The Student Room Group

Debenham's Job first job help!

I have just got a job at Debenham's and was wondering if any one could tell me if I will get time and a half on a Sunday and if I will get any extra pay for working on Christmas Eve boxing day new years eve and new years day.

Also I was wondering about the training, how hard is it to be trained on a till and how long do you think it will take?

danke matt :smile:

Scroll to see replies

matty600
I have just got a job at Debenham's and was wondering if any one could tell me if I will get time and a half on a Sunday and if I will get any extra pay for working on Christmas Eve boxing day new years eve and new years day.

Also I was wondering about the training, how hard is it to be trained on a till and how long do you think it will take?

danke matt :smile:

well matt :smile:

i got a job too there, for xmas temp and its my first job aswell.
u dont get double pay on sunday i get 4 70 an hour.
im working boxing day and new years day for definate. and i have heard i wont get extra pay but we will wait and see!

till training is ok, aslong as u use it and take full advantage when she asks if you want to do it again.
its easier when you use it and when the trainer isnt explaining to you!
i had two days training 9 15 until 5pm
but had till training from 9 15 till about 1 15..
beware they love to talk about debenhams cards to you!
plus on your induction you have a little test.. isnt too bad though.
How long did it take you to get a response from Debenhams after you applied?
Never worked for Debenhams, but have done plenty of retail jobs. Till training is easy enough, you pick up the basics really easily, some of the finer points might take a bit longer depending on how often you have to use them (i.e. refunds).

Just remember the key to retail, always smile, and always say "thank you". Oh, and if you get a customer that won't listen to you, go get your manager, that's what they're there for :wink:
Reply 4
Lauren22_11_90
well matt :smile:

i had two days training 9 15 until 5pm
but had till training from 9 15 till about 1 15..

Lol cheers do you get paid for doing the training? I haven't got my hours through or any thing yet they said that they would post them to me lol. Hope im doing quite a few hours over the weekends! Then im gona do asmuch overtime as i can cram in over christmas.
Lady Leviathan
How long did it take you to get a response from Debenhams after you applied?

I applied online last friday, got a phonecall on tuesday morning and went to a group assessment evening on thursday. Just waiting to hear back now :biggrin:
Does anybody know if you get extra money on boxing day / new years day, etc when you are working on a temporary contract??
Reply 7
No you don't get extra money, you get time off in leiu so if you work 6 hours on Boxing Day you get a six hours off somewhere else.
Reply 8
Is there any chance of being kept on after christmas do you reckon? Start training on the 10th but duno how long ill be working for lol im looking forward to it probs wont b after a while tho lol.

Should be fun with everyone christmas shopping n that lol hopefully all customers will be happy haha
Reply 9
It's generally 12 weeks for the temp contract.

The two stores I've worked in have always kept on a few, so work hard and enjoy it!

If you survive the Christmas Spectacular rush then you'll be flying through!
Reply 10
yay lol cheers shud b fun, as long as i stil get what i need for uni lol. cant wait
i havent recieved ym pack yet or contract. but todays my first day!
10 till 4 as sunday.
got to sign in and then just go to whereever im ment to go and go from there she said!
but to make things worse, lost my locker key now!
Reply 12
:| o dear lol, maybe we wil be doing sum flex hour fing or sumin where u have diff hours each week.
Reply 13
Hope your first day was okay Lauren

Any questions just ask
ahh thanks!!
it was good.
even though i got a lady shouting at me hahaha!
but yeah, bit worried as my contract/pack hasnt arrived.
and i need to get my p46 form asap back so i dont get taxed ahhh!
Gemz87
It's generally 12 weeks for the temp contract.

The store that i've applied to is only offering a 4 week contract :frown:
Reply 16
i hope its a bit longer than 4 weeks as thats a wee pointless lol, but i spose its stil sum extra money. it seems that no one ever recieves their 'pack' lol. training is on the 10th and i dont know when i have to turn up yet they didnt tel me on the phone they sed they wud get back 2 me...
i rang up the head office/ resource centre! and they said
should be with everyone in the next week as theres so many temps this year ...
another excuse debenhams?
Reply 18
Lauren22_11_90
ahh thanks!!
it was good.
even though i got a lady shouting at me hahaha!
but yeah, bit worried as my contract/pack hasnt arrived.
and i need to get my p46 form asap back so i dont get taxed ahhh!

Quite a few people will end up getting emergency taxed, it's not a problem, you get it back!
Reply 19
cokeandtears
The store that i've applied to is only offering a 4 week contract :frown:

They must already have their 12 week people in place.

Still I've known four week people to be kept on so all is not lost

Latest

Trending

Trending