The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Most people who join gyms want to lose weight, the second group are those who want to build muscles.

Cardio in gym is easy mode, if you attempt to run/jog outside and you work on it like a craft for just weeks the moment you return to the gym you realise how incredibly easy and comfortable it is to be doing machine cardio but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't as effective or more effective for fat burn if you know how your personal body works.

People who drive to the gym to run on the treadmill are unbelievable.
Original post by snowman77
I've not come across a single gym that has the balance right. Not even close to being right in fact. They have hundreds of treadmills, cross trainers, elliptical trainers etc. which are never more than 10-20% full (hence 80% of the machines are a complete waste of space). They have strange weights machines (which isolate particular muscle groups), most of which are empty all the time.

And yet the free weights section is absolutely rammed at virtually all times of day, with just 1 bench (almost always being used), 1 power rack (again, almost always in use) and 1 rack of dumbbells. With the 15kg-35kg almost always in use.

Why has every gym got it so badly wrong? You would think maybe one gym out there would understand...

Try Faversham's gym then!
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Oh boy.

I never said cardio is bad, I said gym cardio. Cardio as a whole is more important than weight training. The fitness industry should be renamed to the lifting/cosmetic industry.

If you want to do cardio go for a run or a walk or a cycle or swim. So many better outdoor alternatives. Gym is for weight training which has it's place

I know you meant gym cardio, that is why I mentioned elliptical/stationary bike. I also said that although other activities might be more efficient, it is only worth it if people can be consistent at it. I completely agree things like a run is better than an elliptical, but I have met people who managed to use an elliptical everyday months end, but could only probably keep up running a week or just a month - that is why gym cardio isn't bad in my opinion, it is something that more people are able to keep at (instead of just watching Netflix everyday).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ThePlanB

People who drive to the gym to run on the treadmill are unbelievable.

I think driving to a gym to use the treadmill is fine!

Although actual running is more demanding and technically the better exercise (and they could instead just run to the gym), there are a lot of reasons why people would prefer running on a treadmill. Some people are either uncomfortable or feel unsafe to just run outside - some area's are just not that great to run in to be fair. Maybe you only got concrete or uneven surfaces to run on - maybe you don't want to be held back by the weather. You may enjoy being able to dictate a speed/incline as needed.

There is a lot of convenience in treadmills, which explains why even some athletes use them (instead of just jogging on the streets). So no, I don't think it is that weird to drive to a gym to use a treadmill!
Original post by mashbbk
I know you meant gym cardio, that is why I mentioned elliptical/stationary bike. I also said that although other activities might be more efficient, it is only worth it if people can be consistent at it. I completely agree things like a run is better than an elliptical, but I have met people who managed to use an elliptical everyday months end, but could only probably keep up running a week or just a month - that is why gym cardio isn't bad in my opinion, it is something that more people are able to keep at (instead of just watching Netflix everyday).

Of course gym cardio is better than sitting on your arse all day. But physical locomotion will always trump machine usage. I would actually prefer it if gyms were outside. Fresh air in irreplaceable
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Of course gym cardio is better than sitting on your arse all day. But physical locomotion will always trump machine usage. I would actually prefer it if gyms were outside. Fresh air in irreplaceable

In certain cities, hard to find too :rofl:
Reply 26
It doesn't get enough use to justify all the machines. Hence 10-20% of machines are in use even at peak times (did you even read what I wrote?).

They have got it wrong in terms of making money. Although in my opinion, they don't want to attract the type of person who uses weights. They'd rather take a small hit financially, than attract lots of meathead lifters by adding more weights.

Don't know what gym you're going to but all the gyms I've been to the cardio machines have been basically full use during peak times... and rarely at 10-20% use at any time!
Reply 27
Original post by Tubbz
Stop spending 11 quid a month on a gym membership then and go somewhere decent.

If you use a commercial gym (pure gym, virgin, david lloyds, etc.) they cater for the cardio market, because that's what women want. They want to turn up, do half an hour on a bike and walk around in their lycra.

Join a proper gym, and you'll find 2 tread mills, and a load of plates, and some woman behind the counter selling you steroids that you buy because she's got bigger arms and pecks than you'll ever have.

Commercial gyms are more expensive that the hardcore lifting ones.
Reply 28
Original post by Fadel
Commercial gyms are more expensive that the hardcore lifting ones.

Pure gym and the gym group are <£15pm

Not true. Granted virgin and David lloyd are £40+ but my point stands. If you're paying £11 a month for pure gym, you can expect a lot of bikes, they're cheaper to maintain than weights areas, plus it keeps the clientele at bay
A gym with loads of cardio equipment is going to attract casuals. People are going to be put off if they see that there's only a small section of cardio equipment, whereas lifters are going to join the gym if it has the equipment they need.

If it bothers you, there are plenty of gyms that cater to lifters a lot more. I'm a member of a Pure Gym and a PAYG hardcore bodybuilding gym, if you go at the right times then the chain gyms are pretty empty though.
Reply 30
It doesn't get enough use to justify all the machines. Hence 10-20% of machines are in use even at peak times (did you even read what I wrote?).They have got it wrong in terms of making money. Although in my opinion, they don't want to attract the type of person who uses weights. They'd rather take a small hit financially, than attract lots of meathead lifters by adding more weights.
I have the same experience. Up to 50% of the gym is made up by cardio machines, never to more than 20% utilised, while there are no classes and even at peaks times in the winter (where cardio outside sucks) those things aren’t fully used. I have been to more than 10 gyms of that chain and seen the problem everywhere (although to a different extent). So yea.. totally agree with you snowman

Latest