The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Squishy
Because exam results aren't everything. Decent universities want people who are not only intelligent, but willing to learn, not people who do well in exams and think they know it all already (and you seem to fall more into the second category than the first).

And in the old days, much fewer people sat A-levels, and there were fewer universities. That's why people getting 3A's were pretty much going to be Oxbridge-bound.

I think it's also to do with natural ability. Someone may have got 3A's at A-level, but had to work their butt off to get them. I think that's why especially for Law, they are making people to LNAT tests.

Also i find that coursework can be an escape root for some people as it's not difficult to score a high grade in that module. For example, I got higher marks than most people in my set for my media exam yet i only got a B while others got an A. When i looked at their individual score it wasn't that great. I got a C in my coursework mainly due to circumstance which was annoying:frown:
Reply 41
Acaila
More joy of the scottish systems: small class sizes at Advanced Higher.
For me (all including myself) 4 in Maths, 6 in Geography and 2 in Computing. :smile:

For me (including myself) it was 2 in maths, 3 in chemistry, and just me in physics! We were spoilt for maths, and got 8 hours a week between two teachers (the best maths teacher in the school, and the rector), but didn't get taught atall in the other two!
vinny2256
Damn rite. All those VOID, NULL A levels (they know who they are!) media studies, sociology, physcology and all that crap should be exterminated. no wonder everyone gets A's!!

You speak so much crap it's unbelieveable.
Reply 43
calumc
For me (including myself) it was 2 in maths, 3 in chemistry, and just me in physics! We were spoilt for maths, and got 8 hours a week between two teachers (the best maths teacher in the school, and the rector), but didn't get taught atall in the other two!

Isn't your school smaller than mine thought?
Fluffmonster
Can I just ask....is there ANYONE applying to Cambridge who didn't get all A*s at GCSE???!

Loads! Most, in fact.

Apparently there's someone in my year at my college who got mostly Cs at GCSE. Don't worry about it :smile:
MadNatSci
Loads! Most, in fact.

Apparently there's someone in my year at my college who got mostly Cs at GCSE. Don't worry about it :smile:

wow. What did he get at AS and A-level?
Reply 46
Acaila
Isn't your school smaller than mine thought?

Yeh, about 350 pupils or something. Those numbers probably aren't bad considering the size of the school.
Reply 47
Cellardore
wow. What did he get at AS and A-level?

I think he got As. Got a 2.2 this year despite heavy extra-curricular committments too, which sounds pretty good to me.
Reply 48
I hate to break it to you, but getting high UMS in 2 language AS-levels doesn't mean much to anyone. There are people out there, who get 600s in 2 language A-levels and don't even study them properly or concentrate in an entirely different area. Along with maths and a couple of others, languages seem to be the kind of subject, where it is not uncommon to have an unusual ability and score very highly.

P.S. I'm talking from personal experience.
Reply 49
Fluffmonster
Can I just ask....is there ANYONE applying to Cambridge who didn't get all A*s at GCSE???!

Well I only got three at A* and I'm currently running in the high 2:1s in the tripos, so it isn't exactly very important and the tutors know that.

Alaric.
Reply 50
calumc
Yeh, about 350 pupils or something. Those numbers probably aren't bad considering the size of the school.

Is that in the whole school! There are 1500 pupils in my school. In sixth year I had 15 in maths, 18 in RE and only 2 in music. But overall there were 150 pupils in sixth year. Its a big school :biggrin:
Reply 51
Aj_uk
Is that in the whole school! There are 1500 pupils in my school. In sixth year I had 15 in maths, 18 in RE and only 2 in music. But overall there were 150 pupils in sixth year. Its a big school :biggrin:

There were 34 in my 6th year, and that was unusually high! This years 6th year is the opposite extreme and is only 17, with all but 4 female. If it's anything like the girls in our year, those poor guys are going to have a pretty stressful 12 months!
Reply 52
My sixth form has roughly 30 pupils for each of my classes apart from maths where we have about 15 and biology where we have about 40 :eek: Luckily however we were able to divide the class into two groups after 6 months. But i do expect about 30 pupils on average for all my classes for yr 13. Its a bit of a bugger but oh well :rolleyes:
Adil Bhai
My sixth form has roughly 30 pupils for each of my classes apart from maths where we have about 15 and biology where we have about 40 :eek: Luckily however we were able to divide the class into two groups after 6 months. But i do expect about 30 pupils on average for all my classes for yr 13. Its a bit of a bugger but oh well :rolleyes:

Usually A2 classes are much lighter than AS...But if you've got two classes feeding into one A2 :frown: Maybe they'll keep two classes for A2?

Luckily I get no more than 15 in any class, and for Further Maths I get individual tuition :cool: :biggrin: It's pretty cool since I'm talking about a state college....!

That did seem as though I was rubbing it in, didn't it? :rolleyes:

T
Aj_uk
I'm sorry but uni's also want people who have personality's ( Is that how you spell it?) I know a boy who is seriously smart, all he gets is A's, but he doesn't talk to anyone, doesn't even go out. University's want well rounded people not just people who are extremely smart.

I did music, should I not be going to university because of this.

when a word ends in a y (university, personality) the plural form usually becomes "ies" - universities, personalities.apostrophes aren't used in plurals (although some people use them in forms like CD's, 1960's, i don't think this is right).

:smile: hth

rosie
Reply 55
Pedant :tongue:

calumc
There were 34 in my 6th year, and that was unusually high! This years 6th year is the opposite extreme and is only 17, with all but 4 female. If it's anything like the girls in our year, those poor guys are going to have a pretty stressful 12 months!

My school's got about 1150 pupils. My year's got about 140-ish I think in S6 but that is a slightly random estimate :biggrin:

I think I heard somewhere about Cambridge asking for your class sizes. Is this true and will I be at a disadvantage because AHs have such small classes?
Reply 56
Acaila
Pedant :tongue:

My school's got about 1150 pupils. My year's got about 140-ish I think in S6 but that is a slightly random estimate :biggrin:

I think I heard somewhere about Cambridge asking for your class sizes. Is this true and will I be at a disadvantage because AHs have such small classes?

I havn't heard that myself, Oxford didn't ask me anyway. I doubt it will put you at a disadvantage though.
Reply 57
I haven't heard it as a big thing like UMS marks. I just seem to remember hearing it mentioned as something on a form they send you.
Hopefully they won't mind as I will dazzle them at interview and they'll give me an unconditional offer. :smile:
*cough* fat chance *cough* :biggrin:
Reply 58
It's on the supplementary application form they sent (well that Clare sent at least), right next to the UMS marks table. They also asked again at interview.
Acaila
I haven't heard it as a big thing like UMS marks. I just seem to remember hearing it mentioned as something on a form they send you.
Hopefully they won't mind as I will dazzle them at interview and they'll give me an unconditional offer. :smile:
*cough* fat chance *cough* :biggrin:

Yep, I know Robinson definitely ask about class sizes, but I think it's more to do with spotting disadvantaged students, not very lucky students :P

Latest

Trending

Trending