The Student Room Group

Communist China - good books

Looking for interesting books on Communist China. My knowledge at the moment is pretty limited and i've only done a bit of background reading.

Hard to say exactly what i'm after. The take-over following the second world war and the civil war is what i'm mainly interested in, as well as the build up and the causes of the revolution - not particularly interested in modern china or where communism has taken the country, thats something i'd like to look at another time. Maybe comparisons to the communist regime in Russia would be interesting to read about... I think in China, the revolutionaries put a greater emphasis on the peasant population as opposed to the workers, although in both cases it was more or less the middle classes spreading (imposing) communist ideology on the masses - about as all I can say with regards to comparison points between the two.

Most importantly, I don't want to read a history of the political events and nothing else - social factors, economic factors, and the general effect that the revolution had on the people is more interesting to me.

Sorry, i'm not very specific, but its a broad subject and i'm a bit at a loss as to where to start. Cheers for any help!
erm i dont know much about the subject but you could go onto amazon and type in some keywords/phrases and see what books come up..then you could rent a few of them from the library to see what they are like ??

Dont know how much you'll find but it could be worth a try
Reply 2
My library is useless tbh, has a couple of biographies, WWII texts and thats about it.

There's a fair bit on Amazon but its hard to tell whats worth looking into and what isn't...
ahh sorry i cant help much then i dont really know anything about the subject
Reply 4
Well obviously:
Jung Chang (spelling) - Mao/Wilde swans
Edward Snow - Red Star over China
The Long March - Schuyun

Latest

Trending

Trending