The Student Room Group

Fitness Thread (MILITARY WANNABES ONLY)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think some of the scores posted on here are excellent. You are joining the military and you should be fit for duty. The scores are what i would expect out of a prepared, young and healthy individual.

Seeing as some of you appear to have gone through some sort of basic training, I would have expected them to have said that the fitter you are the easier basic training can be. Being knackered is one less thing you have to worry about.

or is it true all when the old sweats bang on about the "Playstation Generation"? I bet they even give you trainers now a days.
Reply 21
jude1388

Have come to a bit of a grinding halt but am trying interval training to see if i can get my 1.5 mile run lower, i hear it gets results! Anyone got any experience with this??

I seem to recall this doing me some benefit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
Reply 22
Blasted
The scores are what i would expect out of a prepared, young and healthy individual.

or is it true all when the old sweats bang on about the "Playstation Generation"? I bet they even give you trainers now a days.

So Blasted, who are you then??
Reply 23
Someone who should know better and not bite. But I have been in and come out, so yes I do have a clue about what goes off. I'm now being paid exceptionally well to do the university bit I didnt do when I was younger. Its worked out well for me though and I dont regret my time at all. In fact I like seeing younger people wanting to join up, it makes a refreshing change from the students I seem to come across. Some of the pre conceptions make me wince a little though. Take what the AFCO says with a pinch of salt.
Reply 24
NCO or Officer?
Reply 25
Several years non-commmisioned in engineering before going to cranwell for a career change. Not getting the position I wanted and being to old to retry, I then left and was snapped up by a civilian engineering company. i managed to get in the RAF in less than a month and I managed to get out in less than a month. Im the only one that I know of.

So to keep it on topic...

The fitter you are the better, and cramming in a few sessions in the last month will not cut the mustard. How i used to laugh when the porky kids were carted of for remedial fitness training in an evening whilst we got on with preparing our kit for the next inspection.
Reply 26
Blasted
Several years non-commmisioned in engineering before going to cranwell for a career change. Not getting the position I wanted and being to old to retry, I then left and was snapped up by a civilian engineering company. i managed to get in the RAF in less than a month and I managed to get out in less than a month. Im the only one that I know of.

So to keep it on topic...

The fitter you are the better, and cramming in a few sessions in the last month will not cut the mustard. How i used to laugh when the porky kids were carted of for remedial fitness training in an evening whilst we got on with preparing our kit for the next inspection.

No offence intend but with that keen team spirit you have I'm not suprised you got knocked back at OASC
Reply 27
You got in in less than a month! :eek:

Blimey. Large waves of jealousy coming your way!
Reply 28
Isis07
No offence intend but with that keen team spirit you have I'm not suprised you got knocked back at OASC

It wasnt quite like that. I had got to a point where a descision had to be made, and one which if you do a number of years may well have to face yourself.

The RAF gave me what I lacked and allowed me to build upon my strengths. However I felt that as I was unable to pursue the career path I wanted, my dedication to a different field would be sub standard and ultimatly not worth working towards.

I decided to leave and didnt have to much difficulty securing a civvy position. I had a letter from an employer confiring a position for me and my pvr was waived through. Im sure if you take the time to read the threads on Pprune you will be well aware of the current morale issues and the reasons why people are leaving in droves.

As for getting in. I was very lucky to grab a late spot, ace the aptitude tests and the AFCO spotting that if left to think it over for a long time I probably would have not joined up. Im glad I did though.

As for it being a career for life, there is no such thing nowdays, civvy or military. But dont say that at cranwell.:wink:
Reply 29
I'm a potential infantry officer and I really don't see any problem with times like 8:47 or 9:30 for the 1.5 mile run - 10:30 is the absolute minimum for army officers and the infantry or RAC look for more like 9:00. The easiest way to get the distance right is to do 5.75 laps of a running track and just time it, then there's no argument about hills or poor surface or whatever.
Reply 30
Isis07
I'm glad I'm not the only one - either some people have very inaccurate times/distances for this or half of the student rooms users should be in competitive runs

dsch
I'm a potential infantry officer and I really don't see any problem with times like 8:47 or 9:30 for the 1.5 mile run - 10:30 is the absolute minimum for army officers and the infantry or RAC look for more like 9:00. The easiest way to get the distance right is to do 5.75 laps of a running track and just time it, then there's no argument about hills or poor surface or whatever.

