The Student Room Group

Engineering at Cambridge

Hi all,

I am going to apply for Engineering at Cambridge, I got 4 A's at AS (physics, maths, geography and business studies). Would taking an AS in further maths (at the expense of geography)improve my chances of getting in :confused: or would I be best sticking at my current subjects and get 4 full A-levels?

If I got a interview, what are likely questions Cambridge could ask me and how do I go about preparing for them?

Thanks for your time,

Flowerpower
Reply 1
If your school offers further maths then you must take it. I only did as and they questioned why I didnt do the full A2 further maths. And I think you would be better off ditching business studies and keeping geog.

If you have decent GCSEs and I imagine are predicted straight As, then you will definitely get an interview.
Reply 2
Without full further you have to impress more at interview, and they will be bemused if full further is avaliable. AS will help, of course, but be ready to astound them with your brilliance :smile:

I agree that Geo may be better than business, but I'm not sure that it would make much of a difference.
Reply 3
SilentGirl
wow..u got in to cambridge.

Lots of people do :p:

SilentGirl
What did u get for your gcse's & a-levels?? what were your a-level subjects??
I dnt have 10 A*s for my GCSEs but im sure if i do really well in my a-levels, i can apply for cambridge or imperial.

I got 8A*s and 3 a's, plus an a at FSMQ.

I then did Maths, Further, Physics and Electronics, and fot A's in all of them, plus an A in Chem at AS.

Latest