The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

Hey, today I showed a teacher at school my personal statement and one of the things she mentioned was that I should include details about the subjects I'm currently studying; that I should mention what skills I have developed from them.

I didn't really like the idea of that and was wondering what other people have done/will do.

Is it really necessary? (And yes, I know it's a personal statement, but still...)
Reply 1
I dedicated a whole paragraph to the skills I have developed from my AS levels. As I've studied "essay" subjects and I'm applying for Law I basically said that they have taught me powers of analysis and evaluation skills. In addition AS Level has taught me how to manage time effectively, etc, etc.

What subjects have you studied? It's probably a good idea to state that you've developed the key skills, ability to communicate articulately and confidently, time management, etc.
Reply 2
All my subjects are science based, so I can't really say that I've developed any analysis/evaluation skills from them. I just feel that if I wrote about them, I'd end up repeating myself and everything would sound too generic.

I've mentioned the ability to communicate/time management etc, just not through skills I've developed through my AS studies.
Reply 3
It might be a good idea to state something like; "The decision to study medicine has been obvious. I have always been intrigued by science and have thorughly enjoyed studying x,y and z at A-Level". But if you've covered the fact that you've developed the skills which are essential for university then I wouldn't worry. It's definitely not essential, just something which most people do. There's nothing wrong with originality as long as you've covered the main bits.
Reply 4
Yeah, I've mentioned that I enjoy subject x and then followed that up with specific details, but I haven't said something like "through my AS Chemistry studies I have learnt to bla bla bla".

So long as it's not a necessity, admissions tutors aren't looking for it and not mentioning it won't put me at any sort of disadvantage, then I'm happy.
Reply 5
You can do whatever you like with your personal statement, it's just your chance to sell yourself. The admissions tutor will know what you're studying because it'll be stated on the UCAS form and in your reference. You'll not be at any disadvantage for not saying "Chemistry has taught me blah, blah, blah"; You've got the grade to prove you've learnt something lol. If you include all the important things; your interest in medicine, work experience, the skills you've got, etc. you'll be fine. Good luck. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Mr_Deeds
The admissions tutor will know what you're studying because it'll be stated on the UCAS form and in your reference.

Yeah, haha, that was my argument.

I don't think I'll change anything in that respect, but I will make the other changes she mentioned. (Or most of them, anyway.)

Reply 7
No problem.
Reply 8
tbh the extent to which you have those abilities is partially assessed by BMAT and the UKCAT
Reply 9
Practically everyone will have Biology and Chemistry and a lot of people will also have Maths/Physics, so anything you do say probably won't be very original! I think it's only worth mentioning anything if you've chosen an unusual subject or something you've studied has particularly interested you and helped you in deciding you want to do medicine.
If I were you personally...I'd not spend much time on those AS level subjects. I'd put forward any work experience you have partaken in instead, as the assessors will already know the core skills required for eg. Maths, Biology, Chemistry etc...

Their priority lies in finding out how you decided to become a doctor, and it's highly unlikely that decision has been fortified through science studies alone. If it has, I'd advise you pursue a career in science :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending