The Student Room Group

Barts and Aberdeen

Hi

Im having a problem deciding which medical school to put down as you can probabely guess from the topic name. My problem is i dont have great GCSE's ( A* in short course ICT, AA in science, A in math, B in English, A in English Lit, B in Additional Math, B in Business Studies, C in Technology and Design and a D in French) but Aberdeen have told me that they dont consider GCSE's much, but the other thing is that i have a UKCAT average of 773, but aberdeen place only 4% on the UKCAT score. I know Barts has a cut-off point for the UKCAT at around 600, but after that cut-off will but high UKCAT score no longer advantage me? and how much importance does Barts put on GCSE's. I know that both want AAB, but considering Barts reputation, are they really happy with AAB or do you actually have to be a super-applicant.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Which one you prefer best?

Oh and Barts seem to be quite lenient on offers, there are a few people with ABB , AAC in some cases who missed their offers but were still allowed onto the course.
Reply 2
I don't know, because i love Scotland, though i haven't actually been to Aberdeen , also A LOT of my friends are going to Scotland. I love how London is so busy, but I'm sure at times it can be wearing and barely anyone i know is planning to go there :frown: . So as i cant decide which i like best. Im going to go on ease of entrance. So anyone know how important GCSE's are for Barts and if the UKCAT can compensate?
Reply 3
GCSEs aren't really that important I don't think.

Im going to go on ease of entrance

Awful way of deciding. Look at the course, social life, go for your gut feeling. Don't play the statistics game!
you'll save yourself a fortune going to aberdeen if that's a factor at all.... you'll not get a clear opinion here, half of them go to barts....
aberdeen dont look at GCSEs. they dont consider them when choosing people
Reply 6
Barts are very lenient on offers for those with exceptional interview scores. And I honestly couldn't recommend you apply here unless you think its what you want. If it is though, feck stats and go for it.
Reply 7
This is why VISITING universities first really, really helps. You have to spend 5 year of your life there (6 if you intercalate), so you have to happy with your choice. There's more to it than "can I get in", "are they 'the best' for med", etc...
plus (forgetting london) most people get their F1 jobs in the area they studied in.... so you're really talking about the best part of the next decade you're gonna spend there.... choose carefully!

Latest

Trending

Trending