The Student Room Group

Interview stage for MA Social Work

Just got into my home, and i have received a letter mentioning i am through to the interviewing stage re: my application for a Masters in Social Work at a local university. I'm happy about this, naturally. But the reality is, of course, that there's still alot of work to do if i am to prove successful in my application and am forwarded onto the course, which starts in October 2008.

Now then...

(1). Any amongst you who have gone through the entire application experience? If so, have you any advice/recommendations, books to read perhaps in how to go about preparing for the interview...?? There is much competition for places for this course at the university, what could set me apart? Anything to gain a competitive edge.....

If anyone has any general MA interviewing advice, that'd also be much appreciated. I know i need to prepare extremely well for this interview so if i'm feeling extremely well-prepared for it, the better i should do, theoretically-speaking.

Regards.
Reply 1
work experience will count for a lot and give you something concrete to talk about.

beyond work experience, check the website for the course regarding its values, mission statements, skills required by candidate etc. if it is competitive, then i'd imagine knowledge of something practical is required ("every child matters" etc). Do a little bit of background reading on this, child protection laws, and think about what's the same and what is unique in terms of social work for the young/the adult/older people/disabilities etc.
Reply 2
oh, and don't introduce yourself as 'turdy' lol
Reply 3
The Boosh
oh, and don't introduce yourself as 'turdy' lol

Damn, there goes my competitive edge :wink:

I don't think it'd endear me to them, would it? :biggrin:

I guess i could put the charm offensive on, sex the show up a little?
Show a bit of chest hair? :rolleyes:
Reply 4
oh defo - bring out the gold chain, the white leather flairs and the pink, half-open frilly shirt then cram in as many sexy innuendos as you can. you'd be on to a winner there.
The Boosh
oh defo - bring out the gold chain, the white leather flairs and the pink, half-open frilly shirt then cram in as many sexy innuendos as you can. you'd be on to a winner there.

to be honest, if someone came in to an interview dressed and acted like that I would probably give them a place. Its shows balls and would suggest that that person could be fun to work with.

I am of course not suggesting you do that, but it would be interesting, especially if all the candidates are much of a muchness.

I do know of a guy who went in to an interview for PhD at Oxford (which he got). in ripped genes, told them the interview panel what they were doing was all flawed and irrelevent and then invited them all for a beer afterwards. In his feedback he was told that all the candidates had good degrees, good experience, good subject knowledge, but he stood out for his attitude and persona.

risks sometimes work, but probably best to stay away
Reply 6
flexiblefish
I do know of a guy who went in to an interview for PhD at Oxford (which he got). in ripped genes, told them the interview panel what they were doing was all flawed and irrelevent and then invited them all for a beer afterwards. In his feedback he was told that all the candidates had good degrees, good experience, good subject knowledge, but he stood out for his attitude and persona.

Ripped genes? Was he a geneticist?:wink:
hobnob
Ripped genes? Was he a geneticist?:wink:

sorry, been reading a paper about evolution of genetic straines of disease today, must be working if its imbedded like that

JEANS gag-nammit
is there anyone on TSR who 'knows their stuff' about the MA Social Work application process, what can be involved in the interview stage/process, and indeed the nature of the Social Work course itself....???

I have read up about SW, and the field i'm particularly interested in, but is there anyone on TSR who could give me a few pointers, words of advice, that kind of thing? :confused:

It would be much appreciated. I've just received two letters from the post now, giving possible dates for an interview, an interview that is said to last approximately 30 mins. Needless to say, i want to go into that interview room as well prepared as possible. Also, what should i be wearing to the interview? :confused:
what the hell is a strainES.

whats wrong with me.

I tell you, litteracy amongst university students is terrible these days

Latest

Trending

Trending