The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Renacata
This is the Durham forum - try asking in the relevant university or subject forums :smile:

Ooops sorry, i thought its a general thread
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by smcc
Ohh right thanks for that :smile:

I have A Level chem though, so hopefully I'll be able to. I take it there are some mathematical modelling type modules in years 3 (maybe 2)?

If you're studying biology after 1st year you won't be able to do any maths as in 2nd and 3rd years you have to just do Biology modules. If you really want to do maths beyond 1st year you'd be better off applying for Natural Sciences or seeing if you can swap to it if you've already applied...
Reply 3822
Hmm that's a bit of a shame. I think I'd probably rather do the Natural Sciences course, but I don't have the grades so I think it's out of the question to do ask to transfer course. Is there any chance of transferring to NatSci after the first year if you do well in the exams, i.e get a first.
Original post by smcc
Hmm that's a bit of a shame. I think I'd probably rather do the Natural Sciences course, but I don't have the grades so I think it's out of the question to do ask to transfer course. Is there any chance of transferring to NatSci after the first year if you do well in the exams, i.e get a first.

People have transferred before, but I'm not sure if their A-Level grades were taken into account. Before the A* was a requirement it's more likely that they would have had the AAA requirements anyway, I guess.

If there are more people wanting to transfer than there are spaces, you might have to create a mini-application form (short statement, 1st year marks, A-Level and gcse grades) and then they will select the top people (that's how it works for other subjects' transfers, anyway).

Also have you done further maths? You need FM AS to take the 'core maths' double module in year 1, which is a prerequisite for year 2 and year 3 maths modules.

If you haven't done FM, you can still take some first year maths modules, you just won't be able to do any maths in later years.
Reply 3824
Ah thanks for clearing it up.

Seems like a pretty restrictive way of doing things, I didn't do FM, but I got an A* at A level Maths and I'd be really keen on doing it, you'd have thought that they would be really encouraging for people to study maths all the way through..
Original post by smcc
Ah thanks for clearing it up.

Seems like a pretty restrictive way of doing things, I didn't do FM, but I got an A* at A level Maths and I'd be really keen on doing it, you'd have thought that they would be really encouraging for people to study maths all the way through..

What do you mean by "study maths all the way through"? I don't quite understand, sorry!

If you have an A* then you could probably ask them if they'll make an exception, especially if you weren't able to take FM at school. However it's not really worth it if you are studying biology, you may as well take the two single maths modules as you can't do any level 2 or level 3 modules.

If you have an A* then surely you must be very close to meeting the natural sciences requirements?
Reply 3826
Sorry, I mean study some sort of maths module in every year, to try and keep up my skills, if that makes sense. Although I'm not sure how the modules work, so it might not be possible.

I got A*AB and I'm currently at Medical School and am applying for a transfer, I've got literally no idea whether I'll get an offer or not, transferring from medicine could go either way really. I think I'd rather have gone for the safer option of Biology and be more likely to get an offer, as opposed to the more competitive NatSci course and not getting an offer at all, since I don't have the grades.
Original post by smcc
Sorry, I mean study some sort of maths module in every year, to try and keep up my skills, if that makes sense. Although I'm not sure how the modules work, so it might not be possible.

I got A*AB and I'm currently at Medical School and am applying for a transfer, I've got literally no idea whether I'll get an offer or not, transferring from medicine could go either way really. I think I'd rather have gone for the safer option of Biology and be more likely to get an offer, as opposed to the more competitive NatSci course and not getting an offer at all, since I don't have the grades.

Oh right! Well I guess they teach you any maths you need for biology in the biology modules, so you won't need to take extra maths modules. You could always do an OU course in the summer or something if you're just interested in the maths :smile:, plus you can go to any maths lectures you like (as long as they don't clash with your biology contact hours).
Reply 3828
Could someone please tell me what Collingwood is like? I applied open application and got them! Seems like a pleasant place, but that's all I know! Cheers x
Original post by RubyJ
Could someone please tell me what Collingwood is like? I applied open application and got them! Seems like a pleasant place, but that's all I know! Cheers x

It's amazing!! :wink:
If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.
what is st aidens like?
Original post by maxcartwright

Original post by maxcartwright
what is st aidens like?

