The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Motorsport technology

hey guys im heading to brookes in september to study motorsport technology, is anyone on this in the course that wants to tell me what its like? , is it as hands-on as it looks?

how similar to engineering is it?
thanks
Original post by seppie
hey guys im heading to brookes in september to study motorsport technology, is anyone on this in the course that wants to tell me what its like? , is it as hands-on as it looks?

thanks

Hi seppie

Congratulations! We're really pleased you're coming to Brookes in September!

The first two years of the BSc Mechanical Engineering and BSc Motorsport Technology programmes are similar, so you can transfer from one course to the other depending on your grades. You'll cover disciplines from CAD/CAM, stress and dynamic analysis, thermo-fluids to business and management. You'll also be exposed to all aspects of racing and road car design, gaining an understanding of the entire design process and learning how to turn your ideas into well-prepared design proposals.

You can also join our Formula Student team - a project that will challenge you to design, build, test and race a single-seater racing car. So it can be pretty hands on.

Our students often take up work placements with local motorsports companies, many are really close to Oxford. And you'll have access to some pretty state-of-the-art kit including industry-standard analysis software.

I've asked the Undergraduate Programme lead for a more comprehensive answer, so hopefully I can get back to you. But in the meantime, if you have any questions, you can email [email protected]

I hope this helps!
Emma
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by seppie

thanks

Original post by Oxford Brookes University
Hi seppie

Congratulations! We're really pleased you're coming to Brookes in September!

The first two years of the BSc Mechanical Engineering and BSc Motorsport Technology programmes are similar, so you can transfer from one course to the other depending on your grades. You'll cover disciplines from CAD/CAM, stress and dynamic analysis, thermo-fluids to business and management. You'll also be exposed to all aspects of racing and road car design, gaining an understanding of the entire design process and learning how to turn your ideas into well-prepared design proposals.

You can also join our Formula Student team - a project that will challenge you to design, build, test and race a single-seater racing car. So it can be pretty hands on.

Our students often take up work placements with local motorsports companies, many are really close to Oxford. And you'll have access to some pretty state-of-the-art kit including industry-standard analysis software.

I've asked the Undergraduate Programme lead for a more comprehensive answer, so hopefully I can get back to you. But in the meantime, if you have any questions, you can email [email protected]

I hope this helps!
Emma

Hi seppie!

We've heard back from the Senior Lecturer in Engineering Design (Colin Bell), who wants to give you a bit more detail in response to your questions :smile:

In terms of how hands-on the course is, he says:

* in the first year you will spend a fair amount of time in labs either performing experiments, using workshop tools or dissembling components
* this is to provide an understanding of the practical aspects of Engineering
* the best Engineers have a practical awareness of how designs can be made - no matter how good a design, it means nothing if it can't be built!
* these hands-on skills and the understanding they give you is one of the reasons our graduates are so well regarded in the industry

So it's definitely as hands-on as it looks!

And in terms of how similar it is to Engineering:

* Engineering has higher mathematical/analytical demands
* the focus of Motorsport Technology is more focused on practical and design subjects
* both degrees are accredited by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers
* the main difference is in the types of careers a graduate would go on to - Motorsport Technology is geared towards a career as an Incorporated Engineer, who focus on the application and management of current technology (Engineering is geared towards a career as a Chartered Engineer, which is more about the development and applications of new technologies, concepts, techniques and services)
* but it is possible to work towards being either an Incorporated Engineer or a Chartered Engineer through the Motorsport technology programme - but this might need some extra study

We hope that's a helpful insight, and we're really looking forward to having you at Brookes in September! :smile:

Alice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending