The Student Room Group

Chinese Medicine: Acupuncture

Is anyone doing this course this year? Or has anyone done this course previously, is it worth it and how easy is the course, also if i was to do this course would i get a job from it and where can i volunteer, for example?

Thanks
Moved from vet med for you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Moved from vet med for you :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by Roy101
Is anyone doing this course this year? Or has anyone done this course previously, is it worth it and how easy is the course, also if i was to do this course would i get a job from it and where can i volunteer, for example?

Thanks

Hey Roy, I studied acupuncture a few years ago. I looked around at a few different courses, but in the end I chose to study at the International College of Oriental Medicine (aka ICOM). They’re affiliated with the University of Greenwich, but all the training is run at ICOM in East Grinstead. Personally, I really enjoyed it. It is a challenging course, but if you have a strong interest in acupuncture and Chinese philosophy then you will most likely love it. The Chinese medicine lectures are very interesting, but what I enjoyed the most was the practical training that you get on the course, which I found invaluable. For me, I like the style of acupuncture they teach at ICOM, which is why I chose to study there. However, there are several styles of acupuncture so I would also advise checking out the courses and styles offered at other colleges to make sure you choose the one that suits you best.

As for getting a job after; well, most practitioners are self-employed and you can start practicing as soon as you graduate and have been registered with a governing body, got your insurance and so forth. After finishing the course I went travelling for a year and then started working as an acupuncturist when I got back. However, most of my colleagues started practicing within a few months of qualifying.

As for volunteer work, yes there are several options. Some hospitals, care homes and charities do have volunteer acupuncturists working there so you can enquire around your local area. However, one in particular that ICOM are involved with is volunteer work for Macmillan, so if you study there you may also have the opportunity to volunteer there too when you graduate. I'd recommend going along to one of their open days, but do also check out other colleges too to find the one that is right for you. Here’s their open day scheduling here http://orientalmed.ac.uk/college/open-days/

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending