The Student Room Group

Fitness Thread (MILITARY WANNABES ONLY)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Original post by teasin_tina
Really? That's absurd! I'm trying my hardest to avoid Capita, they sound like a nightmare! If I get an OASC date before June I won't need to redo the medical as I'm still in date from last year.

Who are you waiting for an answer from, the AFCO or OASC? Have you been to OASC? If the Capita doctor is telling you to appeal it then you definitely should, they sound like they normally fail people rather than advise to appeal so that's got to be good news.

Really sorry to hear that but hope they pull their finger out soon!

I haven't been to OASC- the medicals are done beforehand now. My understanding from speaking to the AFCO is that it is pending a decision from Capita (I'm not sure whether my case has been passed up the chain to Cranwell or not, and nobody can tell me anyway). I can't appeal until I get a firm 'no.' I was also told that Capita have the final say and not Cranwell, though this might have been a mistake.

I'm not blaming Capita (though the delays are frustrating)- the fact is that it may be the case that my previous medical history would have ruled me out anyway. Although when I filled in my initial medical form and submitted it to Cranwell, it wasn't a problem and my application was allowed to progress. I might be wrong, but I get the impression that in the past 'grey areas' were looked at more benevolently by Cranwell and that makes me think that, had I applied earlier, I might have had a better outcome.

I am pushing the age limit for my chosen branch; I have no illusions that I would necessarily sail through OASC (though I'd like the chance to try!) and I can accept that it's not unlikely I won't be successful in my chosen branch. What really gets me down though is the thought that I might not even get to try out again in the future- if I failed this time round I was considering the Reserves instead. Without wanting to sound too bitter and petulant, there are some clearly unfit, unhealthy reservists at my workplace, and it does annoy me to think that they are deemed fit to serve whereas I (likely) will not be. I know everyone who is rejected for a medical reason thinks it unfair, but mine would really be a borderline case. I'm sure there are good reasons to reject me, but I really don't think this should be one of them :-)

Trying to think about it positively- I have other ambitions to fulfil and this isn't the be-all-and-end-all. I am also glad that the medical problem which is delaying/potentially will halt my application is very much in the past and my current physical activities are conclusive proof of that- good health is something to be thankful for. Obviously I will do everything I can in terms of putting forward an appeal, but if the final outcome is a 'no' I'll try not to dwell on it (at least not for too long!) I have to admit though, sometimes it is incredibly demoralising!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1221
Anyone here joining the navy?
Just wondering how strict they are with press-up form at the PRNC, and if you get much rest between the different excercises?
Original post by c_al
Anyone here joining the navy?
Just wondering how strict they are with press-up form at the PRNC, and if you get much rest between the different excercises?

Not joining the navy myself, had my RAF fitness test last night and i'm pretty sure the tests are very similar.

They are fairly strict with form but make you do one of each first to make sure you understand. The pressups are more tricep pushups than standard ones. Arms have to be level with shoulders.

With the situps, the instructor holds your ankles in place to stop feet from moving. Hands on temple and elbows touch top of knees on each situp, top shoulders on mat on return.

Obviously the Navy test may be different but will give you an idea of what happens.
Sex: Male
1.5 Mile Time: 9.45
Bleep Test Level: 6.4 (going to work on this everyday now)
Sit Ups 1 Min: 35
Press Ups 1 Min: 38
(edited 10 years ago)
So Capita have finally sorted their life out and my application is on the move :biggrin: So I need to get back on the fitness proper. I can now do the required 21 press ups without dying, but not much more, so I'm going to keep working on that!
Is there a swim if you want to join the army ? I've never heard of it before but came across something yesterday that mentioned a 20m swim.If there is a swim ,is it timed ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGeneral95
Is there a swim if you want to join the army ? I've never heard of it before but came across something yesterday that mentioned a 20m swim.If there is a swim ,is it timed ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's more a 'prove that you can' thing.
Original post by TheGeneral95

Posted from TSR Mobile

The raf one is 50m done in overalls and to be honest it's easy! You don't get timed. But to be honest with you, your got other things to worry about! Battle PT etc for instance, the 20m is nothing apart from people who genuinely cannot swim

Posted from TSR Mobile
Army one in overalls ? Is it any stroke ?
Thanks in advance, ain't swam in years so I am worried.
If you can swim 50m normally with no problem you should be fine! And I don't know about the overalls be I should imagine it's about the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's usually 50m followed by 2 minutes of treading water, followed by getting yourself out of the pool not using the steps.
Swim test in RAF???
Please tell me you are joking?
I can't swim, never could :frown:
Don't remember anyone ever mentioned it in the RAF website, or in AFCO..?
Original post by She_wolf
Swim test in RAF???
Please tell me you are joking?
I can't swim, never could :frown:
Don't remember anyone ever mentioned it in the RAF website, or in AFCO..?

Then learn.
1- it's a useful skill to have
2- without it certain adventure training activities are off limits to you
3- it's good for fitness.

No, it's not a joke.
Believe me I tried.
Even since I was a kid... But never was a lover of water.
In the end I could do everything but just swim.
I can dive off the board or deep dive, swim underwater, tread water on my back, but no swimming.

Is it really one of the mandatory RAF tests? Because if it is I'm doomed.
Original post by She_wolf
Believe me I tried.
Even since I was a kid... But never was a lover of water.
In the end I could do everything but just swim.
I can dive off the board or deep dive, swim underwater, tread water on my back, but no swimming.

Is it really one of the mandatory RAF tests? Because if it is I'm doomed.

The only consequence of failing the swimming test is that you won't be able to take part in the water-based activities during adventure training (kayaking etc.)
Original post by ryan9900
The only consequence of failing the swimming test is that you won't be able to take part in the water-based activities during adventure training (kayaking etc.)

Lads that failed it on my intake where still allowed to participate because the water you do canoing\kayaking in you can actually stand up in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhys_Mayes
Lads that failed it on my intake where still allowed to participate because the water you do canoing\kayaking in you can actually stand up in

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even more reason not be too bothered about it then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ryan9900
Even more reason not be too bothered about it then!

Thanks guys, not really that bothered about water sports, as don't like water :smile:
But really glad that it isn't mandatory!
Well it is for trades such as air crew and PTIs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it is for trades such as air crew and PTIs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good thing then that I'm not one of them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest