The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

its the fact that i am being personally insulted by some

Don't be :smile: It's better you get any sort of stereotypes that everyone has when they start out out of your system before you apply...if you stick around these forums they will help you no end :smile:
Reply 41
AEH
Everyone who has ever applied to medicine is arrogant and stupid.

I am arrogant, but I'm not stupid:p:
sophiakhanom
thankyou, thats exactly wht im trying to say!

and AEH whoever you are claiming that im arrogant and stupid, id much rather go to a uni other than imperial/ucl. its just that i live in london and im gonna have to commute for personal reasons. as there are only 5 med schools in london and i only have 4 choices, i have to make the choice between ucl/imperial. im not dying to go to either because their 'superior', i was just wanting some advice on which is less competitive.

you posted a message calling medical schools you're thinking of applying to as "superior" and others (which a lot of us in this thread already attend) as "normal". Every one of the medical schools in London is highly competitive, maybe they each look for slightly different things in an ideal candidate, but they're all going to be competitive so you should pick which you'd rather go to and not which you'd imagine to be easier to get into. They're all very different, when you go to open days, you'll know which you can picture yourself at.
Reply 43
AEH
That's the point, some aren't easier than others. Really, they aren't. Most of the time playing to the odds and maximising your chances in medicine are good things but as far as this goes, you have to accept that what you are doing is, by its very nature, arrogant. You are looking at the odds, which sit against you, and thinking you can beat them. And, partially by extension, what you are doing is difficult and stupid and will sooner or later bring you to some grief.

but here you are stating that looking at the odds is arrogant and stupid, not applying to med school
Reply 44
oxygenbubbles
you posted a message calling medical schools you're thinking of applying to as "superior" and others (which a lot of us in this thread already attend) as "normal". Every one of the medical schools in London is highly competitive, maybe they each look for slightly different things in an ideal candidate, but they're all going to be competitive so you should pick which you'd rather go to and not which you'd imagine to be easier to get into. They're all very different, when you go to open days, you'll know which you can picture yourself at.

if you read my posts you would realise that i am applying to every single medical school in london except one (as i only have 4 choices). therefore i have to eliminate either imperial or ucl because i thought (past tense) they were harder to get into.
Reply 45
No sorry, applying to medicine as an act is arrogant. Believing you can help people and cure illnesses is arrogant because sooner or later you will find the limit of your ability and fail, and in the process hurt people through what you're doing. This isn't aimed at you in particular, this is just plain old how it works.
sophiakhanom
if you read my posts you would realise that i am applying to every single medical school in london except one (as i only have 4 choices). therefore i have to eliminate either imperial or ucl because i thought (past tense) they were harder to get into.

Drop the attitude. I had read your posts and I did know that you were doing so.
Reply 47
oxygenbubbles,

i only presumed u hadnt read my posts because u said

you posted a message calling medical schools you're thinking of applying to as "superior"

which implies i am applying to more than 1 'superior' med school, when i clearly said either imperial or ucl
sophiakhanom
oxygenbubbles,

i only presumed because u said

you posted a message calling medical schools you're thinking of applying to as "superior"

which implies i am applying to more than 1 when i clearly said either imperial or ucl

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here. :p: You should just be careful when you're posting on a forum where people go to every medical school mentionable suggesting some are "superior" to others. Anyway, have you been to look at either Imperial or UCL? I'm not sure whether you already know or not, but you said earlier that Imperial had a 6 year course, which is just because a BSc is compulsory (BSc is also optional at the other London unis so they can be made into a 6 year course).
Reply 49
oxygenbubbles
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here. :p: You should just be careful when you're posting on a forum where people go to every medical school mentionable suggesting some are "superior" to others. Anyway, have you been to look at either Imperial or UCL? I'm not sure whether you already know or not, but you said earlier that Imperial had a 6 year course, which is just because a BSc is compulsory (BSc is also optional at the other London unis so they can be made into a 6 year course).

im going to imperial tommorow for a course but i haven't been to UCL. obviously i prob need to take a look at both before i make my decision.

i do know about the bsc and that u can do it at all unis. but i thought that the fact that it was compulsory at those unis meant something (but it obviously doesnt)
Reply 50
AEH
No sorry, applying to medicine as an act is arrogant. Believing you can help people and cure illnesses is arrogant because sooner or later you will find the limit of your ability and fail, and in the process hurt people through what you're doing. This isn't aimed at you in particular, this is just plain old how it works.

medics dont claim to 'cure' people but how cn u say they dont help people?
have u never been to the doctors?
sophiakhanom
have u never been to the doctors?

I get exactly what he means. Think about it or live a little. Eventually you'll get what he means.
Reply 52
sophiakhanom
i would say oxbridge, ucl and imperial are different to the rest because they come top of most med school league tables, require the BMAT and are the most competitive. also theyre courses are 6 years.

This post seems to have caused a lot of uproar (spec amongst those who attend other med school)
ok i admit this post was stupid, i was just looking for evidence to back up my claim that they were harder to get into. but By the sounds of things on this forum their probably not (as i know ur experieced so i trust ur judement). So thankyou for enlightenin me.

but i have been grossly misunderstood by some who claim i thin im superior by stating what i did (above) and by also stating i am applying imperial/ucl. i would much rather go to any of the other london unis im applying to (for social reasons) but i have to apply to one of these because im commuting from london, not because i believe i/ they are superior
What do you mean that you prefer the other London schools for "social reasons"?
Don't worry about it sophia, now you know better :smile: Yeah take a look at UCL, don't forget your gut feeling is usually the best thing to go for :wink:

I think Ant is trying to say that doctors are just humans at the end of the day, medicine is an inexact science etc etc. I think it was Voltare that said, Medicine is amusing the patient whilst nature takes its course or something like that.
Reply 55
digitalis
I think it was Voltare that said, Medicine is amusing the patient whilst nature takes its course or something like that.

I think it was Dr Cox that said "Everything we do here everything is a stall, we’re just trying to keep the game going"
Reply 56
Spencer Wells
What do you mean that you prefer the other London schools for "social reasons"?

ur trying to get me in more trouble.

again prob a huge misconception, but i thought the people applying there would be less boffiny so i would get on better with them
Reply 57
go on slap me
Reply 58
sophiakhanom
but dont the people that apply to ox/camb have a much higher academic standard? which means it would be difficult or an average candidate to get in.

Birmingham med school has the strictest academic requirements.
Doesn't it?

I can't remember if they require an aptitude test, but the 5 a*'s bit...
As other people have suggested, I would advise that you go and look at the two campuses (ideally in term time, which starts on the 24th of September at UCL, and early October at Imperial). Go to the student unions, chat to people, get a feel for the places. Apply to the one that you feel would suit you the best, not to the one that you think is earsier to get in to.

If you want to see how active we are socially, come to UCL's Huntley Street bar any evening of the week beginning the 24th, or this Monday or Friday to the Royal Free bar in the Royal Free Hospital for the 3rd year parties.

Latest

Trending

Trending