The Student Room Group

Why have all gyms got the balance completely wrong between cardio and free weights?

I've not come across a single gym that has the balance right. Not even close to being right in fact. They have hundreds of treadmills, cross trainers, elliptical trainers etc. which are never more than 10-20% full (hence 80% of the machines are a complete waste of space). They have strange weights machines (which isolate particular muscle groups), most of which are empty all the time.

And yet the free weights section is absolutely rammed at virtually all times of day, with just 1 bench (almost always being used), 1 power rack (again, almost always in use) and 1 rack of dumbbells. With the 15kg-35kg almost always in use.

Why has every gym got it so badly wrong? You would think maybe one gym out there would understand...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snowman77
I've not come across a single gym that has the balance right. Not even close to being right in fact. They have hundreds of treadmills, cross trainers, elliptical trainers etc. which are never more than 10-20% full (hence 80% of the machines are a complete waste of space). They have strange weights machines (which isolate particular muscle groups), most of which are empty all the time.

And yet the free weights section is absolutely rammed at virtually all times of day, with just 1 bench (almost always being used), 1 power rack (again, almost always in use) and 1 rack of dumbbells. With the 15kg-35kg almost always in use.

Why has every gym got it so badly wrong? You would think maybe one gym out there would understand...

Have you visited all gyms?

You do realise there are gyms just for lifters? Join one of those.

Gyms are about making money. Cardio machines take up less space and also the length of visit is faster. Id expect females and non lifters are more profitable. The chain gyms at least monitor who visits the gym and why. If they get it wrong they go out of business. Supply and demand.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Have you visited all gyms?

You do realise there are gyms just for lifters? Join one of those.

Gyms are about making money. Cardio machines take up less space and also the length of visit is faster. Id expect females and non lifters are more profitable. The chain gyms at least monitor who visits the gym and why. If they get it wrong they go out of business. Supply and demand.
So why are at least 80% of cardio machines never being used, yet weights area is rammed with people waiting to use the bench and power rack at all times of day? It makes no sense. Cut the cardio machines down by half, add a couple more benches and racks, they would almost certainly get more customers.
Reply 3

Sorry, Gym lad.
Reply 4
Original post by RazorM
Sorry, Gym lad.
Do you experience the same problem?
Reply 5
Do you experience the same problem?

Naaa, your text was too long to read xD
So why are at least 80% of cardio machines never being used, yet weights area is rammed with people waiting to use the bench and power rack at all times of day? It makes no sense. Cut the cardio machines down by half, add a couple more benches and racks, they would almost certainly get more customers.

You should look at the clientele over the course of the day. At peak times the cardio gets a lot of use. Cardio can be highly utilised.

Weights take up more space and clientele tend to spend longer plus have more free time. Gyms are about making money. If you feel they have got it wrong then go and complain to the gym or write to head office telling them how to make more money.

You're visiting the wrong gyms. There's one local to me that has very little cardio equipment and absolutely loads of free weights / benches / racks etc.
Original post by swiftylol
You're visiting the wrong gyms. There's one local to me that has very little cardio equipment and absolutely loads of free weights / benches / racks etc.

Quite and such gyms are normally cheaper as well as they tend to be even more basic. They dont need a studio for classes etc.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
You should look at the clientele over the course of the day. At peak times the cardio gets a lot of use. Cardio can be highly utilised.

Weights take up more space and clientele tend to spend longer plus have more free time. Gyms are about making money. If you feel they have got it wrong then go and complain to the gym or write to head office telling them how to make more money.
It doesn't get enough use to justify all the machines. Hence 10-20% of machines are in use even at peak times (did you even read what I wrote?).

They have got it wrong in terms of making money. Although in my opinion, they don't want to attract the type of person who uses weights. They'd rather take a small hit financially, than attract lots of meathead lifters by adding more weights.
A lot of them have cardio classes, like on the exercise bikes, which tend to pull in a lot of people (and hence a lot of money). I'd assume this is partly why the balance seems out of proportion.
It doesn't get enough use to justify all the machines. Hence 10-20% of machines are in use even at peak times (did you even read what I wrote?).

They have got it wrong in terms of making money. Although in my opinion, they don't want to attract the type of person who uses weights. They'd rather take a small hit financially, than attract lots of meathead lifters by adding more weights.

