The Student Room Group

unable to attend interview

i am a prospective international student from Canada. I applied to study French and Russian at christ's. However, I wont be able to attend the interview because of school works over here. In the letter from the admission tutor, they said that the decision will base solely on my grades, written work, and all the other stuffs I sent in.

Do you think I have any chance of getting in? My grades are quite good, but I'm really not sure about the grammar of my french essay I sent in. i'm so nervous...
Reply 1
schools works? huh.

you're probably going to be bottom of the pile for consideration really, since giving you an offer would be a big gamble on their part if they haven't met you, and it doesn't make you seem like you massively want to get in if you don't bother to come to the interview.
Yeah, it's a bit of a gamble when they haven't met you. Although they can get a pretty good idea about a person before interview, they turn down quite a few people every year who are good on paper which suggests the interview can be extremely important. I'm suprised they're not giving you a phone interview at least.
Reply 3
I would say request for a phone interview - call up the admissions office and do whatever it requires to get a phone interview. I am sure there are many international students (eg. me!) who might not be able to visit Cambridge for the interview. If you are anyway pushed to the bottom of the pile, a couple more calls wouldn't hurt your prospects.
Reply 4
Hey there, glad to see someone from BC as well!

Is it absolutely impossible to leave for a few days to attend an interview which may or may not determine the rest of your life?

I have my oral commentary in English HL the day after I get back from the interview, and I am still going. Taking into consideration the jet lag, this translates to analysing possibly an Owen poem or an excerpt from Lear in a drowse.

Otherwise, get a phone interview. Although the quality wouldn't be as impressive and you are not really showing your dedication, it's much better than nothing.

Latest

Trending

Trending