House insurance

Bloody ell, moving out is very difficult.
Where I live (Cornwall- ridiculous prices for a nice house) a lot of young people buying new houses are having their parents pay a large amount of money to help out.

No other way to get on the housing market.
ub3r
And then take into consideration:
- Mortgage
You need a mortgage instead of renting for a 'comfortable living'?
476 would be fine for an adult male, single

Its when you have a family that it will really start to hurt.

Also mortages are a very big factor - so it depends a lot on where and what you live in.
Reply 10
Chassez
You need a mortgage instead of renting for a 'comfortable living'?

Mortgage or rent then. Theres not much difference.
Reply 11
ub3r
Mortgage or rent then. Theres not much difference.

You think? Go to www.foxtons.co.uk and look at how much renting a place vs mortgaging one of the same quality would be. As a rough rule of thumb you'd be paying £250/wk rent or £350/wk interest repayments for the same place in London, the latter requiring a hefty deposit, stamp duty etc. Mortgage and rent only cost the same if you sublet out rooms in your place and this is after having paid the deposit (normally like £30k on a £300k place), stamp duty (another £9k) etc.
But you can't compare buying to renting on price alone. You have to look at other factors. For example;

When buying, you own the property; you don't simply live there. You have legal liability for the property; it is counted as one of your assets and you can use it as security. It also means that should the value of the property increase, your mortgage payments remain the same. Consequently, you begin to make money on it.

Renting a place is exactly that; you don't own any rights to the property itself and have no guarantee that you are able to live there as long as you like. Yes, it's easier to move but none of the money you spend on the property pays towards buying the property itself. Rent can also be volatile; should the value of the property increase, the landlord can easily up the rent.

Maybe I'm being a little biased here, but I just think renting is simply money down the drain. I understand house prices are ridiculous at the moment but I would recommend anyone that can, SHOULD get on the property ladder as soon as possible.
Reply 13
The Regend
But you can't compare buying to renting on price alone. You have to look at other factors. For example;

When buying, you own the property; you don't simply live there. You have legal liability for the property; it is counted as one of your assets and you can use it as security. It also means that should the value of the property increase, your mortgage payments remain the same. Consequently, you begin to make money on it.

Renting a place is exactly that; you don't own any rights to the property itself and have no guarantee that you are able to live there as long as you like. Yes, it's easier to move but none of the money you spend on the property pays towards buying the property itself. Rent can also be volatile; should the value of the property increase, the landlord can easily up the rent.

Maybe I'm being a little biased here, but I just think renting is simply money down the drain. I understand house prices are ridiculous at the moment but I would recommend anyone that can, SHOULD get on the property ladder as soon as possible.

- The amount you spend on interest repayments is much more than what you pay in rent, for the same property. Both rent and interest repayments are the same concept of money down the drain.
- A mortgage ties you down to the same place, it is a proper hassle moving, whereas with renting you're free to change cities etc very easily.
- What goes up may easily come down, has been heavily in the press recently about how overvalued London property prices are and I wouldn't be surprised if next year the price starts falling.

For the record I have a mortgage, because I can easily afford one so may as well, but it's by no means necessary for a "comfortable living" - there's 30yo bankers where I work who've always rented nice places and never bothered with mortgages.
mayavara
- The amount you spend on interest repayments is much more than what you pay in rent, for the same property. Both rent and interest repayments are the same concept of money down the drain.
- A mortgage ties you down to the same place, it is a proper hassle moving, whereas with renting you're free to change cities etc very easily.
- What goes up may easily come down, has been heavily in the press recently about how overvalued London property prices are and I wouldn't be surprised if next year the price starts falling.

For the record I have a mortgage, because I can easily afford one so may as well, but it's by no means necessary for a "comfortable living" - there's 30yo bankers where I work who've always rented nice places and never bothered with mortgages.

Agreed.

When I have a family, I will want to own my own place. But in my 20s, I'll be much happier renting a nice place than paying a mortgage on an ex-council flat in zone 6. It's too much hassle, and I don't understand why so many people are in a hurry to buy a house as soon as they've graduated uni.
Most can mortages also vary with interest rates tho...

Also renting has advatages - such as not having to pay for things that break down - so OWNING a hosue can bring with it laods of extra hassle and costs.
mayavara

I didn't say that a mortgage was necessary for a comfortable living. What I was saying that one of the advantages of your own property is that it is counted as an asset. Granted, interest repayments do mount up but so do rent prices. Owning a £200k house means exactly that; £200k is added to your net worth.

Yes, owning a place is not right for everyone but those that can afford to do so, like in your example, generally do because it works out worthwhile in the long run.
Reply 17
The Regend
What I was saying that one of the advantages of your own property is that it is counted as an asset. Granted, interest repayments do mount up but so do rent prices. Owning a £200k house means exactly that; £200k is added to your net worth.
True, but..what's the big deal about having an 'asset' as opposed to saving that much up in the bank instead? Ooh look ladies this house is £200k of my net worth :-p Also I forgot, if you fail to keep up your mortgage repayments your asset could be repossessed - and it's easier than it sounds, if you get fired / forced to leave work and can't get another job in the next 2-3 months you could be in some serious trouble.

Latest

Trending

Trending