That must be particular to your gym.
You cant speak for all gyms. Imo lifters who spend all day in the gym are the least profitable clients.

If you only have a utilisation of 10_20% during peak them im surprised your gym is still in business. Are you there all day?

Will you be telling them why they are losing money?
Reply 12
This is kind of true for the chain gyms. They always have some next level machines who look alien but miss the most basic ones and have little free weight supplies.

You need to find an independent lifters gym. Not hard to find

Most gyms are awful as the general population just want to burn some calories and don't know/ don't want to know about lifting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
You're in the wrong gym!
Reply 15
Stop spending 11 quid a month on a gym membership then and go somewhere decent.

If you use a commercial gym (pure gym, virgin, david lloyds, etc.) they cater for the cardio market, because that's what women want. They want to turn up, do half an hour on a bike and walk around in their lycra.

Join a proper gym, and you'll find 2 tread mills, and a load of plates, and some woman behind the counter selling you steroids that you buy because she's got bigger arms and pecks than you'll ever have.
Half the cardio machines are crap anyway, only really need a Concept 2 and maybe a Treadmill. Gym cardio is a waste of time imo
Reply 17
I think that for most gyms the majority of their clientele aren't there for heavy lifting. A lot of people go there for cardio, classes, 'toning', etc. Even at my Gold's Gym almost all the people there are using machines.

In Japan it's actually quite difficult to find any gym that has lifting equipment. They'll typically only have one power rack with a bench under it. That's why I shell out the extra cash to go to a Gold's, since they have multiple racks and benches (and sometimes baths, saunas and other nice things).
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Half the cardio machines are crap anyway, only really need a Concept 2 and maybe a Treadmill. Gym cardio is a waste of time imo

Nothing is a waste compared to just sitting down to be fair. Also, I think cardio get's too much of a bad reputation, it isn't all bad - even if you're just using some elliptical or a stationary bike. I don't fully agree with the "You just need to lift and diet well" mantra that has become popular these days. Even seasoned bodybuilders do cardio.

With regards to things like Running/Concept 2 vs other machines - Sometimes you have to factor convenience over efficiency, if you tried to do a diet and exercise routine which was 100% efficient, it might not be one that you could stick to. For example, I sometimes drink diet drinks (to keep me sane). Sure it would be much better if I just drank water, but if the diet drinks help me keep my routine consistent at the cost of a bit of efficiency, it's better than being at 100% efficiency and lasting a week.

As for the original topic, I think I've experienced two gyms which had ample weights. One was the Loughborough Gym (no surprises there), and then the Barking Sporthouse Gym (which would be the best gym if it had longer opening hours). As someone has mentioned here, there are some lifting gyms you could go to - although I noticed that due to the nature of the gym, you may end up with the same problem of queuing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mashbbk
Nothing is a waste compared to just sitting down to be fair. Also, I think cardio get's too much of a bad reputation, it isn't all bad - even if you're just using some elliptical or a stationary bike. I don't fully agree with the "You just need to lift and diet well" mantra that has become popular these days. Even seasoned bodybuilders do cardio.

With regards to things like Running/Concept 2 vs other machines - Sometimes you have to factor convenience over efficiency, if you tried to do a diet and exercise routine which was 100% efficient, it might not be one that you could stick to. For example, I sometimes drink diet drinks (to keep me sane). Sure it would be much better if I just drank water, but if the diet drinks help me keep my routine consistent at the cost of a bit of efficiency, it's better than being at 100% efficiency and lasting a week.

As for the original topic, I think I've experienced two gyms which had ample weights. One was the Loughborough Gym (no surprises there), and then the Barking Sporthouse Gym (which would be the best gym if it had longer opening hours). As someone has mentioned here, there are some lifting gyms you could go to - although I noticed that due to the nature of the gym, you may end up with the same problem of queuing.

Oh boy.

I never said cardio is bad, I said gym cardio. Cardio as a whole is more important than weight training. The fitness industry should be renamed to the lifting/cosmetic industry.

If you want to do cardio go for a run or a walk or a cycle or swim. So many better outdoor alternatives. Gym is for weight training which has it's place

Latest