I know I’m going to come across as a smart-@rse here but for the people who don’t believe running times less than 10 minutes exist:

For the accuracy of my time, I cleverly used a stopwatch function on a treadmill, along with the distance metre which was pre-set to mph, instead of kph. I assume this is accurate. :smile:

I’d just like to say I agree with dsch on this one. Most of my friends run faster than me, and most of them are going into the military in one form or another. I’m quite a slim guy, and I’ve always found running to be something I’m good at, and since wanting to join the military I’ve put a huge effort into my fitness.

QM :smile:
Reply 31
dsch

5.75??? thats 2300 metres.

1609m in a mile * 1.5 = 2413m (round it to 2400m) / 400 = 6 laps fully. no wonder people are getting low times lol
Reply 32
I'm not completely denying some of your times, but you're saying you're doing 6 minute miles. Thats insane.
Reply 33
I can easily believe six minute miles ... personally achieving six minute miles is another matter!
Reply 34
Theo1977
I can easily believe six minute miles ... personally achieving six minute miles is another matter!

indeed. actual time will prevail when they're stuck on that circuit being timed by a pti though. I'd rather be totally honest with myself on these things as its part of my persona as well as it gives me something to work on :smile:
Jude- Interval training will definitely help your times. I've taken my 1.5mile from 12mins to 8.57!! (at TA TAFS wkend) and most of the improvements have been done in the past couple of months, though I have been gradually building up my training for about 9 months. Gone from strugglin to run for a bus to beating a lot of guys and I'm old too! Sorry, can you tell i'm dead chuffed!

To improve running times you only need 3 running sessions a week.

1: Tempo run- 15-20mins, at a speed where you can only just speak. Start doing 15min sessions, then increase time, then go back down to 15mins but running a little faster. Easiest on treadmill.

2: Interval run- Shuttle between a recovery/gentle jog speed and a FAST run. Jog for 1min, run for 1min. Aim to do this for at least 15mins. As you improve, increase the duration of run/jog times (and, therefore, your overall running time). You can also do this session with shorter sprint bursts, keep these to approx 30secs though.

3: Long slow distance run- go outside and run for at least an hour- don't aim for speed, this session is all about endurance. You should be breathing fairly comfortably.

Hope this helps and inspires! If I can do it...
Feel free to message me for more help.
Oh, last words of wisdom- find a running partner, preferably someone competitive! Good luck
Reply 36
That's the sort of stuff I've been doing (well, was doing!). It does work. I'm naturally a sprinter so struggle with endurance more than anything. I can quite happily go outside and run 1.5 miles in 9.30 (and that includes Welsh hills). When I first started running my 1.5 mile was something ridiculous in 18mins. Taken me some serious training and adrenanline to get it down and now it's stayed down. I also find it harder to clock a good time on a treadmill - feels like I'm running a hell of a lot faster than when i do outside at the same speed :s-smilie:
Reply 37
Wow thanks very much for that ginger_monkey! You've certainly made me feel its actually possible to improve on my time, well done on getting your time so low also, it's amazing!!! :smile:
Are you naturally a runner or was it just a lot of hard work! Wondering if i can use the excuse "i don't have a runners build" anymore!!!:p:
Reply 38
Quiet_Mason
I know I’m going to come across as a smart-@rse here but for the people who don’t believe running times less than 10 minutes exist:

For the accuracy of my time, I cleverly used a stopwatch function on a treadmill, along with the distance metre which was pre-set to mph, instead of kph. I assume this is accurate. :smile:

QM :smile:

QM I have no idea about the accuracy or otherwise of treadmills, but I'll believe for the sake of arguement. I believe in under 10 min times I just think it's odd so many ppl have posted such quick times; that might be because only the people who are happy with their times have posted them - but thats not really the point of the thread.

What I will say is running outside is totally different to treadmill running so you need to get outside and run (timing yourself if you like). They won't let you do your mile and a half at Cranwell on a treadmill.

Personally I'm mixing up my training in the vain hope that if I make it hard for myself now the mile and a half at Cranwell should feel easier.
Reply 39
I have only been running on a treadmill at the moment but i think its good to start on a treadmill as I find it easier, its also good to boost confidence and get the fitness up initially (and my knees hurt runing on the roads). IOT is probably a fair way off for some of us so i think getting your fitness up on a treadmill is probably good as it is only preparation for the bleep test at OASC at this stage. I'm sure if people were to pass OASC their training regime would change dramatically to work towards the rediculous amounts of exercise at IOT that we hear about.
Also Isis how do you find it so odd that lots of people are posting such quick times?? After all, most of the people on here are training hard to give it there best shot , and good on 'em if they're getting under 10, i shall live in hope!

Quick Reply

Latest