The Student Room Group

ASAP help needed- UNI choices for economics

hi i'm applying THIS FRIDAY on ucas for economics.

I have not had a chance to look around ANY unis & so i need to pick my 5 choices just from what people have said...

In GCSEs I got 3A*s, 6As & 1B. AS levels I got 4 As and at A2 I got 3 As (Economics, maths, art). im currently on a gap year doing some relevant-ish economics work experience.

im thinking of applying to cambridge, lse, ucl & need two more..
from what I've heard my other two should be out of Nottingham, Durham, bristol or warwick.. but i dont know which!!

but PLEASE can ppl give me some feedback as to what they think r my best bets to apply 4??
(- also I went to private schol and I heard Bristol discriminate against people from private school??)
I suggest you have a real good look at your remaining 2 options, and instead of applying this friday, wait a while to see where you'd like to live for the next 3 years because there is a fair chance you'll end up there.
definetly warwick
i would have then said bristol....i dont know how true that rumor is but if your worried bout that then i would have my other chose as nottingham
well im guessing he cant wait 3 weeks as he needs to send off his application to meet the dealine for applying to oxbridge.
I loved warwick when I look round. It's a gorgeous campus and was really lovely.

They're all well respected, so look at their websites and see what takes your fancy. You can't really go wrong with any of them!!
Reply 5
Err, 1 question, do you know what these universities think about you doing Art at A2 when applying for economics? I may be wrong, but I'd have thought, certainly Cambridge, would have 'black-listed' it. Also, I'd get a insurance type option (I realise you already have your grades, but if on the off chance all the top ones reject you, not saying they will, but it happens, you have something to fall back on).
Actually, I've got another idea. Have you considered just applying for 3 or 4 courses at the moment, and leave yourself 1 or 2 to add at a later date?

Say you apply to 3 universities where you'd really like to go. Then wait until about November/December. If you have one of the offers then there's no need to apply to any more, and you're done. But if you're rejected from all 3, then you have an opportunity to choose another couple and apply to them.

This way, you'll have an opportunity to look at where-else you might like to.
what????? is it possible to add unis later?
Thanks. do unis know that i added them later?
Reply 9
No
:smile:
Reply 11
lturner
hi i'm applying THIS FRIDAY on ucas for economics.

I have not had a chance to look around ANY unis & so i need to pick my 5 choices just from what people have said...

im thinking of applying to cambridge, lse, ucl & need two more..
from what I've heard my other two should be out of Nottingham, Durham, bristol or warwick.. but i dont know which!!

QUOTE]
Warwick would certainly like to think of itself as a step up from the other three. And I would like to think it would be one of your 5.
Reply 12
Sorry to hijack-ish this thread, but is it really possible to apply to say, 3 now and 2 later? I had no idea.

I'm applying to Oxford so my form has to be in in two weeks. Whilst my top 3 are certain, my other two, like the OP, aren't.

Is it part of the system or do you have to phone up UCAS and plead them to let you do it? If there's a risk involved then I'd rather do all 5 now.
You can add choices later, no problems with that. In fact thats the best thing to do if you are unsure.
Last year I was at UCL with a friend for stats & economics. After speaking to the admissions tutor she was absolutely fine with a late application (this was well after the January deadline) provided we still had a choice left on our UCAS (UCL do not do ucas extra)

I would only select those places you would be happy to study at, so if there is any doubt leave them blank for now.

Latest

Trending

Trending