Quite a few people (including me) have written about Aidan's (they're picky about the spelling) on this thread and the applicant thread so it might be useful to check back.

It's not formal, very relaxed and everyone I know there absolutely loves it. They have "formals" 2 or three times a term, one or two of those will be fancy dress.

What is worth bearing in mind is that the vast majority of people who apply to Castle don't get in and are assigned somewhere else. Also, the way colleges allocate their places means there is a wide range of people in terms of background, education, nationality and course studied. In ensures a mix wherever you go.

Aidan's is in many ways very similar to any of the less formal, newer colleges. There is information about it in the prospectus and on the website but no one can tell you whether it's right for you. I do know however that the overwhelming majority of Durham students end up being very happy with their college wherever they go. Perhaps going to the open day would be useful?
Could anyone tell me if Durham guarantees accommodation for the duration of your degree? I've tried looking everywhere on the website and can't seem to find it.
Reply 3833
Original post by thehaberprocess
Could anyone tell me if Durham guarantees accommodation for the duration of your degree? I've tried looking everywhere on the website and can't seem to find it.

Most colleges guarantee accommodation for 1st year, and you can apply for accommodation in 2nd and 3rd year but it is not always guaranteed. There are plenty of (cheap) student houses throughout the town though and I don't know anyone who's had a problem finding a suitable place to live; a lot of 2nd and 3rd years opt to live out intentionally.

Most universities like to encourage students to live out for at least the 2nd year. It gives you a wide range of skills that living in college/hall won't give you.

At Durham I think the chances of a place back in college in the 3rd year varies a lot. Some colleges do it on a point scoring basis (what have you done for the college? How well are you doing academically?). Others colleges have places for just about any third year who wants one - sometimes because the college is large and noisy and people find they're happier to live out (although third year rooms tend to be in different, quieter bits of the building).

I have heard of people getting places in college in the second year but it tends to be because of quite special circumstances. It's not the norm.

Private student accommodation in Durham tends to be concentrated in certain areas (see http://durhamstudentpad.co.uk) so people often end up living a student community.
Original post by Zenobia
Most colleges guarantee accommodation for 1st year, and you can apply for accommodation in 2nd and 3rd year but it is not always guaranteed. There are plenty of (cheap) student houses throughout the town though and I don't know anyone who's had a problem finding a suitable place to live; a lot of 2nd and 3rd years opt to live out intentionally.

So of the 2nd and 3rd years, what is the success % of securing a college accommodation?
Reply 3836
So of the 2nd and 3rd years, what is the success % of securing a college accommodation?

In my college, as long as you let them know when they ask you to (i.e. in November), it is usually fine. I don't know anyone who didn't get a spot when they asked in time. I don't know about other colleges though. In my college (Mary's) 2nd and 3rd years don't generally live in, while at Chad's it's far more popular, so I wonder if it's harder to get a place there.
Anyway I recommend living out as it is WAY cheaper.
Original post by Zenobia
In my college, as long as you let them know when they ask you to (i.e. in November), it is usually fine. I don't know anyone who didn't get a spot when they asked in time. I don't know about other colleges though. In my college (Mary's) 2nd and 3rd years don't generally live in, while at Chad's it's far more popular, so I wonder if it's harder to get a place there.

Really? How much is accommodation in your college?
Original post by Zenobia

Agreed. The rent they charge in college is so steep! It is pretty shocking really. :frown:
Reply 3839
Really? How much is accommodation in your college?

Prices can be found here, for all colleges: http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommodation/costs/

I'd say I pay about half by living out.

Quick Reply

Latest