The Student Room Group

Only 20% of young British people are active followers of Jesus

Scroll to see replies

Personally classing myself as a textbook Christian is not something I have done for the past number of years, however I work at a cathedral, my mum is a vicar and religion is very interesting to me in a political and historical sense.

I think that in order to attract the younger generations, Christianity must appeal to them on their terms.There's no point flinging open the church doors and waiting for the youth to come with the good intention of welcome when that type of Christian community is no longer appealing. We are a generation where those old fashioned traditions of almost becoming your parents (following their religion, adopting their trade... etc) are no longer applicable, and therefore we naturally find faults with their version of organised religion.

There is no doubt that Christianity will survive, but in order for it to flourish, it must allow itself to be remoulded by those it wishes to serve.
Original post by Emms98
It's actually excellent in my view, as a follower of Jesus Christ, that 1 in 5 of us young people follow him. That means that almost everyone knows a follower of Jesus, which means that potentially the Gospel is available to all who will hear it. As Christians we shouldn't, and largely don't, focus on the number of followers we get but on letting people know about what we believe and potentially giving them the option to find out more if they wish. There are some religions that aggressively seek new followers just to make their community more powerful, and a few Christian denominations are still like that unfortunately, but as Christians we should not be focused on numbers but on actively following our Lord and letting people know the message he gave the world. Then they can choose to accept or reject that message without any pressure.

Ah, a 'the glass is 1/5 full' kinda guy.
Original post by Trapz99
That's actually surprisingly higher than I thought. That means that most young people will know someone who is a Christian, which allows the Gospel to reach potentially every young person in the country. As Christians, we can share the message of Jesus and his sacrifice, people can choose whether to accept it or not and if they really don't want to, that's not a problem since at least they have heard the good news and chosen to reject it instead of being kept in the dark about it.

It's not the 1st century AD anymore I doubt there are many places on the globe that haven't heard the "good news". This shows a major decline from previous generations where pretty much everyone was a Christian.Christianity is on a slow and steady decline in this country.
All of TSR's sins are forgiven by the great sacrifice of God's only Son :h:

Get off the steam train and on the flying train towards No religions :smile:

*Chook chook* get on board
Great that such a big amount of young people follow Jesus. We should of course tell people the good news and clearly identify us as followers of Jesus Christ, but there is no need to pressure people to join the faith, not a numbers game. Just be strong in your faith and live your life glorifying God and don't devote yourself too much to the wider world. If people want to accept the good news, they will. Those that won't, won't.

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him" - 1 John 2:15
Atheism will rule the world one day.. and it will be great.
Original post by Robby2312
It's not the 1st century AD anymore I doubt there are many places on the globe that haven't heard the "good news". This shows a major decline from previous generations where pretty much everyone was a Christian.Christianity is on a slow and steady decline in this country.

I'm not talking about places, I'm talking about people. There are still a lot of people in this country and across the world who haven't ever given much thought to Christianity, who think we just 'believe in Jesus' who haven't received the good news. A lot of people just go about life without thinking of religion at all. Those are the people that we can tell the good news to. If they accept or reject it, that's their choice but what matters is being a follower of Jesus in front of a nation of non-followers. I don't mind if people are choosing to leave the faith, that's their choice, what matters is that they are told about the good news of salvation. And what matters is that while people's lives change, the church accommodates that and doesn't stay the same.

And there are actually places hat haven't heard the good news. The Middle East of course has had a Christian community since the very early days of Christianity, but in the past few years the Gospel has been unheard of there due to various reasons. Likewise, there are millions of people in India, China, former Soviet Union nations, parts of Africa, the Pacific Ocean islands, who have never heard the good news.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Because Christianity doesn't fear apostasy as much as Islam does. That can not be a thing to brag about, that your religion is becoming the biggest in the world because of fear and restriction?

Fear and restriction? More like because people are waking up
Reply 29
Original post by serions871
Don't you think that could be because many Muslim countries make leaving Islam punishable by death, and that Muslim terror groups in the basically have a 'convert or die' policy towards non-Muslims

Don't you think that you could learn to put a question mark at the end of a question?
Original post by Throwaway740
I don't think Christianity will disappear anytime soon, far from it. It's just that religion doesn't have a big place in some people's lives. Just look at church attendance rates for example. So yeah there's a good chunk of irreligious people, but that doesn't make them atheists. There are some people who aren't particularly religious but still believe in a god or higher power. Like some so-called 'Christians' who aren't religious at all: promiscuity, doesn't go Church, pretty much lives life as if the Bible doesn't exist, except for the fact that they believe in God and Jesus, that's it.

I agree! Before it was more of "I go to church, because I have to".
Even if it is still true that at least a more Christian "morality" was shared even by people who weren't truly religious in their hearts.
Original post by desaf1
Meanwhile Islam is the fastest growing major religion on Earth whereas Christianity is losing millions of followers a year. Islam will be the largest religion in our lifetime. Many Christians convert to Islam every year.

Would you like a pat on the back?
Ask them in front of their parents, see it shoot up.

Also I imagine Islam in particular would be on the rise.
Original post by desaf1
Meanwhile Islam is the fastest growing major religion on Earth whereas Christianity is losing millions of followers a year. Islam will be the largest religion in our lifetime. Many Christians convert to Islam every year.

There are hardly any converts to Islam. Also, Islam will go exactly the same way as Christianity btw, it's just that Islam is a young religion so right now it's in its Crusades stage.
It's only natural that as society becomes more inteeligent, it gradually starts to let go of ancient beliefs. The trend is looking positive, although there is still work to be done.
Original post by desaf1
Fear and restriction? More like because people are waking up

Exactly. People are waking up to how bad Islam is, but your religion will not allow them to leave without being disowned from their family, or in some areas, killed.
Organised religion is for dumbasses. Useful for identifying those not worth getting close to though
Reply 37
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
There are hardly any converts to Islam. Also, Islam will go exactly the same way as Christianity btw, it's just that Islam is a young religion so right now it's in its Crusades stage.

There are many converts to Islam. It's just that Islam is hard to spread in the West since the media portrays such an awful view of it which makes people intolerant towards hearing the message
Original post by desaf1
There are many converts to Islam. It's just that Islam is hard to spread in the West since the media portrays such an awful view of it which makes people intolerant towards hearing the message

Islam preaches objectivelty abhorrent things. Rejecting that doesn't make people intolerant.
I'm an active follower of Jesus, but I don't think the idea that he sacrificed himself for the sins of the world is a particularly useful one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending